E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Supercharging '87 300e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 300CE
the m103 engines are extremely tugh! they can take upto 350hp on stock internals, but with diferent fuel management and ignition. over the 350hp, you need forged pistons and a lower CR (8:1), over 1bar of boost and a tough tranny. if you want to rock the house (big time), go for the hole 9 yards: custom ECU (Autronic, Haltech, Megasquirt), ignition, forged rods and pistons...
botom line is, it can be done... not easy, but it can be done.
home made kits an get away with a corect sized blower, a piggy-back setup, small intercooler and a rebuild head and tranny...
good luck, my friend, and take your time!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 260 E
I think you guys lost the point, it's the passion and love for a particular car that's why he did it. Would it have been cheaper for him to buy a newer faster car hell yeah, but his passion for the W124 drives him and his pocketbook.

Cali
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 AM

1989 190E 3.0L 5speed
I've been looking for turbo manifolds for my car for a while now and after researching all the fuel management bull***** that has be properly tuned and whatnot I don't think that it is worth the money to try to hop up one of these engines (mine is an m103) at almost 140,000 miles. I looked into swapping the m103 for an m104 but the 40 hp gain is also barely worth the money and work
That is where a c36 AMG (m104 3.6) comes into play all I have to do is find one... But from what I hear this engine should still bolt-up to my tranny and everything.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 AM

"88 300CE- First Year Production
Finally when I step away for a while you all start talking aprt supercharging. Guys it simple the centrifigal supercharger is the answer, the only difficult thing is getting a bracket welded down to specs. Possibly replace that one injector to a bigger size. and then later the others? Or am I going too far? I just got done doing all of this to my explorer.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 AM

Yeah you can find that engine but don't be surprized to see the price of that engine almost or maybe double what the m104 is.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Finally when I step away for a while you all start talking aprt supercharging. Guys it simple the centrifigal supercharger is the answer, the only difficult thing is getting a bracket welded down to specs. Possibly replace that one injector to a bigger size. and then later the others? Or am I going too far? I just got done doing all of this to my explorer.
Makahveli -All you need is a bracket and a hat for the air box to make it work. If it works on carburated engines it should work fine on our cars. You can also connect it to an intercooler. Paxton, pro charger make all good superchargers..

spmbass - since your car is either going to need a lot of work or be sold can you try out a high voltage coil?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 AM

1986 300E
A high voltage coil will give you no extra power, unless you are having a problem with misfires right now. I just upgraded the ignition on my turbo eclipse from the stock coilpack with wires to a c.o.p. system that is capable of twice the spark power, and the only thing I gained is the ability to go WOT without the car misfiring. High boost and/or compression is the only good reason to upgrade to a higher voltage ignition. Spend the money on something that will improve airfolw into or out of the engine. That will give you power.

Back on topic....

I install custom turbo kits on all types of cars, and there is no way around upgrading the fuel system. If you blow more air into the engine, you have to shoot more fuel in... simple as that. If you put a turbo or supercharger on an engine and don't compensate with extra fuel, you'll melt or break things... expensive things. The cheapest way on a 300E is with an AIC, but that's far from the best way. The best way is a custom stnadalone system like the megasquirt. Either one is a project for someone with ALOT of experience with forced induction.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 AM

A bigger injector setup won't be the fix for the fuel upgrade? I was looking under the hood one day and seen that all the fuel is pumped through one fuel injector then goes into the fuel distributor and then out to the 6 continuest running injectors. Since they aren't regulated, how big of a role does that first (real) injector really play? So comment on this please.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 AM

Mercedes benz 1991 300ce(RIP), now an 89 300ce
Originally Posted by destrux
A high voltage coil will give you no extra power, unless you are having a problem with misfires right now. I just upgraded the ignition on my turbo eclipse from the stock coilpack with wires to a c.o.p. system that is capable of twice the spark power, and the only thing I gained is the ability to go WOT without the car misfiring. High boost and/or compression is the only good reason to upgrade to a higher voltage ignition. Spend the money on something that will improve airfolw into or out of the engine. That will give you power.

Back on topic....

I install custom turbo kits on all types of cars, and there is no way around upgrading the fuel system. If you blow more air into the engine, you have to shoot more fuel in... simple as that. If you put a turbo or supercharger on an engine and don't compensate with extra fuel, you'll melt or break things... expensive things. The cheapest way on a 300E is with an AIC, but that's far from the best way. The best way is a custom stnadalone system like the megasquirt. Either one is a project for someone with ALOT of experience with forced induction.

doesnt an increased coil power allow for you to increase the plug gap, giving a stronger spark and increasing fuel burning efficiency?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM

'88 300CE
a bigger injector, isn't the solution with Jetronic... the system can't deliver more fuel, period.
more air - more fuel! simple enough, yet dificult to manage... increased coil power is a a cheap 1'st stage solution. COP is the way to go, expensive but more eficient...
over the past two years, I've been reading a lot of horse ch^t, trying to setle on a solution to give my m103 (12v, I6, 188hp), 150-200hp more... with all the info gathered, I can summ the folowing:

stage 1:
Jetronic still on, twin turbo (small k04's), 8psi, small front mount cooler, 3 injectors with piggy-back (AEM, Apexi, Haltech, the sort), upgraded coil. output 300-350hp

stage 2:

Megasquirt (or Autronic, Haltech, AEM, etc.), with CDI, twin turbo (same k04's, or gt28's), 1bar, forged pistons, front mount cooler, upgraded gearbox, etc. (list is long). output 400-450hp

stage 3:

check Pumpish! Roman and his nordic fellas are crazy, and they really now theyre bizzz...

output ...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I never said it would give you more HP but it will give you better throttle response. There is no performance aftermarket for the w124 and using coil on plugs on a m103 is too expensive and installing the sensors is a PIA. I've turbo 5.0 mustangs but i'm not going to compare how easy that was because most parts could be ordered from a catalog.

Before we start bench racing we need to know what kind of hp and how much money you guys are willing to spend. I'm sure there is a way to get more fuel out of the CIS system and we just need to find it. If money is not an option anything can be done but point is that we need to find ways to work with what we have.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Mercedes benz 1991 300ce(RIP), now an 89 300ce
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
I never said it would give you more HP but it will give you better throttle response. There is no performance aftermarket for the w124 and using coil on plugs on a m103 is too expensive and installing the sensors is a PIA. I've turbo 5.0 mustangs but i'm not going to compare how easy that was because most parts could be ordered from a catalog.

Before we start bench racing we need to know what kind of hp and how much money you guys are willing to spend. I'm sure there is a way to get more fuel out of the CIS system and we just need to find it. If money is not an option anything can be done but point is that we need to find ways to work with what we have.
i wish i had some throttle response once i hit about 3k rpm on the highway throttle response increases greatly
Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM

'87 300E
Exactly!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/supercharger-m...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 PM

'87 300E
And how will that work with the stock fuel system?