E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Complete MB newb, looking for daily driver E class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Complete MB newb, looking for daily driver E class

Good Evening gentleman and ladies:

I am looking for a nicer mb E class to replacing my 98.5 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t as a daily driver. Im looking to spend around 16-17k on this E class, and it MUST be AWD.

I looked at a 99 e320 4matic with 73k miles and a repaired accident today. The car drove well but the accident history and fairly high price (16k) turned me off. While the car wasn't bad, it had some scratches and paint issues, and the interior also had some very minor damage.

While I do have a very powerful fun car (supercharged 99 mustang cobra), id obviously prefer the 430 to the 320. However, more important is that the car is reliable. Therefore, I have a few questions.

1. From some looking on autotrader and cars.com the 430 commands almost NO premium over the 320. Why is that?

1a. Is the v8 inherently less reliable than the v6?

2. Were the 2000-2001 430s especially problematic or unreliable?

3. Would a 430 with 89k miles be fairly reliable (it was a previous CPO car), given that all the maintenance was done?

4. Any major things to look out for?

I would be happy with a nice low mileage 320, but if I can get an equally nice 430 with a few more miles with the same price, id rather do that if the reliability is good.

So, if anybody can help out, that would be great.

Some info about me:

23, work on wall street, attend NYU Stern business school, live in northern NJ, currently have the mustang and the audi. Always liked benzes, and my father just got an 07 clk550.

About the ideal eclass for me:

99 or newer
AWD
Black or silver exterior, black or tan interior
obviously nice condition is important.

For anybody interested, this is the car im currently looking at:

http://beta.cars.com/go/search/detai...eadExists=true
more info is available at their website: www.empiremotorcar.com

and this is its carfax

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...JF83J01X049065

The e320 I looked at before was this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...el=&cardist=53

So let me know what you think please.

Thank you for your help,

Oliver

Last edited by Quadcammer; 12-30-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Good Evening gentleman and ladies:

I am looking for a nicer mb E class to replacing my 98.5 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t as a daily driver. Im looking to spend around 16-17k on this E class, and it MUST be AWD.

I looked at a 99 e320 4matic with 73k miles and a repaired accident today. The car drove well but the accident history and fairly high price (16k) turned me off. While the car wasn't bad, it had some scratches and paint issues, and the interior also had some very minor damage.

While I do have a very powerful fun car (supercharged 99 mustang cobra), id obviously prefer the 430 to the 320. However, more important is that the car is reliable. Therefore, I have a few questions.

1. From some looking on autotrader and cars.com the 430 commands almost NO premium over the 320. Why is that?

1a. Is the v8 inherently less reliable than the v6?

2. Were the 2000-2001 430s especially problematic or unreliable?

3. Would a 430 with 89k miles be fairly reliable (it was a previous CPO car), given that all the maintenance was done?

4. Any major things to look out for?

I would be happy with a nice low mileage 320, but if I can get an equally nice 430 with a few more miles with the same price, id rather do that if the reliability is good.

So, if anybody can help out, that would be great.

Some info about me:

23, work on wall street, attend NYU Stern business school, live in northern NJ, currently have the mustang and the audi. Always liked benzes, and my father just got an 07 clk550.

About the ideal eclass for me:

99 or newer
AWD
Black or silver exterior, black or tan interior
obviously nice condition is important.

For anybody interested, this is the car im currently looking at:

http://beta.cars.com/go/search/detai...eadExists=true
more info is available at their website: www.empiremotorcar.com

and this is its carfax

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...JF83J01X049065

The e320 I looked at before was this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...el=&cardist=53

So let me know what you think please.

Thank you for your help,

Oliver
I happen to own a 2001 E430 4matic. While the car certainly has had some common things go wrong with it, Overall I've been very pleased with the experience. As far as reliability, the engine and transmission are rarely a problem on these cars. Almost every part thats needed replacing has been a sensor of some kind, and the window regulators are a fairly common fault. For 16,000 you'd be hard pressed to find a better car value if you don't mind a few repair bills along the way.
Mine has 76,000 and to this day rides the same as it did when i first bought it. You'll really love this car in bad weather and for long highway cruises. If the prices are relatively the same get the 430, it has a lot more torque and you'll really notice the difference.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
I happen to own a 2001 E430 4matic. While the car certainly has had some common things go wrong with it, Overall I've been very pleased with the experience. As far as reliability, the engine and transmission are rarely a problem on these cars. Almost every part thats needed replacing has been a sensor of some kind, and the window regulators are a fairly common fault. For 16,000 you'd be hard pressed to find a better car value if you don't mind a few repair bills along the way.
Mine has 76,000 and to this day rides the same as it did when i first bought it. You'll really love this car in bad weather and for long highway cruises. If the prices are relatively the same get the 430, it has a lot more torque and you'll really notice the difference.
I definitely don't mind some repairs for an excellent driving experience. Im also pretty handy with a wrench, so I can reduce some repair costs.

