E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

turbo choices (for those who have researched)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300ce
turbo choices (for those who have researched)

Ok so im looking at power options for my 300ce project car. Now on to the turbo question. What are some good makes/models of turbos whos maps correspond well with that of an m103 engine?

Also if you are running a custom turbo please state the model of the turbo, diameter piping, and engine management for the car.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in other words

hi
im new to this forum and cant be bothered to use the search function, so just tell me everything i want to know.
kthxbye
Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Wow....you're gonna get a lot of people answering you. LOL
Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by zebinheimer
Ok so im looking at power options for my 300ce project car. Now on to the turbo question. What are some good makes/models of turbos whos maps correspond well with that of an m103 engine?

Also if you are running a custom turbo please state the model of the turbo, diameter piping, and engine management for the car.

There are no systems with "maps " that correspond with the M103-12V.
Remember the KE-Jetronic III injection system is CIS-E or semi mechanical so it can't be "mapped"

Only two reliable twin turbo kits were produced for the M103-12V.
The period kits were made by Mosselmann and Turbotechnics.
Kits have been out of production for over fifteen years.
Some may still be found on the secondary market.
Well over one hundred intsalls dating back to the late eighties and many still running with over 150K miles !

Both used two small turbos in parallel similar in size to a Garrett T2 with fixed .48 bar boost.

Main differences were in the enrichment method and location of intercoolers.

Produced about 300HP/Torque with stock engine internals.

The M103 is a good choice for boost as it has a stock 9.2:1 CR and is stronger then the later M104-24V.

I have yet to see any one off installs posting real world acceleration data, but some claim 400-600+ RWP.

You are new to this forum, so I suggest you use the "search" feature on this and other forums and all your questions will be quickly answered in depth !!!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 PM

1988 300ce
Originally Posted by neanderthal
in other words

hi
im new to this forum and cant be bothered to use the search function, so just tell me everything i want to know.
kthxbye

in otherwards, this is much more efficient than searching through the 300,000 "is it possible to turbo my car, oh i cant just slap one on? nvm then" threads, and my question is more specific, what turbo models (not kits) are suitable for the m103 and as rbycc just demonstrated, my question was answered shortly without the messy sorting through of threads

This is not the first time ive searched/contacted others on this, I have talked to pumpish and several others, I just like to keep all options in mind.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 PM

1988 300ce
RBYCC how about something similar to this, one single .84 a/r as opposed to two smaller? (i know i know lag) just curious.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in otherwards, this is much more efficient than searching through the 300,000 "is it possible to turbo my car, oh i cant just slap one on? nvm then" threads, and my question is more specific, what turbo models (not kits) are suitable for the m103 and as rbycc just demonstrated, my question was answered shortly without the messy sorting through of threads

This is not the first time ive searched/contacted others on this, I have talked to pumpish and several others, I just like to keep all options in mind.
actually, your question started in typical noob speak

Ok so im looking at power options for my 300ce project car.
that there, in and off itself, was enough to tell me all i wanted to know. coz just about everyone new here is looking at adding power to their cars. and most don't bother to use the search function.

if you would have bothered to state this "research" that youve done, or posted some ideas or theories or speculation, well, that would have been a whole different ball of wax, innit?

instead, we got...

Now on to the turbo question. What are some good makes/models of turbos whos maps correspond well with that of an m103 engine?
this told me the rest of what i needed to know.

it came across as "i cant be arsed to look any of this stuff up. or even to look at what similar size engines (nissan, toyota, mitsubishi, audi, porsche etc all made engines of ~3 liters that were turboed) used for turbos"
and coming back to reread it again in light of what you posted, it still reads the same.

Last edited by neanderthal; 12-28-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 PM

1988 300ce
well i find it difficult to relate any 3.0l japanese engine to the m103 3.0l in terms of power throughout any particular point in the rev range.in any case thanks to rbycc for answering my question and putting some substance into this thread, neanderthal if you can find another thread that specifically asks the same question as I feel free to post the link, all else is wasted space here
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
well i find it difficult to relate any 3.0l japanese engine to the m103 3.0l in terms of power throughout any particular point in the rev range.in any case thanks to rbycc for answering my question and putting some substance into this thread, neanderthal if you can find another thread that specifically asks the same question as I feel free to post the link, all else is wasted space here
Not a problem....

I've owned my 300CE since I took it off the showroom floor in May of 1988.

Know well the two main manufacturers that produced the kits in the late eighties, along with the theory of two small turbos.
My installer was written up in Autoweek in 1987 for doing the Mosselmann installs on a W124...

The search will give you in depth background on any subject.

However, I find those as the poster who was a bit arrogant are typically individuals who really can't contribute to the subject matter.
They tend to set them self up as self proclaimed thread monitors...guess it's an ego thing.
They must have a great deal of idle time to police all the topics.
Easier just to pass up a thread if you have nothing productive to add.

I live by "if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all " !!!

Forums are to share specific knowledge and oft times you can get a response that a search will never show !!!