E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

3.0 liter AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S14
Originally Posted by Parshman
Hey garfunkle let me know if I should add anything to my ebay post. Also if you have any thoughts about the car I'd like to hear them, you appear to know a lot, you can give me a call at 40-279-3149. Oh rooney theres no beef just was all suprised but I realize how obscure these cars are now from the headache giving research.
I am no expert, I just did a lot of research on the early 90's model W124 AMG's before I bought my car. I know a lot about the basic stuff, from what I have seen and read. I will definitely advise you on anything I can find about this car in the next day or so. As far as I can tell, your eBay listing has everything it needs. You do, however, need to incorporate the specs you sent me into the listing for authenticity purposes. Good Luck man, I wish I was the one making payment arrangements for that car.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Range Rover Classic
Sportlines are fairly rare in the US. The seats, steering wheel, the original shifter, the swaybars, the steering box, and many of the rubber bushings are Sportline specific. You would be able to get a premium on it, perhaps a thousand perhaps two thousand. It depends on the buyer on and if he or she knew what they were looking at and were buying for that reason. My mechanic bought his sportline 300E for just three thousand total.

The AMG kit does change things. You can check if its genuine by examining the lower lip of either the rear spoiler or the front spoiler. It will look something like this.

(Second Generation Rear Apron Part Badging)

The entire kit could have cost six thousand plus. Add in the monoblocks* (if again genuine) thats another fourteen hundred. Painting could have cost a great deal.

*The fact that they've been chromed is would reduce their value on average.

My two nits are the wheels and the gearshift (not factory). It does sport clear Euro style turn signals, a Gloria, a hazard triangle, and the Dual Climate Zone AC. The first three you can get aftermarket (as I have) but the AC was never offered as an option in the US.

While they were collaborating during that period AMG was only bought in the mid nineties. Any AMG modifications would have been made after it left Mercedes. Given the lack of an AMG VIN badge, an AMG steering wheel, or any AMG interior trim (does appear to have the exhaust though) I'd guess the additions were was made independently after it was purchased and probably by a third party.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:54 PM

300E
Originally Posted by Eliot
Sportlines are fairly rare in the US. The seats, steering wheel, the original shifter, the swaybars, the steering box, and many of the rubber bushings are Sportline specific. You would be able to get a premium on it, perhaps a thousand perhaps two thousand. It depends on the buyer on and if he or she knew what they were looking at and were buying for that reason. My mechanic bought his sportline 300E for just three thousand total.

The AMG kit does change things. You can check if its genuine by examining the lower lip of either the rear spoiler or the front spoiler. It will look something like this.

(Second Generation Rear Apron Part Badging)

The entire kit could have cost six thousand plus. Add in the monoblocks* (if again genuine) thats another fourteen hundred. Painting could have cost a great deal.

*The fact that they've been chromed is would reduce their value on average.

My two nits are the wheels and the gearshift (not factory). It does sport clear Euro style turn signals, a Gloria, a hazard triangle, and the Dual Climate Zone AC. The first three you can get aftermarket (as I have) but the AC was never offered as an option in the US.

While they were collaborating during that period AMG was only bought in the mid nineties. Any AMG modifications would have been made after it left Mercedes. Given the lack of an AMG VIN badge, an AMG steering wheel, or any AMG interior trim (does appear to have the exhaust though) I'd guess the additions were was made independently after it was purchased and probably by a third party.
I hate to say but you are wrong. I have from Mercedes the purchased options from mercedes which left off the assembly line if you would like it I can e-mail it to you, just give me your e-mail. Garfunkle has already inspected the option sheet, and has confirmed that everything listed is genuine. The chrom wheels on the car in the picture are the second set of wheels I'm selling with the car, right now the original monoblock painted inside wheels are on the vehicle. To cover the gear shift it does list the sportline shifter in the option list but it was changed out for the wood grain one which is authentic MB from assembly line. When I was doing a brake job I did see the AMG sticker on the suspension and the sway bars looked offly thick for being factory. Also the brakes are different then a normal 3ooE the front is 4 piston and the rear are 2 piston will brake sensor embedded in all 4 pads, had to bring the originals in in order to get pad which ran nearly 200 for front and back. Whats a gloria?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Range Rover Classic
The seat mounted Fire Extinguisher = Gloria.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:17 PM

