E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need name for whinning M103 Pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 w124 260E
Need name for whinning M103 Pulley

Hey !!

I just got a 90' 260E W124 and I'm super happy with the car, I have owned many cars/SUVs before but non compares to the 260E W124...I am in love with it and bought it for keepsss...I have a few things to repair on it before I can fully get to appreciate it and feel it out...I started with a DIY oil change and fuel filter change which seemed to be well needed....transmission fluid and filter this week and I want to change a whinning pulley that makes noise on starting and also when driving....
I identified the noisy pulley to be the one ontop of the water pump, it's located just above the reservoir with the power steering fluid(if you know how I can change the P/S fluid I would be grateful for some advice)
I 'm not sure of the name of the pulley????....I have seen many differeent names but confused...does anybody know the correct name ????
I would like to order it this week...

Next I will attempt another DIY to change the valve stem seals, I see some white smoke intermitently when the engine idles and when i speed up suddenely and stop....

I am happy to find a W124 forum where I can correspond with fellow w124 lovers....

Cheers All!!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
This is the tool I used to do the valve stem seals w/o removing the head. You'll need two people to do this though. A kid will work...just someone to remove the valve shims + seals while you hold the spring out the way.

Of course, first check if it really is the valve stem seals. Your plugs should look like this: (bare in mind mine were leaking like no other...but the color + deposits should be the same)

Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by ps2cho
This is the tool I used to do the valve stem seals w/o removing the head. You'll need two people to do this though. A kid will work...just someone to remove the valve shims + seals while you hold the spring out the way.

Of course, first check if it really is the valve stem seals. Your plugs should look like this: (bare in mind mine were leaking like no other...but the color + deposits should be the same)

Hmmm that sparkplug deposit looks famillar.... I really need to do a complete head overhaul. Did you pick that spring compressor up from Harbor Freight?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
I actually got it off ebay, but they may carry it as well.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

1990 w124 260E
Thanks much for the tip on checking the spark plugs, I will definately do that and see.... got a name for the noisy pulley???
Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 PM

'98 S500
Pulley - If there is a small shock absorber attached, it is the belt tensioner pulley.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 AM

1990 w124 260E
Need help to replace the belt tensioner on my W124 (M103)

Originally Posted by jharrisiii
Pulley - If there is a small shock absorber attached, it is the belt tensioner pulley.
Hey jharris, thanks alot, it is actually the belt tensioner pulley making the whinning sound..i got the pulley from my part shop and I am now trying to figure out how to replace it myself...

I have read a few threads and some people have said it is a quick fixer...5 - 20 minutes, but no instructions or pictuers on how to do it....I am not so sure, it looks like I will have to remove the fan and maybe my radiator to get to the pulley properly...does anybody know how to do this... I also nee to replace my valve stem seals and would do both at the same time...thanks much..
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM

1990 w124 260E
Thanks for the advise PS2cho, I checked my spark plugs and they looked pretty much like the pics you posted....I will take on the valve replacement job soon, I think i can do it myself, i also need to replace my tensioner pulley at the same time but still looking for some detailed instructions and pictures for both jobs...anymore help or advise is very much appreciated....thanks again...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM

'98 S500
Don't know a quick way to replace just the pully.

If it is the pulley, my advice is to change all of the connecting pieces. It just a matter of time before you have to do it anyway, so do it now while you have it apart.

belt tensioner assembly (includes pulley)
follow this link for an example at Autohausaz
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...ber=1032000870

shock
belt if the ribs are broken/breaking

Faulty memory but I think this is what is required
Remove fan shroud
remove fan - don't need to remove radiator
remove two pulleys
remove serpentine belt
drop the ps pump
remove top tensioner shock bolt
remove tensioner/mounting bracket

reverse to reinstall

Let me know if you need more details. I have a few pictures of the process.

J
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by MercJam
Thanks for the advise PS2cho, I checked my spark plugs and they looked pretty much like the pics you posted....I will take on the valve replacement job soon, I think i can do it myself, i also need to replace my tensioner pulley at the same time but still looking for some detailed instructions and pictures for both jobs...anymore help or advise is very much appreciated....thanks again...
I just posted my thread. I finished it a few days ago. Just flushed the block as the coolant was STILL coming out with a brown stinky horrible color...Hopefully this time its clean. I am driving again daily starting tomorrow so we will see if its still burning any oil. I discovered my valve guides are shot, but unless it is still burning a lot of oil, I am going to leave it be for now.

Here's the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...placement.html

Remember you must have a compressor able to do at least 5bar. You need 5bar to do the job.

Last edited by ps2cho; 12-07-2009 at 01:43 AM.