Im just kind of wondering whats wrong with an 01 e430 with 89k miles for 16k.

Is 89k miles too much to have a good chance of reliability.

Some repairs are obviously fine, but id like to avoid a money pit if at all possible.

thanks for your comments.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
Buy the miles

In my opinion you can get a lower miles car for you price ($16k) but you have to be or learn to be a good negotiator. I bought a '97 e420 in March of '05 for $18k with 34k miles out the door( They were asking $22 and change). Look at this link for Autotrader go to the independant lots and try to get the ones that are $3-5k more than you care to pay down to your $16k. You'll be much better off than buying a higher mileage car with no negotiating. You might even be able to get the Grenwich MBZ dealer to meet your price especially if you go on 12/31/06

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...C&keywordsrep=
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by gqmagic
In my opinion you can get a lower miles car for you price ($16k) but you have to be or learn to be a good negotiator. I bought a '97 e420 in March of '05 for $18k with 34k miles out the door( They were asking $22 and change). Look at this link for Autotrader go to the independant lots and try to get the ones that are $3-5k more than you care to pay down to your $16k. You'll be much better off than buying a higher mileage car with no negotiating. You might even be able to get the Grenwich MBZ dealer to meet your price especially if you go on 12/31/06

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't spend too much more for a car with less miles. At 89k most of the normal stuff that goes wrong probably already has, and it's been fixed. If this car has the service history available check for MAF, o2 sensor replacements, maybe cats or cat sensors, and window regulators. If they're done, I'd rather have the higher mileage one. Offer the guy 14,500, you never know
Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos

I appreciate your insight, however, from what i've seen I don't think these indie dealers are gonna drop the price about 3 to 5 grand. On a 20k car thats about a quarter of the price. Thats a pretty big hit to take especially since i was going to trade my audi in.

also, there were only 2 cars that had a black interior, in sedan in the listings you posted, and the dealers really seem shady.

a lot of these independent dealers seem extremely suspect.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 AM

1998 E320
Don't get me wrong - I love my car (1998 e320). But, having owned a Buick Grand National in the past - its a tad weak. I do wish I had thought a bit more when buying and that I had gone w/a 430 or the e55. But the car was one owner, mint and....not silver (its a metallic blue).

They don't have one right now but you can keep your eye on:

www.jsautohaus.com they even have a car finder option where you can tell them what you want, how much, etc.

Let us know how you make out.

Bob
Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 AM

96 SL500, 97 E420
I appreciate your insight, however, from what i've seen I don't think these indie dealers are gonna drop the price about 3 to 5 grand. On a 20k car thats about a quarter of the price. Thats a pretty big hit to take especially since i was going to trade my audi in.

also, there were only 2 cars that had a black interior, in sedan in the listings you posted, and the dealers really seem shady.

a lot of these independent dealers seem extremely suspect.
You would might say the dealer I got mine from(west LA on Robertson) was "suspect" though I don't know what you're basing that assumption on.They get their cars fom the dealer auctions. Mine had all sets of keys, manuals, I got the service history from the MBZ dealer in Santa Monica (where car was serviced)showing a lot of minor things serviced under warranty.This "Shady Dealer" even let me take the car to my mechanic by myself for a couple of hours to have it checked out.(this was surprising to me, and as my mechanic was about 15-18 miles away provided a much better test drive than your usual go around a few blocks one. I would buy the lower miles car every time. You're not dealing from a position of strength by taking the attitude you have. The trade-in isn't helping you either, they should be dealt with as 2 completely different transactions. No offense but when I was your age I didn't know what I now know. Maybe take your dad to negotiate the purchase, if you have a CarMax nearby they'll buy your car for more than you'll get on a trade in. good luck
Old 12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
You would might say the dealer I got mine from(west LA on Robertson) was "suspect" though I don't know what you're basing that assumption on.They get their cars fom the dealer auctions. Mine had all sets of keys, manuals, I got the service history from the MBZ dealer in Santa Monica (where car was serviced)showing a lot of minor things serviced under warranty.This "Shady Dealer" even let me take the car to my mechanic by myself for a couple of hours to have it checked out.(this was surprising to me, and as my mechanic was about 15-18 miles away provided a much better test drive than your usual go around a few blocks one. I would buy the lower miles car every time. You're not dealing from a position of strength by taking the attitude you have. The trade-in isn't helping you either, they should be dealt with as 2 completely different transactions. No offense but when I was your age I didn't know what I now know. Maybe take your dad to negotiate the purchase, if you have a CarMax nearby they'll buy your car for more than you'll get on a trade in. good luck
Something about buying a mercedes at some dirt lot with a barely converted trailor doesn't strike me as right. While there are a lot of honest and respected used car dealers (like where you bought yours), there are also a lot of con men out there. Its kind of difficult to trust these places, at least for me.