300E
Ah never heard it called that before.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Nah Garfunkle not talking about you just the guy rooney and pifcat, I sent you a message
Parshman,

Sorry you read "hate" in my responses, that was not my intent or in any of my words. I merely provided my experience to this thread. Opposing facts or opinions are natural in any public forum. If you search, you will find other examples of people discussing AMG authentication. As you are discovering, it drastically affects the value of a car. You can email me a copy of the paperwork to pifcat2@yahoo.com

I do hope you get a fair price for the car by an enthusiast...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:41 PM

300E
Its cool man, it was partly my fault becuase the ad sounded so scetchy but now I know more about it I'm about to send you the spec sheet now
Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 PM

300E
Pifcat any thoughts from my spec sheet I sent you? Also is there Anyone in this forum interested in buying my car?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
If you can - please email me the spec sheet as well.

chrisdpham @ gmail
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 AM
CLJ

300E
Sorry for being a sceptic but I have seen a genuine W124 AMG and this eBay car is missing the tell tale signs...

When AMG finished the car it had 2 AMG authenticity plates stamped to the top of the m104 engine stating its details including the KW, capacity and a short list of approved spark plugs. The boot had an AMG label next to the release catch stating the specifications of the tyres and wheels. Below the odometer was a large AMG logo where the VDO logo usually is, but all these are missing from the photos. Additionally as far as I know the boot lid spoiler was always one piece, NOT a mould placed over the body work and as for the engine being 2.6L originally, well there never was a 2.6L M104! The car seems dodgy and without real certificates I doubt very much this car is a real AMG.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 AM

Range Rover Classic
Spoiler is actually a three piece, one for each fender and then one for the boot lid itself.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM

300E
Originally Posted by CLJ
Sorry for being a sceptic but I have seen a genuine W124 AMG and this eBay car is missing the tell tale signs...

When AMG finished the car it had 2 AMG authenticity plates stamped to the top of the m104 engine stating its details including the KW, capacity and a short list of approved spark plugs. The boot had an AMG label next to the release catch stating the specifications of the tyres and wheels. Below the odometer was a large AMG logo where the VDO logo usually is, but all these are missing from the photos. Additionally as far as I know the boot lid spoiler was always one piece, NOT a mould placed over the body work and as for the engine being 2.6L originally, well there never was a 2.6L M104! The car seems dodgy and without real certificates I doubt very much this car is a real AMG.
CLJ do you want the spec sheet? I think that if amg didn't do engine work that they didn't change the vin plates. all the AMG stuff on my car is ligit(I know its hard to believe) and I didn't say the 2.6L was an m104. I'm saying the available models for this car in the us for 1992 were the m103, except in the CE which my car is not a coupe.

Last edited by Parshman; 03-12-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
CLJ

300E
Yeh i'll have a look at the spec sheet.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 AM

300E
I'm just gonna post the spec sheet. And then I'll hear all about it I know it.

In regard to your request you can find the specifications of your vehicle with the VIN-number WDB1240311B823769 enclosed. However we unfortunately only have this information in German, we hope it is still helpful to you.

CODE MEANING

199U BLAUSCHWARZ - METALLIC
271A LEDER SCHWARZ
221 FAHRERSITZ LINKS ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR
222 FAHRERSITZ RECHTS ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR
243 SPORTSITZE VORN UND HINTEN (W202 NUR HINTEN)
260 WEGFALL TYPKENNZEICHEN AUF HECKDECKEL
281 LEDERLENKRAD (390 MM) MIT SPORTLICHEM DESIGN UND LEDERSCHALTHEBEL
291 AIRBAG FÜR FAHRER UND BEIFAHRER
300 ABLAGEBOX IN ABLAGESCHALE VORN
363 NACHTRÄGE

