E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D Tires

I postd this a couple of days ago in the Tires/Suspension section. Not too many responses. i'd like to know what your esperiences have been. Here's the original post (edited some!!!)

The test car I drove before purchasing my '01 E430 had Continental tires and drove well. My car came with Goodyear Eagle F1's and frankly, I really don't like them. Not the noise, that's expected with the low profile performance rubber. The problem is that the tires tend to slide sideways when they encounter road irregularities (slightly larger bumps, etc). I have under inflated and over inflated to have some balance. Over inflation seems to work better (it also gives a better stiffer ride which I prefer), however, premature tire wear is what I will be looking at. Does anyone have this problem with these tires? I am very familiar with the Potenzas (use them in my other cars) and would like to switch ASAP. Opinions please. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55
Why are there Goodyears on your car? Mercedes never uses amercan tire brands on their vehicles. Look into using Michelin Pilot Sports or Bridgestone SO3 pole positions. Both tires are excellent and will give you the performance/ride you desire. My advise, although I am sure some would argue, pitch the goodyears!!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:04 PM

ML
Originally posted by AMGLOU
Why are there Goodyears on your car? Mercedes never uses amercan tire brands on their vehicles. Look into using Michelin Pilot Sports or Bridgestone SO3 pole positions. Both tires are excellent and will give you the performance/ride you desire. My advise, although I am sure some would argue, pitch the goodyears!!
I believe these F1 are made in Germany (A variation of the US GS-D tire). They are very good loking tires but they lack lateral stability - at least on the 430E. I plan to go back to Potenzas. Michelins are great but way overpriced.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:24 PM

1999 E55
Just to clarify, whether some goodyears are made elsewhere I do not know. However, I do know that Mercedes has never nor will they ever outfit their cars with goodyears. The owner you bought it from must have switched them. Anyway, like I said the pilot sports are great, they come standard on my E55 and I have no complaints. The bridgestone's are supposed to be the best of the best. Dunlops are also pretty good. Good luck
Old 12-13-2001, 02:20 PM
apb

08 S550, 10 GLK350, 05 Clk500
For a less expensive alternative that I like very much, try TOYO T1-S. They are rated 280 AA A and z for speed.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:28 PM

ML
Just to clarify, whether some goodyears are made elsewhere I do not know. However, I do know that Mercedes has never nor will they ever outfit their cars with goodyears. The owner you bought it from must have switched them. Anyway, like I said the pilot sports are great, they come standard on my E55 and I have no complaints. The bridgestone's are supposed to be the best of the best. Dunlops are also pretty good. Good luck

Last edited by Darkmann; 12-13-2001 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:34 PM

ML
Yes they Do!!

I don't know where you get your info or how you can be so sure that MD doesn't use Goodyear tires. My 2001 E430 was bought new from a MB dealer and it had the F1's on. Could the dealer have changed the tires to Goodyears - but why? Also, if you visit Tire rack's site and querry the OEM tires for the 2001 e430, the Goodyear F1 shows up. MB does use Goodyear, probably not the ones made here at the homeland.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:51 PM

I too have Goodyear Eagle F1 times on my new 2001 E430. I think that my next tires will either be Michelin or Yokohama AVS db.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Yes...

several models of w210 (v8 and some turbodiesels) came with goodyears.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:47 PM

I've seen lots of E430's at dealerships with the Goodyears on them, my 2001 E430 Sport thankfully came with the Continentals.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:58 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
definately have goodyear

I even questioned it when I bought my car, seeing them on some cars in the showroom. Seems Goodyear is starting to hit the Euro market hard. My car came with Pirelli P Zero's which are also a very nice tire. They dont last long but they are great when they are new. I hear the SO3's are excellent and may be my next choice at the end of next year.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:41 PM

1999 E-430
MB definetly uses the F1's on many of their E class models. I have them on my e-430 and have had many problems with them since I got the car. Living and working in downtown Seattle, I must have had at least 3 flats and several punctures just from a half a years worth of driving the car. I have never had this problem with any of my other older cars! I have had to replace a complete set already (which pissed me off because the tread was still pretty new on my tires).

And to top that off, Goodyear is discontinuing this model. So if you ever need a replacement, you'd better hope they are in stock.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:55 PM

1999 E55
I stand corrected, Thanks for all your feedback. I did not realize that goodyears were offered on new Mercedes. I guess since I had never seen them on cars in the showroom, i assumed they were not available. I have personally only seen dunlops and michellin's on the vehicles. Thanks for the info though. Back to the original question though, I think the Bridgestone s03 or even the old s02's along with pilot sports are much better tires than the goodyears at least from what I have seen. Good luck
Old 12-20-2001, 12:43 AM

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
My mom's 2001 E430 also came with the GS-D2's, and as someone mentioned earlier, I also noticed the lateral instability on irregular road surfaces. Interestingly, it only seems to occur when the weather is cold -- we got the car in July, and it's only popping up now.

I plan on taking the car to Lime Rock in the spring, and will let you know what I think of "at the limit" handling and performance.

I spend a little too much time on the Tire Rack's website and have more or less concluded that I'll replace the tires with Dunlop SP5000's, since we need a/s tires here.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:52 PM

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
By the way, since this thread is up, does anyone know if differences in air pressure (from left to right) affect steering alignment/centering? The steering is slightly off-center, and I'm wondering if it's due to differences in air pressure (the tires themselves look fine, though I'll have to check), or whether one of the famous NYC potholes threw out the alignment. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:35 PM
rwd

FWIW, I tested two US 2001 E430's yesterday, and both had F1's. One set was quiet and the other was super-noisy over the same route, and I wouldn't mind knowing why. I didn't check, but FAIK, they could have been on the wrong sides. The noisy set would have been a deal breaker, particularly if I hadn't just driven the other.

The E320 I drove had quiet Michelin MXV4's.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:59 PM

ML
Because they're high performance low profil tires, they will be noisy - soft compound, smaller amount of air volume in tire, hence as the air molecules oscillate, thre's less damping. Skip the physics for now. Assuming that the tires are not dfective, and that one car was not a 4-matic and other non 4WD, the only xplanation I can come up with why one set was quieter than the other is that they were set at different pressures - these tires have low speed (<100mph) and high speed recommeded pressures and diffrent for front/back. Still unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:51 PM
rwd

They were both rwd. The pressure and rotation occurred to me, but I didn't check either one at the time.

I've had experience with Gatorbacks, F1's and other performance tires, and, as you suggest, it was the quiet set that was surprising. I didn't even think about the tires until I drove the noisy set,then I went back to see what the others were and found they were F1's, too.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with changing tire pressures doing anything other than screwing up the handling, and the noise seems to be a given. That's why I was interested in the quiet set. If I find out what was different, I'll post it.

Last edited by rwd; 01-05-2002 at 02:04 PM.