E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E430 oil level rising

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430 Avanrgarde
E430 oil level rising

Roughly 4 weeks ago the oil overfull warning came up on my dash, so drained and refilled oil to just below max mark, and now its back on again, i have sucked out the excess oil and to get it down to the max mark i had to remove 1 litre of oil.

Not using any coolant, gearbox oil or pas fluid all levels are spot on correct.

I am suspecting petrol contamination via the injectots weeping with the ignnition switched off.

Any other ideas? the fuel rail has good pressure when engine first switched off and seems the same 1 hour later but left overnight there is no pressure, pump only runs for a couple of seconds as normal and engine satrts and runs fine.

I havent got a test gauge just poked the test nipple with a screwdriver not hi tech in know.

Have posted on a couple uk forums but limited knowledge concerning the larger petrol engines and cant find anything on google etc.

Thanks
Lynall
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lynall
Roughly 4 weeks ago the oil overfull warning came up on my dash, so drained and refilled oil to just below max mark, and now its back on again, i have sucked out the excess oil and to get it down to the max mark i had to remove 1 litre of oil.

Not using any coolant, gearbox oil or pas fluid all levels are spot on correct.

I am suspecting petrol contamination via the injectots weeping with the ignnition switched off.

Any other ideas? the fuel rail has good pressure when engine first switched off and seems the same 1 hour later but left overnight there is no pressure, pump only runs for a couple of seconds as normal and engine satrts and runs fine.

I havent got a test gauge just poked the test nipple with a screwdriver not hi tech in know.

Have posted on a couple uk forums but limited knowledge concerning the larger petrol engines and cant find anything on google etc.

Thanks
Lynall
If you have any leftover oil from the drain and refill I would send it in for analysis. It will answer a lot of quesitons. I would then repeat with a sample from the next oil change.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Someone

over filled it.
If two liters of fuel leaked into the cylinders and made their way past the combustion and oil control rings A. either your engines intake would blow up when you started the engine or B. the engine would be so poor on compression that it would not run.Either case you would know.
Do you change the oil yourself?If not you might think about a different shop or start doing it yourself so you can be sure of the amount taken out via the dipstick tube and the amount put back in the filter body.

www.mercedesshop.com
resource section diy articles oil change #2

Last edited by ohlord; 02-23-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM

E430 Avanrgarde
Thanks for the replies i change the oil and do all repairs myself, when i changed oil last i stuck in 7 litres exactly and the oil was just 1/4 inch below the max mark.

I have the removed oil and will take it to work tonight to get some opinions from my fellow mechs and see what they think.

I was thinking of oil analysis.

I think it has a petroly smell but being a diesel mech and always had diesel cars up until this one i am not sure.

Lynall
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 PM

oil sensor gone bad?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I

hope he is checking the level on the dipstick and not using the read out.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
I don't think it will be your problem, but one thing to check is the crankcase ventilation. Each valve cover has a maybe 10 mm hose connected to it, but inside it is just a pinhole that can clog easily. You can run a pin through to clear, or remove the caps (need black silicone sealer to reseal) and clean out from the inside).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 PM

E430 Avanrgarde
Never thought of the breathers i will have to have a look, not sure why this would make the motor oil level go up.

Yes using dipstick, always check oil weekly, hence thats how i noticed it going up initially, than dash warning came on.

I have just removed the injectors and the fuel rail, refitted the injectors to the rail and pressurised the rail again, left for a couple of hours and there are drips on one injector and another is damp, this is with a cold motor so guessing worse when hot.

Now going to leave overnight pressurised and see how many drips in the plastic cups in the morning.

Lynall
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG Performace - Obsidian Black
Be very careful- have the oil checked. I had an issue like this on my BMW 5 series once, and it turned out that I had a slow leak of coolant into the oil from the head gasket. This will lead to bad things, so have your compression checked and analyze thta oil!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM

E430 Avanrgarde
No coolant in the oil as its not dropping at all same as all other fluids hence the reason i think its fuel in the oil.

Lynall
Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not fuel

as stated before if you had liters of fuel running past the rings you would have an explosion or worse a check engine light.
When you started the engine in the morning even a bit of puddled fuel in the cylinder would set off an engine code.Smell the oil it won't smell like gas.
If you did a proper oil change the capacity of the m113 engine is well more than 7 liters so you failed to get it all removed.Did you use the proper suction method?
Off hand 8liters or about 8.4 quarts so you either left oil in the engine or failed to measure it properly,when you filled it.
Your engine would not be running or starting just fine if you had liters of fuel running out the injectors overnight.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 AM

E430 Avanrgarde
Drained out of sump bung, but actually brought home the suction tool i have had in my works toolbox for at least a year!

Changed wifes oil in her w203 320 yesterday and to be honest the oil smelt the same as the oil from my car, Spoke to an injector shop today and he has seen this fault many times on rover k series engines, and others but never a merc v8.

He also said dirty or contaminated fuel can cause this.

Injectors being tested as we speak so in about 1 hour i will know 100% hopefully.

Lynall
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Originally Posted by lynall
Never thought of the breathers i will have to have a look, not sure why this would make the motor oil level go up.

Lynall
Condensation of water and fuel, esp. in cold months and with short trips. Water buildup will show as milky froth in oil (eg under filler cap).