E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

CD cartridge removal: HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
CD cartridge removal: HELP!

Well, after the dealer "fixed" my audio system for the 4th time under warranty, I cannot get the CD cartridge to eject. Can someone help me please?

It is a true hassle to return it to the dealer (40 minute drive). Now, I am on the M-B extended warranty and the audio system is NOT covered. I am so tired of this piece of crap, I could puke.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Is the changer working? If the changer is not connected to the battery or power, then the CD cartridge or magazine will not eject. If possible, I would check to see if the changer power wire is connected.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:01 PM

Yes, changer plays CDs, just will not eject so I can change discs.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 R350. '05 C230. '93 454SS Truck. '71 Chevelle SS.
Simply fix...well sort of. More than likely the plastic cartridge that carries the individual cd is stuck as the cd came out of the sleeve! This happened to me a while back. Disconnect the cd player and find a thin plastic strip that is sturdy. Carefully insert it between the stuck cartridge and the cd player itself. Finnagle (sp?) it until you can move it over into its correct position. Sorry...I wish I had pictures....
Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 PM

If MBZ's trick doesn't help you out, it's actually a pretty easy thing to dismantle the external cover on the CD changer. Just remove the screws that mount it to the chassis, a couple more holding the cover on, and you should be able to push out the cartridge and figure out the offending cause. In my case, it was one of the sleeve's missing one rail when being pushed in.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Hey, Mikey!
When you say "I am so tired of this piece of crap, I could puke", are you reffering to the stereo or to the car in general? The reason I'm asking is because I currently own a '94 E320, but I am seriously considering buying my friend's '00 E430.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:00 AM

2003 E55
Is the 2000 an Alpine changer? Same as 1994-1998? If it is use a credit card and slide it in close to where the eject button is (between the cartridge and the button) it should pop right out. (Similar to what MBZ12 said)

Steve
Old 07-27-2004, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys.....will try your suggestions.

Arnie: tired of the audio system, not the car. As I said, this is the 4th time in 4 years that the system has been repaired or replaced. Sad-*** system for a car this expensive.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Originally Posted by Renn 208
If MBZ's trick doesn't help you out, it's actually a pretty easy thing to dismantle the external cover on the CD changer. Just remove the screws that mount it to the chassis, a couple more holding the cover on, and you should be able to push out the cartridge and figure out the offending cause. In my case, it was one of the sleeve's missing one rail when being pushed in.
Sorry for mentioning the obvious in my last post, but yes, the case does come apart very easily. I found my changer on eBay a couple of years ago. When I got it, the magazine was also stuck. It powered up fine, but the magazine would not eject. To make long story short, a foil gum wrapper was preventing the ejection.

The seller never returned my emails or calls when I complained. But, when she did send the changer, she also sent the matching fiber optic Bose amp. I ultimately resold the amp which made the overall changer cost to less than $200.

Sorry to hear that you have had so many audio problems. When I got my car second hand, the "AUD" function did not work. Dealer replaced the head or radio unit under warranty.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
how to manually eject jammed cd changer cartridge

just went thru dismantling the cd changer following the multitude of info collected on this and various sites. thanks to all for your insight.

here's the easiest way i found, if .... a cd tray isn't also jammed in the player (i.e. trays are pushed into the cd player one at a time, and then retracted), which would also require removing the top cover to slide the tray back manually.

so...take the cd changer assembly out of the trunk, making sure you carefully disconnect the fiber optic and power cables.

- place the unit flat and upside down in front of you
- to your left should be the connector module - where the fiber/power cables connect
- remove the two screws holding the module, the module will slide slightly to the left and then you can move it aside - be careful not to pull on the ribbon cable or tear it (this can be a bad connection culprit!)
- let the fiber/power module hang (or disconnect the ribbon cable if you feel comfortable - it's not too hard, just be careful) and follow the ribbon cable onto the main board, above the cartridge (you'll need a flash light to see well)
- just above where the ribbon cable connects is the cartridge release mechanism - using a long, narrow screw driver, push on the black arm an the cartridge will shoot out.
- once out, check the frame around where the cartridge fits and all the way to the back, make sure it's square and not bowed out - it's quite flimsy - the whole unit is really crappy, oh well!
- if it gets stuck again, just give the unit (the changer itself) a sharp tap while ejecting and it'll pop out!

after all that...on mine, one of the copper connectors on the ribbon cable had rubbed against a metal lip and is no longer making a good connection - more crap.

i wonder, if i yank off the fiber/power module and only plug that in without using the changer, then it should technically terminate the loop and i can get rid of the doorstop taking space in my trunk! will update once tested.

Last edited by kbad; 04-13-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM

e430
cd cartridge removal

Originally Posted by kbad
just went thru dismantling the cd changer following the multitude of info collected on this and various sites. thanks to all for your insight.

here's the easiest way i found, if .... a cd tray isn't also jammed in the player (i.e. trays are pushed into the cd player one at a time, and then retracted), which would also require removing the top cover to slide the tray back manually.

so...take the cd changer assembly out of the trunk, making sure you carefully disconnect the fiber optic and power cables.

- place the unit flat and upside down in front of you
- to your left should be the connector module - where the fiber/power cables connect
- remove the two screws holding the module, the module will slide slightly to the left and then you can move it aside - be careful not to pull on the ribbon cable or tear it (this can be a bad connection culprit!)
- let the fiber/power module hang (or disconnect the ribbon cable if you feel comfortable - it's not too hard, just be careful) and follow the ribbon cable onto the main board, above the cartridge (you'll need a flash light to see well)
- just above where the ribbon cable connects is the cartridge release mechanism - using a long, narrow screw driver, push on the black arm an the cartridge will shoot out.
- once out, check the frame around where the cartridge fits and all the way to the back, make sure it's square and not bowed out - it's quite flimsy - the whole unit is really crappy, oh well!
- if it gets stuck again, just give the unit (the changer itself) a sharp tap while ejecting and it'll pop out!

after all that...on mine, one of the copper connectors on the ribbon cable had rubbed against a metal lip and is no longer making a good connection - more crap.

i wonder, if i yank off the fiber/power module and only plug that in without using the changer, then it should technically terminate the loop and i can get rid of the doorstop taking space in my trunk! will update once tested.
I followed your instructions and this went well until I had to find the black arm on the cartridge.. couldn't find it, so I ended up closing the unit.. Any more hints?
Thank you ! Hans