E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ASR troubles 1995 E420 - PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
Cool ASR troubles 1995 E420 - PLEASE help

Ok for a while now (1 month) the ASR light has been coming on intermittantly- apparently when the car is hot - later in the day. (Live in Austin Texas currently runnin at around 90-104) This only happened when I would start the car and never while the car was running. In addition - when I used the remote starter - the ASR light rarely came on - however when I used the Key to start it nearly always came on

I finally caved in and decided to take the measures to have it fixed as it was driving me nuts. So I bring it to an reccommended import mechanic shop.

I sit $1200 later and all that I know that has happened is

a lot of diagnostics have been run
I have new spark plugs
some new fuses
a new belt to stop the AC cutting out when I put my foot down
the helpful hint that the Alarm system when activated trips the sensors in the throttle body and I need a new one of those by the way

I picked up the car running in perfect order and before I reached home the ASR light had come on while in motion - a first.

Also a new problem has arrived - the ASR light will not stay off - every time I start the car - with the Key - the light is there to taunt me. I am not risking the remote started - "for fear of trippin the sensors"

The mechanics shop tells me - before they said it appeared to be fixed - the sensor that is making it come on is on the throttle body - and between that part and the labor to put it in I was looking at another $2500.

I feel nervous placing my credit card and car in their hands again.

Could someone please offer help / guideance
Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Pardon my stupidity, but what is ASR?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:40 AM

1995 E420
ASR

It is the anti skid mechanism - I am not sure what it stands for but it cuts power to the drive mechanism which manifests as nothing happening when you put your foot down until almost half way - then it finally applies gas to the engine.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:40 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Since the ASR works through the brakes I would suggest checking brake hardware. Do you know if it works or not, I would imagine it does not, but try spinning the tires to see if it will set the ASR off.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 PM

1995 E420
zeronero,

Thanks for your reply - I cannot get the to ASR light to go off - it is on constantly - from when I put they keys in to starting the engine.

Now there is no state where power is being delivered (engine running or otherwise) where the ASR light is not on.

Does that make what I was told about the throttle body sound like an inexperienced response from my mechanic. I am begining to think so when u tell me that its on the brakeing system not the throttle system.

Thankszeronero
Old 07-22-2003, 09:31 PM

92 400E
Gentlemen...

ASR stands for ACCELERATION SLIP CONTROL (what the germans used the R instead of C is beyond me).
If this light comes on, it indicates that there is a ASR malfunction within the system. ABS (anti-locl brake system) is a totally different system. The ABS will work in conjuction with the ASR when vehicle wheels start to loose traction by applying the brakes if necessary. However, the ASR will also control RPM, throttle response and other "control" functions. ASR is nothing else but a high tech "traction control".

When the ASR amber light stays illuminated, then pressing the accelerator pedal will be unresponsive unless pressed almost to the floor, then 2/3 of engine output is available, but again pedal effort is required. My quick fix since it was an intermittent problem with my 92' 400E was to put the vehicle in P, restart the vehicle and "wholaa"...warp speed is again available. I haven't had it checked yet since again it was an intermittent problem and hasn't come back for a while now.

Cheers.

Jorge
Old 07-23-2003, 01:20 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
How do you identify if your car has ASR?

I need to replace my brakes on my '91 300E and the owners manual indicates ASR is an option. The indicator light doesn't light when I start the engine so I am unsure it is ASR equipped. Is there another way to tell?
Old 07-24-2003, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ohhhhh boy, I've been there many times with the ASR lite...usually, most of the time...it has nothing to do with the ASR itself. An easy way to check is to disconnect the speed sensors up by the front shock towers; if the car goes back into 'limp mode' with the ASR lite coming on...its not it.

It can be very frustrating and you may have to bite the bullet and start replacing every stupid little expensive thing like wiring harnesses, throttle body position sensor, EAC module, stop lamp sensor, gear selector sensor, even down to a weak alternator, weak battery, bowden cable, and fuses. All these things can trigger the 'limp' dick mode...I can go on but won't. Start by collecting the error codes in the computer and eliminate the major problems from there.

