E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Transmission behaving strangely...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German Taxi (1987 300E)
Transmission behaving strangely...

I understand that the 260E is a slow 300E, but my car seems to be losing power. When I start it up, it does this strange "rev", where without pressing on the accelerator, the RPM climbs up, then drops back down to below 10. When I'm driving it, and I'm at a complete stop, it takes forever to accelerate--like it's climbing a hill, before it finally speeds up. There are about 300K miles on the car...

Anyone have a similar prob?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by fernan_b
I understand that the 260E is a slow 300E, but my car seems to be losing power. When I start it up, it does this strange "rev", where without pressing on the accelerator, the RPM climbs up, then drops back down to below 10. When I'm driving it, and I'm at a complete stop, it takes forever to accelerate--like it's climbing a hill, before it finally speeds up. There are about 300K miles on the car...

Anyone have a similar prob?
Well I had a moderate trans fluid leak, so (like an idiot, I shouldn't cut corners) so I added trans fluid stop leak.

In many ways it helped my car, and in many ways I feel I ruined it. Although it no longer leaks trans oil, the tranny now shifts stronger, although not better, and it has somewhat ruined that beautiful-smooth like butter shifting it had before.

whatever you do just take it to a shop and see what they say, leave the trans to the pros.

here is a quick tip -

* check your trans oil level (could very well be you have low fluid, and therefore your tranny has the hickups.

good luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:03 PM

Mercedes benz 1991 300ce(RIP), now an 89 300ce
are you sure its the transmission? when did you last change the o2 sensor?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crr1612
good point.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
Originally Posted by crr1612
Oh **** . I've never changed it...I don't know if the old owners did, either...

Thanks, guys =)
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
The wire harness, ignition coils or fuel filter could cause this, and if your transmission does need to be serviced it will usually be over running gears, not shifting when it should

Do you hear any kind of random popping under the car when you have the accelerator all the way down and it is not giving you the power it should?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
The wire harness, ignition coils or fuel filter could cause this, and if your transmission does need to be serviced it will usually be over running gears, not shifting when it should

Do you hear any kind of random popping under the car when you have the accelerator all the way down and it is not giving you the power it should?
Not when I have the accelerator all the way down, but when I shift. It doesn't give me the power it should, and today, it did the weirdest thing. I was on the freeway going about 70--and I swear to god, the accelerator felt like it locked--and it went faster...I thought it wouldn't stop, but I got it to slow down, I pulled over on the shoulder, and I shifted to park, and while it was stopped, the darned car was revving up. I turned it off...

I also checked the tranny fluid level afterwards, and it was low (got some more).

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
I would just like to clarify. Your symptoms have nothing to do with your transmission. Your transmission would not cause your RPMs to surge like that.

Well, I guess there IS a remote chance that it could because when you move the car from park to drive, the RPMs will drop from the load of the transmission. So if the transmission wasn't engaging, your RPMs would remain uneffected. This really doesn't sound like what you are describing, because transmissions cannot make your engine surge. It would either make them drop, or leave them unchanged if it wasn't engaging.

Common causes for your symptoms are: 02 sensor, ovp relay, wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, fuel distributor, EHA adjustment, injectors, sticky idle control valve, bad fuel pump relay (or MAS control unit if you're unlucky enough to have a model with one). Put some Techron injector cleaner in your next new tank of gas, and take it out for a hard drive. High RPMs and high heat. Give it an old italian tune up. See if that helps it.

I have been chasing a very similar problem in my car pretty much for the entire 3 years I've owned it, to no avail. Maybe you'll be luckier than I.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Not when I have the accelerator all the way down, but when I shift. It doesn't give me the power it should, and today, it did the weirdest thing. I was on the freeway going about 70--and I swear to god, the accelerator felt like it locked--and it went faster...I thought it wouldn't stop, but I got it to slow down, I pulled over on the shoulder, and I shifted to park, and while it was stopped, the darned car was revving up. I turned it off...

I also checked the tranny fluid level afterwards, and it was low (got some more).
Sounds like your accelerator cable is stuck. Same thing happened to me last year.

This from a member on benzworld -

"On Sunday I changed out the glow plugs in my '84 300SD and on Monday, the throttle linkage started sticking. Right now it doesn't release very well and I don't like it. I'm pretty sure that I must have done something when changing the glow plugs, but I can't see anything obvious.

