E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

97 E320, lost wondows, sunroof, mirrors, locks, trunk popper.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
97 E320, lost wondows, sunroof, mirrors, locks, trunk popper.

Hello, issue is on a 1997 E320

I took the W210 to a shop to have the upper control arm on the passenger side replaced. There were a few computers in the engine bay, over the control arm that were covering the screws and had to be removed. A total of 4 or 5 computer, I believe it is the same location where the ABS ETS computer is located. After replacement of the control arm and installation of all the computers back in I have the following issues:

ELECTRONIC
1. all windows are non operational. not the FAB, not the in cabin buttons.
Lucky me they are all rolled up at least.

2. Power mirrors are out also, no movement.

3. sunroof is also not moving.

4. steering wheel adjustments not working. no telescoping or tilting.

PNEUMATIC
5. The locks will not operate automatically. not the FAB nor the in cabin
button. Only the passenger side will move if I stick the key in the door and
spin it. (the driver side has no hole for the key.)

6. The trunk will not open remotely. It will only open when I press the button
on the rear of the car. Not the in cabin button not the FAB will open it.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN.
1. reseated all the computers that where messed with and verified correct
installation.
2. Checked all fuses in all 3 fuse boxes, all were good.
3. Diagnostics with Carsoft 7.4 shows no ME(Motor Electronics) codes and
PSE(Pneumatic System Equipment) is not building/responding
4. Did a reset to the main computer.(Might have done this wrong)
disconnected the battery and pumped brake <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_18_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: #4a95e1; FONT-FAMILY: inherit">pedal</NOBR> 10 times.

RESEARCH
1. The tech at the shop mentioned that a few computers were removed
before they disconnected the battery. He is not sure which one or how
many.

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 535is, 89 318iT
Doesn't that all originate at the pse? Disconnect the negative again for 10 mins, reconnect and pray some of it works. I just had this happen, so I started with the 12yr old battery, a resync and no more problems.

Otherwise, something might have fried the pse. After all of the reading and testing on this subject, it's clear to me that it's very difficult to pin point CAN issues. Even dealers aren't 100 perc with their fancy machine.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by dsmith
Doesn't that all originate at the pse? Disconnect the negative again for 10 mins, reconnect and pray some of it works. I just had this happen, so I started with the 12yr old battery, a resync and no more problems.

Otherwise, something might have fried the pse. After all of the reading and testing on this subject, it's clear to me that it's very difficult to pin point CAN issues. Even dealers aren't 100 perc with their fancy machine.

thanks for the reply. I am not sure if disconnecting the battery for 10 min will reset the computer at all. I will try it anyways.

Will the PSE affect the electronics that are not working? (windows, mirrors, sunroof, steering column)
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM

W210 E320
I am leaning more towards a PSE computer issues as the Carsoft is not being able to comunicate with it. But on the other hand there is no generic code in the ME diagnostic that points to a bad PSE computer or any other electronic equipment for that matter.

this is going to be interesting to resolve.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
As I understand it, all of that needs the pse to work. You also have the door control modules(each door) and window/mirror/trunk switch (all one switch). There are others too. It kind of spreads like cancer. Lots of good threads on benzworld.org, some here.

After I replaced the battery, I still had the passenger side dying,fixed by battery disconnect and resync, every 2 days. Then I disconnected/reconnected the pse/window switch/dcm and no problem since.

So, I would also disconnect/reconnect the front two connectors on the pse, and check the bottom for moisture.

Let's face it, CAN sucks. I can't imagine it's cheaper to produce and it's way more expensive to diag/repair. It's going to land all of these MBs in the junkyards, unlike the 80's cars.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
On all MB electronics in this car the battery MUST be disconnected before any attempt to disconnect an electronic component is made. The result of not doing this is a fried unit and is most likely your pse. These cars are very sensitive to this an there is no way around it. If the resync does not do it then the obvious is your solution as stated above. My apologies for the less than positive news.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
On all MB electronics in this car the battery MUST be disconnected before any attempt to disconnect an electronic component is made. The result of not doing this is a fried unit and is most likely your pse. These cars are very sensitive to this an there is no way around it. If the resync does not do it then the obvious is your solution as stated above. My apologies for the less than positive news.
This post should be a sticky, in and of itself, with stars and whistles. I am not at all kidding.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM

W210 E320
thanks for all the replies. PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED. I was lucky not to have any of my computers fried as stated by ejsheltra. I checked my computers again in the engine bay and I found 2 clips that had been broken (aparently by the shop) and had the computers not fitting properly. readjusted and added some zip ties and HAHA! all is up and running. No resync done but I will get to that. What have we learned from this???
THERE IS ONE COMPUTER(I dont know which one) THAT CONTROLS ALL THOSE SYSTEMS. and if it gets disconected of goes bad, the diagnastics(at least Carsoft 7.4) will not tell you.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
Originally Posted by stockCRXSi
What have we learned from this???
Not to let those clowns work on your car! BTW, you have every right to have the shop pay for the broken parts. Congrats on the fix.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM

1997 e320, 1986 300E, BMW RT1100T
I went through the same problem solving yesterday! I replaced my acc duo valve and thought I needed to remove the relay/control modules. When I put it all back, the usual suspects failed to work. After plugging and replugging the far rear module I discovered one three wire gray colored plug that failed to seat...it was loose. Once I reach in to push that in with an l shaped Allen wrench, everything was good. I had an earlier scare because I had nit disconnected the battery prior to removing this module. Fortunately that had no impact!