E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 w/ Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
W210 w/ Sprint Booster

Hi guys, what are the pros and cons of a sprint booster in our car??? All comments are welcome thanks!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Pros: A lot better throttle response...

Cons: When I had it I found no cons except maybe no HP gains.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 PM

W210 E320
gas pedal will definitely feel lighter and you wil take off at a faster rate altho like greg said no HP gains
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i've tried it. not that impressed. it simply moves the accelleration curve (sooner)
and compresses it to an earlier point of pedal movement. I'm happy saving
$2-300 and stomping on the gas pedal on those rare occasions I need to
lead foot it...and with same results.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Please

people,sprint booster?how much are you paying for this snake oil harness 400 bucks?why not try thishttp://www.turbonator.com/index.html...dsTurbonatorTO
or maybe the tornado
step on the GD pedal and launch the car.
Or better yet I'm selling a little booklet full of tips and tricks,reprogram your ecu/tcu in minutes,sets your car back to German factory set up(can you spell hot rod!!!!!!!!!!) booklet is only $5.95 shipping and handling $2.00 PM me for ordering info.
And I have a pair of front brake rotors for sale that add 25H.P.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
do you take Paypal?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM

W210 E320
the turbonator.....lol what a scam
Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
okay, how about turbonator...plus nawz?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 AM

E320
ohlord

I have a pair of front brake rotors for sale that add 25H.P.

I'm confused.. How can front brake rotors add HP to the car?? Please clarify. Thanks ohlord. Also, on the topic in sprint booster, I agree with alot of members. Sometimes you have to step right down on the pedal in order to get some response, and there's a split second delay too, which doesn't feel good. Will the results of adding a sprint booster in our vehicle feel like touching the pedal of japanese cars? Cos in my knowledge, jap cars are really sensitive.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
You will get a much more sensitive throttle (close to the BMWs and Japanese cars), until the adaptive ECU re-establishes itself but it will remain more responsive than stock afterwards. You can always reset the tranny/throttle ECU to get the most out of it afterwards.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 AM

E320
Are you referring to the Sprint booster or ohlord's front brake rotor? Thanks for explaining it to me. I appreciate your help!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
+25hp+ brake rotor, is that even worth explaining?

BTW the Sprint Booster is no snake oil unlike some of the other products (no offence Oh Lord, you have been very helpful to us all and I am not trying to pick a fight here).

It is an eletronic device that overrides the torque delay (in our ECT), simple and effective but it does lose a bit of the fun once the adaptive ECU takes over (and when you get used to it). As far as I know there is no claim for additional HPs by the manufacturer (despite some claims by irresponsible dealers) but the car feels more agressive because you hit the power band quicker than normal - that's worth something, especially when you're coming out of a bend, off a red light or need to get out of trouble on the highway. There are lots of props and skeptics on this forum but the general comments from people who have actually tried it has been positive.

The only con I can think of is when you first install it, whether because it is most sensitive (before the ECU adapts) or whether you are not used to it, it is dangerous if you are stuck in slow moving traffic or can be jerky because letting go and stepping down gives you an instant response (e.g. when u hit a bump)...so beware! A 2nd toned down version for AT cars has made it more user friend - I personally prefer the original (I think they call it the Manual Transmission version)

Last edited by Whitey; 09-28-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the SB, there is no adaptive ECU....no ECU resetting. That alone made it worth it for me. I hate resetting the damn thing every other day!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Give me a break

and I don't mean the candy bar!Run several 60 ft. times at the track,stock.Run several 60 fts. with the sprint booster installed.Prove that there is any significant improvement.Either you run from idle and stomp the pedal,at which point the engines torque curve wont come on full for a few thousand rpm and then it needs to move the very non drag car weight off the line,or you power brake or line lock the car and bring it close to the torque converters stall speed (and that is a very low non drag car value)and let her go.Any way you go,this 400buck?harness is not going to improve your time to any degree.
Put this one in the same category as the guys who think the Whoosh sound they hear with the k/n filters or some of these cold air tubes,is really a big jump in horse power!!!!!!!
Install that little black box thing that goes around your fuel line and gives you 25 percent better fuel mileage.Now that really works!!!!!!!!!!
The secret behind the brake rotors is only in my handy dandy booklet,on tips and tricks,or as I like to call it the "w210 for dummies"
only $5.95 plus $2 s/h,but wait there's more!if you order now,I include absolutely free,a long bolt that you screw up thru your floor board under the gas pedal and it prevents you from going more than 50 mph,thus increasing your fuel economy and adding years of life to your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tommy,bought several,the same day he invested in the cf hood

Last edited by ohlord; 09-28-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
The downshift lag can sometimes seem like an eternity. I told the story once of messing around with a Z28 Camaro that was passing me. When I hit the pedal, I swore I could hear the Final Jeopardy theme playing before the trans kicked down.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RBrenton
The downshift lag can sometimes seem like an eternity. I told the story once of messing around with a Z28 Camaro that was passing me. When I hit the pedal, I swore I could hear the Final Jeopardy theme playing before the trans kicked down.

That's because the non amg sb may be too aggresive.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM

E320
wow, sounds like I really need to buy one for my car
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
With the SB, there is no adaptive ECU....no ECU resetting. That alone made it worth it for me. I hate resetting the damn thing every other day!
Really? I swear its deteriorated over time for me (I've had mine for over 2 years now) and resetting the ECU made it better. Oh well. ANd BTW, there is no "AMG/Non-AMG version", just a manual and auto version (which maybe used interchageably as far as I know - with the postfix "A' and "AA" I think) and the less aggressive one is suggested for the AMG's. As a general rule, the more agressive the SB, the more responsive is the upshift and downshifts, so maybe he has a less aggressive one.