Please let me know how I can be in a position of strength. I can pay cash for the car today If I find one that I like, so that helps my negotiating position. If you have any tips to get 5k off of a 21k vehicle, please help me out, because that would be great.

I know the audi trade isn't helping, but I don't really have the time to sell the car myself. Im at work from approx. 7am to 7pm during the week, and then I have classes at night.

I don't think carmax operates in NJ, I think the closest is in DC or something, maybe maryland.

I know a few people that might want the audi, so I have to talk to them about it.

anyway, thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Oh, and one more question if you would be so kind:

Since I have not driven the 430 yet, does it ride any rougher than the 320? Obviously with bigger wheels and lower profile tires, it will be a bit rougher, but is it really noticeable?

Im almost leaning towards a 320.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Oliver, don't worry about the mileage on either the 320 or 430. I have 102,000 miles on mine, and the engine and trans are as smooth as a baby's bottom.

The stock 430 rides no differently (16" versus 17"), in my opinion. Mine will rattle your teeth on NY-area roads, but that was done intentionally for cornering stiffness and asthetics.

Just make sure the previous owner changed the trans fluid, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

As to who to buy from, I'd pick a MB dealer first, private owner second, and dirt lot last. The dealer will only sell the best trade-ins, the rest go to auction and end up on the dirt lots (typically). However, given the silly premium the MB dealer will add to the price, private sale may be the best bet. From what I've seen, private sale owners tend to care for their cars fairly well (a broad generalization, I know, but have a look for yourself). The only problem is the lack of variety in the local classifieds.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by RBrenton
Oliver, don't worry about the mileage on either the 320 or 430. I have 102,000 miles on mine, and the engine and trans are as smooth as a baby's bottom.

The stock 430 rides no differently (16" versus 17"), in my opinion. Mine will rattle your teeth on NY-area roads, but that was done intentionally for cornering stiffness and asthetics.

Just make sure the previous owner changed the trans fluid, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

As to who to buy from, I'd pick a MB dealer first, private owner second, and dirt lot last. The dealer will only sell the best trade-ins, the rest go to auction and end up on the dirt lots (typically). However, given the silly premium the MB dealer will add to the price, private sale may be the best bet. From what I've seen, private sale owners tend to care for their cars fairly well (a broad generalization, I know, but have a look for yourself). The only problem is the lack of variety in the local classifieds.
Thanks for the info, and thats definitely how I felt about the dealer "food chain" as well.

The part that makes me nervous is that you said your car will "rattle your teeth on NY-area roads, but that was done intentionally for cornering stiffness and asthetics."

At this point, I have a car for cornering stiffness and a lowered ride height, so im really looking for a very comfortable ride. I know that your 430sport will ride rougher than the standard 430, I just don't want to have the car be too harsh over bumps. My mother's BMW M5 is brutal over the bumps.

As for the tranny fluid, I read all about that, and can only hope that it was done. The car in binghampton that Im looking at appears to have been serviced by MB, so hopefully the dealer can pull the service records.

the part that worries me is that mb apparently told its owners and possibly its shops that the fluid was "lifetime" and did not need to be replaced as part of routine maintenance.

I hope thats not the case.

thanks again for your help.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Mine is an aftermarket lowered suspension with stiff shocks, springs, control arms, etc. The stocker 430, even sport models, have the same cushy Bilsteins and tall springs as any W210.
I don't think you'll find the stock suspension harsh, but take a test drive.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
good to know, thanks

Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info, and thats definitely how I felt about the dealer "food chain" as well.

