E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Nifty little safety gadet...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 MB 300TE, 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Nifty little safety gadet...

Take a look at this liitle safety feature that I found at ipdusa.com

"Brake Warning System

While traveling on Germany's Autobahn last summer we noticed that some cars and most commercial trucks had an effective warning device that was activated whenever traffic came to a sudden stop. At first we thought that it must be a law or that some of the drivers were just very courteous in trying to warn others that there was an accident or some other obstruction in the road. Whenever traffic would stop in a panic, the emergency flashers on some cars would come on for a few seconds. Later while attending the Frankfurt Automechanika car parts show we learned that what we saw was a popular accessory that could be added to any car. The “Automatic Warning” system uses an accelerometer to activate your cars emergency flashers for 6 seconds whenever it senses a panic stop. We bought one at the show and installed it on our new V70. It took about 30 minutes to install with common tools and it has been working great ever since (4 wires, power, ground, left and right turn signals). I've only seen it come on twice other than when I was testing it, which is a good sign that it works properly and won't be one of those annoying things that everybody eventually just ignores (like car alarms!) For those of you curious as to how it works, the system is a learning system that will monitor your driving style and brake application over time. This data is then used to automatically adjust the point of activation between .65 and .80 G's of braking force accordingly."

I plan to mount one in my 300TE. Perhaps the performance-driven of you out there should get one and mont it backvards..., kindly notifying your fellow traficants with a series of flashes that you have reached 0.8 G's...

Jorgen.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:23 PM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
The only problem with that here in the states is no one pays attention when they drive. They would still crash into you spilling make-up and food all over the place.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 PM

1990 300E 2.6
Hi:
The kit from IPD lists info for installation on Volvo products. Any idea if the manufacturer markets one for MB products and specifically the 124 series? I know we can work out the installation for our make but vehicle-specific instructions would be a great help! I plan to contact IPD tomorrow and inquire.
OliverB
Old 07-10-2003, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Rowdy Audi
The only problem with that here in the states is no one pays attention when they drive. They would still crash into you spilling make-up and food all over the place.
True. True.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:03 PM

1993 MB 300TE, 2003 VW Jetta TDI
oliverb,

If you follow my link to ipdusa, I think you will find a pdf-file on their site stating how to install it. It isn't a Volvo-specific gadget, but more a general anykindofcar update, so to speak...

Jorgen.

...BTW, I agree with previous posters asessment of the level of general driving-skills on this continent... Especially during the winter here on the East-coast... I have had near-death experiences almost every week December through March...

J.

Last edited by wonderwagen; 07-10-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by wonderwagen

...BTW, I agree with previous posters assesment of the level of general driving-skills on this continent... Especially during the winter here on the East-coast... I have near-death experiences almost every week December through March...

J.
Come to California, especially the Bay Area and you can have near death driving experiences every day! I swear the DMV hands out driver's licenses like they're candy on Halloween. They register votors the same way
Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
If only Americans would take driving as seriously as the Germans...
Old 07-11-2003, 08:35 PM

If only...

Keep in mind American cops have this thing they always have to remember: when they are stopped on the freeway with their flashing strobe lights there is a condition in which drivers will move their eyes towards the strobe lights and steer right at them, causing them to smash into the squad car.

Lights have a funny way of communicating!

Last edited by chupper; 07-11-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Kinda neat how W124's have a slanted dash and no cup holders.....get in, shut up and hold on....no time for coffee, notepads or anything but hands on driving! LOL
Old 07-22-2003, 09:01 AM

C280
Thought you guys might be interested to see how things work on this side of the pond.

Using Mobile/Cellular phones in the car is banned....you can only use them if they have a hands free kit. If you are caught by the police using a hand held phone, you will be heavily fined and for those who have been involved in a crash and it has been proven that they were on the phone at the time/not hands free, and the crash was their fault, they are likely to be sent to prison, especially if there is a fatality or serious injury.

Last year, a guy was sent to prison for drinking a can of coke whilst driving his car. Sent down for driving without due cause and attention. Same will also go if you are stuffing your face with food, putting on make-up, etc

Judging by the driving I recently witnessed in California recently, I'm surprised the whole state hasn't been sent to prison (LOL).

Question, how many injuries take place in the States, with people getting scalded by hot coffee landing in their laps whilst performing an emergancy stop whilst driving????? (LOL)

Cheers

MJTRAY