E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Putting a CD changer in w124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting a CD changer in w124

I have a 1991 Mercedes-Benz 230E. It has a standard Becker Le Mans digital radio and cassette player. It does not have a separate amp or tuner in the trunk, it just has the main unit above the ashtray.

I plan to upgrade to a later model Becker headunit with radio, cassette and CD changer control, and I plan to purchase a compatible CD changer for that headunit. My question is how to wire the CD changer from the trunk to the front. Should I follow the rear speaker wires to the front? The trunk has a 'trench' on each side of the trunk floor, and in one of those is where the changer was mounted in other w124s, and that's where I want to mount my one. But I'm not sure about how to go about wiring it to the front. I'm not pressed for time. I just want to do it properly. I already have electronics and car audio experience.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Talking

I think the route of the wire does not matter at all. But, just dont do the thing an other friend of this forum once did. He found the back of the trunck is a good place to mount the stereo equipment. It turned out to be the gas tank wall, where he tapped the screws into;-((
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 AM

Heheh

Ouch! ... That's a disaster! But thankfully there's a very small chance that will happen with me because I already have some detailed instructions about installing a changer in the trunk. It explains everything, eg, type of screws, screw holes, positioning, where to mount it exactly... etc.

At the moment I'm currently looking around for a later model Becker headunit, and a compatible changer. The new models are way out of my budget, and besides, the older ones suit my car's interior.

I'll let you guys know how I go.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:09 PM

1990 300E 2.6
My 1990 300E had a Blaupunkt cassette/changer compatable head unit installed in it in 1995 because of a problem w/the Becker. Two years ago I located a Blaupunkt 10 CD changer and mounted it under the rear shelf in the trunk - to the left side. I snaked the audio wires and controller cable into the right passanger footwell under the tunnel carpet, then through the plastic race located in the footwell under the carpet, using a coat hanger to pull each cable individually from the front to the rear. Had to remove both the rear seat bottom and back. Also had to lift the vacuum pump under the right rear seat out of the way. Once I had the wires pulled to the area underneath the rear seat, I worked them up the right side under where the rear seat back was removed. There is a rubber grommet high on the metal panel on that side where you can push the wires through into the trunk. Had to remove the right side and gas tank cosmetic panels in the trunk to gain access to the area around the gas tank. Brought the wires accross the back of the tank top from right to left to the changer. Might have investigated the drivers side footwell race if I had it to do again. That would have eliminated the need to lift the vacuum pump out of the way and brought the wires directly to the left side of the trunk. I opted to hang the changer under the left side of the shelf in the trunk instead of mounting it in the side well. In this location it is easy to change CD magazines. If you frequently carry tall, deep, bulky objects in your trunk, the changer might get in the way as it hangs down from the shelf about 4". Worked for me.
OliverB
Old 01-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 300E
Originally posted by bamberger_1
I think the route of the wire does not matter at all. But, just dont do the thing an other friend of this forum once did. He found the back of the trunck is a good place to mount the stereo equipment. It turned out to be the gas tank wall, where he tapped the screws into;-((
Yea... what a stupid idiot *cough* *cough* <looks around innocently>

Seriously though, always know where the gas tank is located on any car you are working on. It might save you from future embarassment.... and it might save a little money too.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oliverb did it right. thats basically how we wired my amp.

im thinking of getting another 4 channel amp, wiring it through the left side and powering the door speakers and two 6 inch subs in the hat shelf. im just wary of cutting that much sheetmetal out of my car.

besides, im not sure if the amp mounted currently under my first aid kit would be affected by the magnets of two speakers right next to it.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:09 AM

Sweet .. Thanks guys

Thanks a lot guys - your advice is much appreciated. As soon as I get my hands on a later model Becker headunit and changer I'll wire it like oliverb did.

If there are any other ways - better ways, easier ways, etc - then please post them as well. oliverb's way looks pretty good and doesn't seem very hard.

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Originally posted by EiknujZneb
Yea... what a stupid idiot *cough* *cough* <looks around innocently>.
EiknujZneb, you know those fuel tanks are made of some pretty good steel huh?