I don't think regular 300Es came with the ASR, but they may have been an option. Maybe the last run of them did (?) This little ditty sums it up well

I feel your pain bro..just open up yer wallet and hope that you don't have to sink a ton of cash into it to fix it...in my case, an aftermarket warranty has taken care of me to the tune of $5 g's plus and counting and I believe (knock on burl) that the problem is gone and the car is basically good for another 150K miles because most everything has been replaced. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought ASR meant 'Anti-Slip Reduction' but now I beleive it means 'All Stuff Replaced'

That'll do it for my soapbox presentation !!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
I thought that it stood for "Anti-Slip Regulation", anyway try going on to mercedesshop.com and search the forums, something will pop up.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:39 PM

92 400E
The owners manual for my 92 400E says that ASR stands for Acceleration Slip Control.....but I like the idea of "All sensors replaced".....funny as it seem, MB seemed to managed by intent or default that when some check engine lights or ASR or whatever come on, the vehicle still runs fine and still manage to pass state emission inspections. They gauged us for their high dolalr computers, cause they still build them under an old circuit board plataform and materials and not your everyday 189 dollar pentium 4 mother board with a 70 dollar 120 GB HD. that will probably do most funtions of the vehicle plus a million more. maybe ASR means "Another Sucker Ripped".
Old 07-24-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Straight from MBZ dealer: ASR stands for "Acceleration slip resistance"
Old 08-03-2003, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
I think it stands for Acceleration Slip Reduction. It's really just MB's way of calling it traction control. I'll check my manual later.

Just checked the manual and it says Acceleration Slip Control. Too bad you can't turn it off in the older models.

Last edited by MB AMG; 08-04-2003 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:42 PM

1991 300TE 4MATIC
asr troubles

a similar problem happened to me when i first gor my te4matic. after doing my 75,000 mile service i noticed my asr (the triangle in the middle of the speedo ) kept engaging at 40 mph and the car would stall and i cannot drive it faster than 40 mph. it took the dealer 2 weeks to figure it out( believe me they treid everything including the ECU which was mucho dinero) but it ended up to be the dirty sensors. so i would have them clean/replace all the sensors and that might do the trick...

good luck
Old 08-04-2003, 12:46 PM

1994 E320 Sedan
I know I'm being pedantic, but it's really all I can offer, since you all blow me away when it comes to our cars...

ASR= Antriebs-Schlupf-Regelung

Which translates literally to: Anti-Slip Regulation.

So basically we're all talking about the same thing here--it's a traction device that keeps too much spin from occurring at the drive wheels.

I would agree to check all your sensors before going too far with other issues. My cousin had the same problem last year, and it was just filthy sensors.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:10 PM
wjm

1994 E420
Back to poor threeleaf....

threeleaf, what's the latest?

Have you pulled codes from your vehicle to see if any are set?

Check out this thread:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=71814
Old 08-09-2003, 01:11 PM

Antriebs-Schlupf-Regelung = ASR

Which translates to Automatic Slip Regulation

I am in sales for 7 years at a dealership and don't claim to be an expert but this may be very helpful to you. (too much time spent reading training manuals)

This system is an advance form of ETS ( Electronic Traction Support) Both use the same components except that the newer ASR has a throttle controller to reduce engine output to the wheels when the slip cannot be controlled by the braking action of the ETS portion of the system. There is a speed threshold set at 24 MPH which will effect (or) cause the system to behave differently depending on whether you are above or below this threshold.

Getting back to the original posters problem of driving around in the high heat of Texas;

This system has a temperature module in the control unit that shuts down the braking action if they are overheating. The warning lamp illuminates to alert the driver that the system has been shut off. This sensor should be checked and or replaced first.

If this does not work, knowing whether the light comes on before or after the 24 MPH threshold might narrow down the troubleshooting.

Goodluck!