E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

Preface: I have searched forum for solution with no luck.

Problem: Spilled a cup of soda all over the center consul 10days ago.

Traction control/ABS/Gauges/Multible Defect Alerts and Failures along with "take it shop service warning" etc....

Limped home in 1st gear having first to overide the Park lockup to get it into gear. Upon arriving home I turn the heat to max and let run for 6hrs in driveway to dry out. Living in wet/cold Oregon I am not sure that get's it done but I headed out of town that night and have to leave is sit.

Go out of town for a week and return to find all the error/service messages are no longer an issue (I guess the soda dried out) but, Tranny still stuck in 1st and will not shift from drive back passed nuetral unless I turn off the engine. It does shift into all gears after re-start but will not shift past nuetral into reverse or park unless engine is shut off.

I reset the factory defaults on TCU/ECU by turning key to on and stepping on trottle for 15secs, etc.... still stuck in 1st.

I am assuming the Trans Electric shift/control unit is still wet or is partially fried so my questions is....can I disasemble and clean will electic/contact spray or is this a part replacement issue? As well, if replacement is required, what is the likely part, and estimated cost? Finally is the remove and replace a DIY or, will I need the services of a qualified tech.

Thanks for help

PS...Tranny got stuck in first about three weeks ago but resolved after re-start.

AND only the Germans would install components near cup hold that are damaged by moisture and/or spills. It almost as if they destain from having to install cup holder by installing such a small a fragile unit to begin with and, as if say "we teach those glutenous yanks" by causing us great expense and hardship every time they spill more than 3-4drops of liquid in the vacinity.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Go to

benzworld.org w210 section .Look in the diy section or search trans module repair.Nice write up of the removal and clean up with electronic parts cleaner.Give it a try.Before you do that try the disconnecting the battery neg lead and see if that resets the unit.
Good luck
ohlord
if it does not work,new units are on the market and I think about 300 bucks if you r/r yourself.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Mercedes states replacement shift units are now more fluid spill resistant.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (black) 1996 E320 (white)
Originally Posted by 5-Salt

AND only the Germans would install components near cup hold that are damaged by moisture and/or spills.
Word of warning before someone from Germany sees this! I hear originally they were designed NOT to have cupholders there in the first place. Something integrated by us Americans when they where imported here. *heard this from a ranting European in another forum so I can't confirm.

Anyhow, knowing that this was a common problem I decided to check out the shifter on a recently acquired w210 and low and behold found sticky coffee all over the insides! Im sure the link that ohlord provided will be thoroughly helpfull but all I did was disassemble the shifter, cleaned it off with alcohol, and polished of all the contacts. Noted, carefull eBaying can land you the entire shifter for under $150.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by marlboromanG
Word of warning before someone from Germany sees this! I hear originally they were designed NOT to have cupholders there in the first place. Something integrated by us Americans when they where imported here. *heard this from a ranting European in another forum so I can't confirm.

Anyhow, knowing that this was a common problem I decided to check out the shifter on a recently acquired w210 and low and behold found sticky coffee all over the insides! Im sure the link that ohlord provided will be thoroughly helpfull but all I did was disassemble the shifter, cleaned it off with alcohol, and polished of all the contacts. Noted, carefull eBaying can land you the entire shifter for under $150.

good stuff - thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Don't feel bad

There are only 2 kinds of 210 owners....
Those who have done this.....
And those who will...

You can pick these up at PGA for less than 200US and diy in a couple of hors.

Yes, the cup holder is an american design added in 99.

Luck.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1benzguy
There are only 2 kinds of 210 owners....
Those who have done this.....
And those who will...

You can pick these up at PGA for less than 200US and diy in a couple of hors.

Yes, the cup holder is an american design added in 99.

Luck.

PGA?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM

2002 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by 5-Salt
Limped home in 1st gear having first to overide the Park lockup to get it into gear.

How do you perform this override?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ajent420
How do you perform this override?
There is a small spring loaded door just below the gear indicator lables (Park, R, N, D , -, +) where you can insert an ink pen or other sturdy object.

By pressing down with your pen it will unlock the shift level from Park position so you can select Reverse or Drive, etc....
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Very Good

Used Parts - PGA Potomac German Auto