412 SCHIEBE-HEBE-DACH ELEKTRISCH IN STAHLAUSFÜHRUNG
420 GETRIEBE AUTOMATISCH 4-GANG
430 KOPFSTÜTZEN IM FOND
471 ANTRIEBS-SCHLUPFREGELUNG (ASR)
531 ANTENNE AUTOMATISCH
543 SONNENBLENDEN MIT MAKE-UP-SPIEGEL LINKS UND RECHTS BELEUCHTET
585 580+583
580 KLIMAANLAGE
583 ELEKTRISCHE FENSTERHEBER, FAHRERTÜREN
590 WÄRMEDÄMMENDES GRÜNES GLAS RUNDUM, HEIZBARE HECKSCHEIBE

620 ABGASREINIGUNGSANLAGE
645 WINTERREIFEN M + S
653 SPORTFAHRWERK MIT LEICHTMETALLRÄDERN 8-LOCH UND BREITREIFEN
662 20 LITER KRAFTSTOFF
682 FEUERLÖSCHER
731 HOLZAUSFÜHRUNG WURZELNUSS
751 RADIO BECKER GRAND PRIX 2000 VK RDS
772 AMG-OPTIK-PAKET - FRONTSPOILER, SEITENSCHWELLER UND HECKSCHÜRZE
773 HECKSPOILER 3-TEILIG
775 KÜHLERMASKE IN WAGENFARBE

777 ENDSCHALLDÄMPFER IN AMG-DESIGN
779 AMG-FELGEN, INNENTEIL IN MB199 (BLAUSCHWARZ-METALLIC)
781 AMG-SPORTFAHRWERK MIT AMG-FELGEN (SONDERFORMAT)
873 SITZHEIZUNG FAHRERSITZ LINKS UND RECHTS

We hope to have been of help.

Last edited by Parshman; 03-12-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 AM

1992 400E
I don't know why so many of you are doubting the authenticity of this AMG. The car was built before AMG became a part of Mercedes, so a customer could order whatever AMG components he wanted--you could get an AMG bodykit and AMG suspension without a tuned engine. I know of weveral W126's with the same AMG treatment, but with no DOHC M117. Does this make them fake? no way!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 AM

300E
Originally Posted by Legoinsaniac
I don't know why so many of you are doubting the authenticity of this AMG. The car was built before AMG became a part of Mercedes, so a customer could order whatever AMG components he wanted--you could get an AMG bodykit and AMG suspension without a tuned engine. I know of weveral W126's with the same AMG treatment, but with no DOHC M117. Does this make them fake? no way!
Are you saying this car is authentic AMG, and it has an amg value. What do you think about it proving that AMG had something to do with the sportline models?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM

1995 S14
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
If you can - please email me the spec sheet as well.

chrisdpham @ gmail
sent
Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Are you saying this car is authentic AMG, and it has an amg value. What do you think about it proving that AMG had something to do with the sportline models?
My boss says the spec sheet read

AMG exterior "style" and AMG seatbelts.

I dont know if "style" takes anything away from it (value) but my boss does state that it is infact factory installed (even the metallic color is AMG)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM

300E
This car sometimes gives me a headache. Especially when proving its an AMG.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 AM

1995 S14
It's a sign, keep it!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM

300E
I can't treat it the way it should be treated, like keeping it in a garage, taking it to shows. (its in an overhang bay right now $40 a month) Plus I want to get a sail boat my true love. But I know for a fact I will miss this car, but apparently no one thinks this car is that valuable.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I would go ahead and say that it in fact is factory amg kitted. If the build sheet says it, I dont think MB would bull****.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM

300E
Anyone know a collector that might be interested in this car?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM

1995 S14
I can't treat it the way it should be treated, like keeping it in a garage, taking it to shows. (its in an overhang bay right now $40 a month) Plus I want to get a sail boat my true love. But I know for a fact I will miss this car, but apparently no one thinks this car is that valuable.
I would give my left you know what for this car, plus 20k. You don't even know man, you just don't know....
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Anyone know a collector that might be interested in this car?
I have heard and seen cars from a place here in Boston called

www.copleymotorcars.com that are collectible.

talk to them, see if their interested.

They buy nothing but Rare, sought after vehicles.

hey you never know unless you give it a try right? Check out the website.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.0 liter AMG?