The last time I had a linkage problem it was very hard to push the accelerator. I cleaned and grease a few of the linkage connections on top of and around the engine and it worked beautifully. Now, it just doesn't seem to want to release. I thought it was the slotted "cam-follower" arrangement on top of the calve cover, but greasing that did nothing.
Doesn't look like I bend anything.
Anyone have any ideas?"

I sprayed some WD-40 on the linkeage, but listen to my buddy Matt Witter (MG_300), he has the correct info on proper lubrication.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
I sprayed some KY on the linkeage, but listen to my buddy Matt Witter (MG_300), he has the correct info on proper lubrication.
Well, that's what all the ladies say...

The service manual calls for ATF to lube the throttle linkage.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
Well, that's what Saij says...

The service manual calls for ATF to lube the throttle linkage.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
I'm not as good as you guys are when it comes to these cars, so before work, I took her to MBZ...

The assh*le who at first ignored me then finally talked to me...took one look at the car, and said it's not worth it to fix...I should trade it in for a newer model, and I'd probably get $200.00 trade in value. WTF?!

I'm not a violent person--but I felt like punching the motherf*cker.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I'm not as good as you guys are when it comes to these cars, so before work, I took her to MBZ...

The assh*le who at first ignored me then finally talked to me...took one look at the car, and said it's not worth it to fix...I should trade it in for a newer model, and I'd probably get $200.00 trade in value. WTF?!

I'm not a violent person--but I felt like punching the motherf*cker.
what an *******, wow...I cant believe he said that.

how old are you, if you dont mind?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
what an *******, wow...I cant believe he said that.

how old are you, if you dont mind?

The guy had previously asked me (between laughs) if I had paid $500.00 for the car. GRRR
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank

The guy had previously asked me (between laughs) if I had paid $500.00 for the car. GRRR
OK which mechanic is this? So that we may never have to deal with this *****.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
OK which mechanic is this? So that we may never have to deal with this *****.
His name is Dmitry and he works for Mercedes Benz of San Diego. Never go to that dealer...if you happen to be in California.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM

1989300CE(sold),1996Accord,02CBR954
WTF,What are you missing a door or something?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
Originally Posted by bjay51d
WTF,What are you missing a door or something?
LoL No. MBZ of SD is known for being snooty. They make MBZ of Beverly Hills look like the friendliest dealer in town.

I just went to them cos they're fast--goodness knows I won't go there again.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
LoL No. MBZ of SD is known for being snooty. They make MBZ of Beverly Hills look like the friendliest dealer in town.

I just went to them cos they're fast--goodness knows I won't go there again.
if I were you I'd place a complaint.

So you mean to tell me that 20 years from now a current w221 S-class owner will be treated the same? I think not...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
if I were you I'd place a complaint.

So you mean to tell me that 20 years from now a current w221 S-class owner will be treated the same? I think not...
The guy was an *** who wants to make a sale. While I really should just buy a new one...I'm attached to mine. I feel like the new ones don't have character...or personality. They're not as fun--they've (all automobiles) become Toyota-ized.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Yes, he was rude. You are better than I, I wouldn't have left the stealership without making it right. You are correct, IMO the newer ones do seem more sterile, but I've never driven one.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM

German Taxi (1987 300E)
Originally Posted by shdoug
Yes, he was rude. You are better than I, I wouldn't have left the stealership without making it right. You are correct, IMO the newer ones do seem more sterile, but I've never driven one.
The dealership (one of two in San Diego) is full of guys like him. I don't know how else to make it right than to just leave. I won't go back to the stealership again...

I did, however, find this wonderful mechanic who trained at Mercedes Benz, and I went to his shop, and was completely satisfied. Trouble is, he's one of two mechanics, their shop is completely full, so they have a 24+ hr turnaround time...
Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
I had exactly the same symptoms you describe on my '87 260E...OVP relay solved everything. Cheap part the simply plugs in like a wall socket and takes all of two minutes to replace. Sorry you had to deal with such an idiot, don't give him another thought!

Goodl uck!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Yeah i would never trust a dealership with any car i own, they are way overpriced, usually don't know what they are doing and i have heard stories where they atually cause problems on perpose while servicing your car so you will spend more money

I have found that the best guys to take it too are knowledgeable former dealership technicians that have their own private shop, the prices are much lower, they usually know the cars inside out and most of the time can diagnose a problem without even opening the hood