E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Buy a Fire Extinguisher!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Buy a Fire Extinguisher!!

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=241899

Thread made me sad What a loss....I went and bought a Fire Extinguisher today. I suggest you all do it. $15 from Walmart may save your car, and even more importantly, your life.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Wow. Terrifying. Would really like to get my hands on the under-seat fire extinguisher.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 400E, 1994 E420, 2000 SL500, 2014 C250
That sucks...that was a beautiful 123......how appropriate that he had to pull over next to a cemetery.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 AM

1989 300E
I tell you its worth every penny to have a fire extinguisher with you. I had an alternator fire last summer in my suburban. Its an old one with a 454, and you couldn't even tell it siezed.

Needless to say if I wasn't lucky enough to pull over where there was a park ranger I wouldn't have had anything to tow home.

After that I have one in each car (the long life marine ones) two in my kitchen and a spare in the garage.

Its worth it to never have to use it.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
I'm naive about bullets/ammo/guns for the most part but couldn't that have been VERY dangerous with the glock in the glove box catching fire? REALLY bright idea keeping a gun in the car, clearly.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Potentially could have been dangerous. However, some people feel that carrying a firearm (despite its inherent risks) far outweigh the risk of not carrying one.

Not sure how common this sentiment is outside of the USA, but it is fairly common here.
I keep my hunting bow in the trunk and carry a knife 24/7....
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
I'm carrying...

a fire extinguisher.

GloriaWerkes 1kg Halon

Last edited by 190E 16V; 02-17-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Insert link
Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Hey, do you find that the fire extinguisher gets in the way or presses against your legs?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
I'm naive about bullets/ammo/guns for the most part but couldn't that have been VERY dangerous with the glock in the glove box catching fire? REALLY bright idea keeping a gun in the car, clearly.
Mark, please review the threads re. Rik's MB "Glock Box".
THAT safely stores the Glock away from the source of the combustion. You should be able to dive from the vehicle, to safety, before the rounds get hot enough to go off between your legs.

It would be more Canadian for you to carry a hockey stick, though. ;-)

Last edited by 190E 16V; 02-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Hey, do you find that the fire extinguisher gets in the way or presses against your legs?
Not at all!
Good location for it actually.

OMG, you are really tempting me to say more, with a straight line, like that...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Haha, go for it :P
Just wondering about it. I'm not sure whether I want it under my seat annoying me or under the passenger seat which is largely empty. I can reach there in case of an accident pretty easily...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Haha, go for it :P
Just wondering about it. I'm not sure whether I want it under my seat annoying me or under the passenger seat which is largely empty. I can reach there in case of an accident pretty easily...
It really does not get in the way. I don't even touch it getting in or out either. I thought it might be annoying too, but I don't have to do anything to avoid it - it's as though it's not there.

However, Rik has mounted his extinguisher on the passenger seat, so that he could mount his "Glock Box" on the driver's side, for easy access!

They even use the same bracket. I intend to mount my Glock Box on the passenger side, with ready cash in it, to pay off would-be attackers - no guns in Canada.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
If it's not too much trouble, could you post part numbers for the bracket and any other needed mb parts, plus where to buy the extinguisher.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 560SL
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
If it's not too much trouble, could you post part numbers for the bracket and any other needed mb parts, plus where to buy the extinguisher.

Thanks!
Best ask 2Phast. I bought mine from him, after he sourced another one.
I think they are Euro-only options, that come from German Ebay or other euro-suppliers.
There is a bit of difficulty importing because they are pressurized and therefore a "Hazardous" item when it comes to shipping.
Brackets are readily available here. I may have those part numbers on other correspondance, as it is the same for the Oddments (Glock) Box.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Originally Posted by rivcal4life

Thanks!
Jeff has a few available kits lying around, ask him the next time you're there.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Who is Jeff? I'm pretty interested in this.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Potentially could have been dangerous. However, some people feel that carrying a firearm (despite its inherent risks) far outweigh the risk of not carrying one.

Not sure how common this sentiment is outside of the USA, but it is fairly common here.
I keep my hunting bow in the trunk and carry a knife 24/7....
Canadians don't need to carry guns.

I find it very hard to believe that so many americans find themselves requiring a gun in their car. I have traveled all over the US and I've never seen the need....maybe it's just me though.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its a uniquely American thing.