The part that makes me nervous is that you said your car will "rattle your teeth on NY-area roads, but that was done intentionally for cornering stiffness and asthetics."

At this point, I have a car for cornering stiffness and a lowered ride height, so im really looking for a very comfortable ride. I know that your 430sport will ride rougher than the standard 430, I just don't want to have the car be too harsh over bumps. My mother's BMW M5 is brutal over the bumps.

As for the tranny fluid, I read all about that, and can only hope that it was done. The car in binghampton that Im looking at appears to have been serviced by MB, so hopefully the dealer can pull the service records.

the part that worries me is that mb apparently told its owners and possibly its shops that the fluid was "lifetime" and did not need to be replaced as part of routine maintenance.

I hope thats not the case.

thanks again for your help.
The regular suspension is an extremely smooth ride, don't worry about rattling your teeth over bumps on it at all. I've also found that the best places to buy a used car is from a private owner, so just take your time and scan autotrader,ebay,etc weekly. Sell the audi yourself for 500-1000 more than you get offered on a trade, you'll always do a lot better buying another car when your unencumbered by a swap. Patience is your most valuable tool when buying another car.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
well, after looking around, and doing some checking, it appears that the cars im looking at, with the mileage that they have, will probably end up being too expensive to maintain. I refuse to pay 4k for a transmission on a 16k car. I need a car thats not gonna kill me on repairs, and there is nothing really wrong with my audi. I guess I just can't justify spending the money on an unknown.

Anyway folks, thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can find any good ones, but it looks like i'll be stuck with the audi for a long time.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
Sometimes the best deals are the one you DON'T make. Like slk55lvr said take your time, there are plenty of e's around. Also not being in a hurry is a position of strength. Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 PM

well, after looking around, and doing some checking, it appears that the cars im looking at, with the mileage that they have, will probably end up being too expensive to maintain. I refuse to pay 4k for a transmission on a 16k car. I need a car thats not gonna kill me on repairs, and there is nothing really wrong with my audi. I guess I just can't justify spending the money on an unknown.

Anyway folks, thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can find any good ones, but it looks like i'll be stuck with the audi for a long time.
Based on the experiences of some of my friends, I would be a lot more concerned with the Audi throwing a large repair bill at you.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
well, I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and acc/a/c belt so thats done. (cost about 300, did the job myself). Turbo was replaced for 450.

The only thing may be a bad cv joint.

I spent $0 on repair costs last year. Thats hard to argue with.

But yes, repairs on an audi can be just as expensive as a benz.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 AM

2000 E430
Hey is this Quadcammer off LS2? I already told you man...buy the car...
Attached Thumbnails Complete MB newb, looking for daily driver E class-img_1209.jpg  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 AM

well, I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and acc/a/c belt so thats done. (cost about 300, did the job myself). Turbo was replaced for 450.

The only thing may be a bad cv joint.

I spent $0 on repair costs last year. Thats hard to argue with.

But yes, repairs on an audi can be just as expensive as a benz.
Well you do have a point, the devil you know is at least paid for and has real records of whats repaired. None of these cars is inexpensive to repair, which is why they sell for such great prices used.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Yellow98Cobra
Hey is this Quadcammer off LS2? I already told you man...buy the car...
Haha, yeah its me.

I like the one I drove yesterday (99 rwd 430), but im not sure if Im willing to give up the awd of my audi.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:15 PM

'97 E320
Are you planning to have the car serviced at your local M-B dealer? If so, you should enquire (from other clients) about their level of service...

Personnally, I've been very disappointed with my local dealer, specially when it comes to trying to get a service appointment (typical 1-month delay for standard maintenance) and with repair delays ("oh, I didn't know you wanted the car back today... should be ready day after tomorrow"). Expect to get a replacement M-B while the car is in for maintenance? Forget it, my dealer "lends" Toyota Yarises and charges for it too. I was a lot more satisfied with my Honda dealer, and that's even before considering price.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I will do most basic service (plugs, filters, oil, etc) myself. If anything needs to be replaced that I can't/don't want to do, I'll consider a local dealer (which has a great reputation) or a good indie.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
I will do most basic service (plugs, filters, oil, etc) myself. If anything needs to be replaced that I can't/don't want to do, I'll consider a local dealer (which has a great reputation) or a good indie.
I will trade beer for services rendered. Where are you located?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Complete MB newb, looking for daily driver E class