E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

What to look/listen for when test driving a 1999 W210?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
What to look/listen for when test driving a 1999 W210?

Hello,

Found what appears to be a '99 E320 for a very reasonable price (US$10k) at a local MB dealer. It has just over 100,000 miles on it so not much for a car of its age, and for the modest amount of driving I'll be doing (as I plan to hold onto the car for around 18month to 2yrs) I think it is just the job.

I've been doing some reading up on common issues with the W210 (my father had a couple at the end of the 90s, but not of this age!) but was wondering what I should listen out for when I'm test driving, to make sure I don't buy a lemon! Have read this on Wikipedia which gives a few pointers but didn't know if there was anything else I should be on the lookout for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W210#Common_issues

Also, as it has some fairly naff MB wheels on it (they look like alloys but I don't like them!) and was looking to change them if I get the car. Not necessarily to AMG ones but to something a bit better suited to the car. I'm not after some third party alloys, just MB ones, maybe the 18" or 19" ones that you could get when the car was new. Where would be a good place to get something like that? Years ago when I was back in the UK my grandfather used to get his 3 pointed star nicked off the bonnet of his W126 a lot and got replacements from Unipart for about 10% of the cost of his dealer. Is there an equivalent of this in the US?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 10-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Ford C Max Energi, 2013 Cadillac SRX
Well here is my 2 cents... 10K seems like a lot to me, for that kind of money you could get a "facelift" model or maybe a 99 with lower miles. I think the most important thing to look for is service records, and accident history. I don't think MB offered 18 or 19 inch factory rims for this model (I maybe wrong), but I just put some very nice 17's from a W211 E500, and they look very nice. I got mine on Ebay, but Craigslist is also a good source for wheels. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:32 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Thanks tpowel2!

The list is $10k but I was planning on paying cash and I know this dealer is pretty good with discounting for cash purchases.

Without sounding dumb, what do you mean by the facelift model? Was this the one that had the indicators in the mirrors (IIRC) and was around just before the W211 came out?

As for the wheels I'm sure you know the model better than I do! If it didn't come with 18" or 19" factory wheels I'll take your word for it! I really don't want oversize wheels, looks really dumb IMO! If 17"s sound good I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks for the Craiglist/ebay options, hadn't considered those as thought shipping would be silly money!

I appreciate your input!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Where

are you located?
18's came on the E55 you can locate AMG mono's for decent prices.
10g is way overpriced at least stateside.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:51 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
I'm on the US East Coast.

What sounds like a fair price for this motor? I went down to the dealer this evening (everyone had gone home) and took a look at it. Apart from a few marks small marks on the paintwork which could easily be buffed/touched out it seems to be in really good nick for a '99. Leather looks spotless and it has the optional Bose sound system. According to the papers in the window it appears to have some kind of 50/50 warranty.

I was going to offer $9k cash, and Kelley Blue Book says this car should be around $11,400 in excellent condition. I thought KBB was a pretty good guide....

Any help is welcome!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
KBB

is what dealers use ,real world prices are closer to edmunds.com pricing which indicates about $8000 for a 99 at those miles.A year and a half ago we picked up a 99 wagon private party wagon 20,000 fewer miles in pristine condition,o issues for $9500 the same car now would be much less.Shop around.East coast check for rust and be sure to have it professionally inspected and have the mastic pulled off the spring perches and those inspected as well.
good luck on the hunt.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Thanks for the info!

I'm now getting into unchartered territory. Where's a good place to find an MB inspector and what's the protocol? My cars have always been new

Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

where you are and a member will chime in with a good indie mb shop that can do a PPI.You want recall checked,rust,perches,pending codes read(very easy for them to erase an active check engine light and you buy the car only to have the light to go active again several weeks later)
Check transmission fluid condition,Oil level,dealer history,Is it at an MB dealer or a used car dealer?Tons of nice ones around,don't be afraid to pass on a few,to find the gem that you will be happy with and will be happy with you
for you will discover they do have souls
Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
I'm in the western end of Richmond, VA.

Without sounding dumb (as I said I've never bought used before and neither has my wife!) could I just outright ask the dealer if I can take it away to get inspected? It is an MB dealer.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Well good news for me.

I took the car out for a test drive last night and all felt great. We negotiated down to $8500 pending the results of the PPI. We took the car home last night and off to a recommended MB independent guy. Turns out one of the lower ball joints needed replacing along with an oil filter housing which was leaky. Dealer was happy to get them replaced gratis.

Am picking up the car this evening.

Now to find some nice alloys, MB ones, or AMGs and make it like the picture below . Unfortunately the tyres are brand new and with 16" alloys so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. If the tyres were in need of replacing I'd be OK getting new larger rubber and wheels, but for the modest amount of miles I'm doing I'm not sure it is worth it. I think 16" AMG alloys (if available!) would look silly on an E Class.