If you ask me its a uniquely small ***** thing.

I get the gun at home for home defense thing. But unless you are carrying loads of cash from your business, I see no need to have one on you everywhere you go.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Let's not stray away from the thread topic towards NRA.org...Everybody has their opinions.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
I don't think the topic really IS straying...the OP clearly made comments about his gun, there isn't much left to discuss about the fire....sure sucks, it was a nice car, extinguisher would have been nice etc. The real discussion is that he had a firearm with ammo in a burning car and fire/rescue was in danger cause he feels so threatened on a daily basis.

Not trying to stir the pot, it's a valid discussion.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Canadians don't need to carry guns.
I find it very hard to believe that so many americans find themselves requiring a gun in their car. I have traveled all over the US and I've never seen the need....maybe it's just me though.
I don't think there is a need in most places. Some areas can be... less than friendly to people of certain colors, ethnic backgrounds, sexes, whatevers... So, in those instances where you know you will be traveling an area that is not friendly, perhaps I see the justification.

I think the real reason we love our guns so much is because we love our freedom and one of the founding tenets of our society was the right to freely bear arms.

Me? The bow is for when I go target shooting and the knife is an essential tool for everyday tasks. Knife + flashlight are carried on me wherever I go.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo

I think the real reason we love our guns so much is because we love our freedom and one of the founding tenets of our society was the right to freely bear arms.
I know this probably will lead to an argument but that is what I find TRULY ironic. Guns = freedom? Since when?

Canada is just as free if not more than the US and no one here feels the need for guns.

Whatever though, I love my neighbours to the south and no one I know down there carries, so it's not like it's a rampant problem or anything....just an observation.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Nah, no argument. I don't think the guns = freedom. I think people view it as a representation of the freedoms we are assured here. I'm not certain. As I said, I only carry tools with me, not weapons.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM

1989 300E
It isn't the guns that equal freedom, it's the ability to choose and not be prevented from choosing. Anywhere you go will will find choices are abused or justified wrong.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM

Bomple Woggle
I know this probably will lead to an argument but that is what I find TRULY ironic. Guns = freedom? Since when?

Canada is just as free if not more than the US and no one here feels the need for guns.

Whatever though, I love my neighbours to the south and no one I know down there carries, so it's not like it's a rampant problem or anything....just an observation.
Clearly in Canada you must not have a brotha (black) or amigo (Hispanic) problem. So what does being PC mean again? And where might those places - more specifically neighborhoods - you've travelled in the states be again? Inquiring minds would like to know. Beverly Hills? Walnut Creek? Danville?

There are MANY crime-ridden places (ironic for a "1st" world, "developed" nation isn't it) in the United States in which you really stick out like a sore thumb if you don't belong in one of those two racial groups. It's not about paranoia or machoism for many folks. It's about being street smart and protecting oneself and their family members. We have a huge gang/thug problem all over the country and the ACLU unfortunately fights tirelessly for the rights of criminals, gangs and terrorists while filing amicus briefs with the court that you and I don't have the right to defend ourselves from their criminal and terrorist clientele. Gangs should be declared domestic terrorists and the individual member an enemy combatant. These 'people' are a more of a threat to the US than goat herders in Afghanistan.

We as a society are way too concerned about "Civil Rights" and less concerned about protecting the law abiding citizens of our nation. As it stands, gang-banging thugs are laughing at the criminals justice system in it's current state. The scum are winning & the law abiding citizens, police.........are losing the battle.

What's more, the white society is soft and we coddle criminals. We hear European countries and our liberal media talk about how we have more people locked up in prison per population per capita compared to any first world country. But what they conveniently don't say is that these same European countries aren't inundated with blacks and Hispanics. You can continue to be blinded by the truth and look the other way but statistics don't lie brotha man.

America has allowed a segment of society to conduct war on America for far too long. It's a war, like in any other lawless state in the world, weapons-murder-drugs-human traffic to name a litany of transgressions has become standards. Stand up together against these thugs who usurp your turf or suffer the consequences. When will you tire of the story of the lovely young man or women shot down by these pukes/punks. Your political correctness and politicians are killing the essence of freedom, the correctness of freedom, and the civil right for all of us who wish to live in safety and social harmony.

Last edited by CaliAgents1688; 02-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buy a Fire Extinguisher!!