Oh Lord: Your break is granted Peace bro. Improvement in time or not, most users already attest to a more zippy feel - the feeling that a lot of us probably miss from driving BMWs and other cars. I will be honest here and try not to get you worked up like another member here - I am not going to do a run just to prove anyone right or wrong. You might be right in the end but I (we?) can say it was certainly worth the money I (we?) paid (which was a lot less than 400 bucks since I did the test trail for one of the official dealers ) just to get the feeling we wished the benz had and win a few red lights in the process. At the end of the day, user's experiences was what the poster was seeking.

Last edited by Whitey; 09-28-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So

it basically does nothing,but feels like it does something,costs money,but offers no power improvement,gives you the feeling of more pep,but doesn't move you off the line quicker.

Reminds me of the politician that once had a speech it went something like this
"I come before you today,to stand behind you,to tell you something i know absolutely nothing about"

Sprint booster?Maybe you were lucky and got one for free to evaluate,the other guys that paid whatever,got something Boosted and it wasn't their w210!!!

"GOT OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY IN ARIZONA?"
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by ohlord
it basically does nothing,but feels like it does something,costs money,but offers no power improvement,gives you the feeling of more pep,but doesn't move you off the line quicker.

Reminds me of the politician that once had a speech it went something like this
"I come before you today,to stand behind you,to tell you something i know absolutely nothing about"

Sprint booster?Maybe you were lucky and got one for free to evaluate,the other guys that paid whatever,got something Boosted and it wasn't their w210!!!

"GOT OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY IN ARIZONA?"
No I didn't say that. There's really no need to be sarcastic because we are not here to argue with you nor are we here to prove anything and no one is telling anyone to buy it. I, along with others, only stated things that we know, albeit only what our butt gauge is telling us. Many others on the other boards here will attest to the SB and yes, there are also skeptics but overall, there has been a lot of positive feedback from user-members, is that not enough to give the item some credibility?

To put this into persepective, the SB was never claimed to be a major performance mod nor meant to help win races but shortening the throttle lag would no doubt save some time both on a launch and coming out of a bend, as well as downshifting when entering a bend - perhaps not alot but still some savings. I trust we all agree that major improvements costs a lot more, even for a gain 10-20% in HP. Given the mere cost of the SB and given that the "satisfaction" we seek is already achieved, it is not even worth the cost of doing a dyno or a proper time trail (unless of course we are a vendor). Of course, with power braking or line locking you won't see much difference (and in fact, I would guess a better time would be achieved with powerbraking with no SB vs normal launching with an SB) as you've already reached the power band by the time you launch but you will also kill the tranny and brakes in the process. Stomping would not give you the same effect as there is still a lag, no matter how hard or how far you stomp the pedal. This is clearly evident when you rapidly "pump" the throttle a few times when cruising - on a car without the SB, I bet you there will be hardly any change, whereas with the sprint you will get the car jerking. We are not talking about breaking any world records or drag racing the car on a track, we're simply talking about a much quicker response when driving the car normally on the roads.

Oh Lord, I can understand your skepticism, as I and everyone else had the same thoughts when this was launched a few years back. Since you seem to be very academic and knowledgeable about tuning cars, why don't you borrow one from a member and test it out yourself (assuming you haven't already) and then let us know what you think? Thats not going to harm, right?

Peace

Got withdrawal symptoms from fighting with TG?

Last edited by Whitey; 09-28-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no fight

when I rapidly pump my pedal it chirps the tires and snaps my neck,so I always figure if a wagon can kick that the sedans must be kickerer.............I've been doing various types of racing since the mid 60's,so have seen a fair share of the miracle devices.I guess The real improvements appeal to me and the rest I bid adieu .

"OBJECTS IN MY REAR VIEW MIRROR,REALLY ARE AS SMALL AS THEY APPEAR"
Old 09-29-2007, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by ohlord
when I rapidly pump my pedal it chirps the tires and snaps my neck,so I always figure if a wagon can kick that the sedans must be kickerer.............I've been doing various types of racing since the mid 60's,so have seen a fair share of the miracle devices.I guess The real improvements appeal to me and the rest I bid adieu .

"OBJECTS IN MY REAR VIEW MIRROR,REALLY ARE AS SMALL AS THEY APPEAR"
Fair comment and its a case of different strokes for different folks I would say.

For clarity, what I meant by "pumping" was lightly but rapidly tapping and releasing the pedal several times whilst the car is in motion. It is the lag that is inherent in the drive-by-wire systems, especially the MB ones, such that it won't be able to effectively interpret and communicate the rapid "pumps" quickly enough to the engine to do much. Try it and compare to say, a Jap car or any car with the older mechanical throttles. Perhaps US specs are different and I wouldn't rule that out (just like your stock benz's ride higher than anywhere else in the world).

Anyways, I'm glad we'd agreed to disagree on this one
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by Whitey
Got withdrawal symptoms from fighting with TG?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope

Kicked his butt to the curb without even having to get the old wagon and it's collection of spare parts warmed up.
I have lived on the west coast for 37 years,before that I was born and raised in his neck of the woods.Street racing and going to the drags were what I lived on as a teen,and I mean that literally,we raced to live,and lived to race.So you learned quickly how to deal with the tommy's of the street,get so far under their skin they could never win,even if they had the faster car,which this kid I assure you does not.

cognomen

Hey suicidal4life where do you live anyway?would like to see your ride when she is done,sounds wicked...........

Last edited by ohlord; 09-29-2007 at 03:01 AM.