E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Electric Window Fun...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electric Window Fun...

I bought an 87 300E in very good shape and where almost everything works and I'm pretty happy with it after a week. I didn't think the right rear passenger window worked but after switching off the child lock I was able to get it to go down from the door control itself (but not on the central console). I start thinking that this is good except it goes down but not back up. I try swapping the switch with the left side to see if that works, but to no avail and then I try swapping switches in the central console wondering if something is wierd there but also no luck. I presently have the door panel removed and the motor loose but not out (partly cuz I'm not sure how it unplugs and I'm not anxious to rip wires). 3 questions starting with the most urgent 1) how the hell do I get the window back up since I live in the wet Pacific NW and my interior looks better dry than soaked?, 2) if it's not the switches, and the motor works since it goes down, is it probably an exposed or loose wire? and 3) what kind of a psychotic German electrician needs 6 wires to make a window go up and down?

Last edited by MBAMBZ; 03-28-2002 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
Sorry I can't realy help with your problem but that remind me aof an electric window problem I had a few months ago.
The left front window would not operate when the car was cold (say below 10Fdeg.)
While I was at the dealer to get a new wiper blade, I asked the service advisor about his thoughts regarding my problem.
You probably won't beleive this but he told me he remembered reading somewhere that the early W124 had a feature preventing the window to go down when the temperature was below a certain value . This is to keep the warmed air in the car until it reaches the temperature selected by the heater control.
Looks like competence and knowledge is the necessarily a given at Mercedes
JackD
Old 04-01-2002, 06:11 AM

230TE
electric windows

This happened on my 230TE recently. It may be as simple as stripping out the switches on the console and cleaning everything.
Same for the door switch. In fact you should do this anyway as after ten years or so there's a build up of dust and grease that can affect the electrics - just wait until your sunroof freezes open in a snowstorm.
If you have an MB-fitted alarm system, immobilise it with the small rotary key on the lock at the back of the alarm, under the rubber cover, in the engine compartment. Then use the ignition key to lock and unlock the doors a few times. The lowered window should go back up.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:09 AM
Ted
Almost a Member!

Current : '91300D Turbo (124) & 89 190D Past: 240D / 300SD / 300D Turbo(123)
window problem

Try spraying electrical terminal / tuner cleaner into the switch and work the switch back and forth and it may go up. I have had this happen. Worse case it could be a problem with the lift rail or the motor. I would guess it is a dirty switch. If you get it up again leave it alone !
Old 05-20-2002, 10:48 PM

2001 S430, 1985 380SL, and a retired 1987 300e (I miss her)
I had the same problem with the right rear window on my 1987 300e. My window would go up and down if the door was open, but not if it was closed. I had broken wires from flexing the door open and closed all those years. I soldered new pieces in and now it is okay. Good luck.

S-Man
Old 05-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I just had a simiar problem on my E55, I lowered the read driver window, when I was closing it I heard some noises like short cuts, then the windows doesn't respond, I tried to lower and then close it and the windows just fell all the way down.
I took it to the dealer today, two hours later it had been fixed.

The problem, the "Window Regulator" shorted, your problem sounds somewhat similar to mine.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
Had the same problem. Turned out to be a short in the window circuit.

Others have had similar window issues. Check out these sites for more information

http://www.mercedesproblems.com
http://www.mercedes-lemon.com
Old 05-31-2002, 02:53 PM

ok...i just signed up to this board to find the answer to this very problem. i would like to do all the things you all recommended, but i dont know how to open the door panels or the center console area where the main window switches are. can anyone help me with this???
Old 06-19-2002, 10:53 PM

Window stuff

Sorry, I have no idea. The only tip I can give you is that it can be done somehow. Those German engineers make it tricky if you have no car knowledge, but you can figure it out. The best thing to do is to take it to the mechanic. It saves a lot of time with these stupid problems.

And by the way, I had the same problem with the drivers side window. It was the regulator.