E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Anyone with brake cable adjuster (under car) experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E320 4Matic
Anyone with brake cable adjuster (under car) experience?

2001 E320 4matic wagon.

Can't get under the car right now due to a snowstorm so I'm just double checking before I do the job. Has anyone released slack on the parking brake adjuster under the car where it splits to two lines?
I've replaced the parking brakes on both sides and need to release slack, set the wheels.
I've got a picture here and I guess I'll be looking for that clip end to lift and according to what I've read, this should be all I'll need to do including after I've set the wheels as this is an automatic slack adjuster?

Sound right or will I need to hit that clip a second time after I'm done the brakes on both wheels?

Old 02-03-2022, 10:20 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CanuckMerc
2001 E320 4matic wagon.

Can't get under the car right now due to a snowstorm so I'm just double checking before I do the job. Has anyone released slack on the parking brake adjuster under the car where it splits to two lines?
I've replaced the parking brakes on both sides and need to release slack, set the wheels.
I've got a picture here and I guess I'll be looking for that clip end to lift and according to what I've read, this should be all I'll need to do including after I've set the wheels as this is an automatic slack adjuster?

Sound right or will I need to hit that clip a second time after I'm done the brakes on both wheels?
On my (former) W210 this was located behind a plate located on the hump under the back seat.
The following users liked this post:
CanuckMerc (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:00 AM

2001 E320 4Matic
Thanks for that! Someone had mentioned it was in the middle back seat and I just about popped champagne when I heard that.
We got a foot and half of snow yesterday and it's -20c here on the mountain in NM so ... yeah I'm happy about that location.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:03 PM

2001 E320 4Matic
Ok so I that didn't go well. I've attached the photos but I've tried lifting up the gold clip as indicated in the instructions but the only thing that happened was bending up the middle arm there. I repressed it down tried to get it back into shape but there's no lifting that gold clip as it's attached to a metal piece. I've tried lifting up the metal piece that the clip is attached to and that won't budge. I wish there were a clear instruction on what the mechanism is on this part, how to press it into play and what I should expect to hear or see as a result but there's nothing online at all. If anyone knows how this piece is activated to loosen the lines please let me know. Do I place a screwdriver in between and lever down as in the picture? It's the only action I can see being done here but that would be contrary to instructions. I tried putting a little pressure on that move and felt some play but stopped in case I was doing something wrong and ultimately break another part on this journey.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:09 PM

2001 E320 4Matic
Alright so you take an allen wrench in the middle there and turn it clockwise about a turn at the sametime pushing up to latch it into place. Well mind didn't latch and just fell loose. I've also tracked down the problem as to why the pads aren't allow the rotor on. The end of the parking brake can't fit into the buckle because the pin has slipped. I'll have to take the brake apart again tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CanuckMerc
Ok so I that didn't go well. I've attached the photos but I've tried lifting up the gold clip as indicated in the instructions but the only thing that happened was bending up the middle arm there. I repressed it down tried to get it back into shape but there's no lifting that gold clip as it's attached to a metal piece. I've tried lifting up the metal piece that the clip is attached to and that won't budge. I wish there were a clear instruction on what the mechanism is on this part, how to press it into play and what I should expect to hear or see as a result but there's nothing online at all. If anyone knows how this piece is activated to loosen the lines please let me know. Do I place a screwdriver in between and lever down as in the picture? It's the only action I can see being done here but that would be contrary to instructions. I tried putting a little pressure on that move and felt some play but stopped in case I was doing something wrong and ultimately break another part on this journey.

I remember this was a major pain. Did you try adjusting the shoes all the way in then fitting the cable end?
Old 02-05-2022, 05:24 PM

2001 E320 4Matic
The shoe's won't fit all the way in because the pin that connects the brake cable to the parking brake buckle has slipped. I'll have to take the brake apart again tomorrow and put it back together but this time there won't be any resistance on the line so I shouldn't have a slipped pin again.

Last edited by CanuckMerc; 02-05-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:46 PM

2001 E320 4Matic
Ok parking brakes are back together and hooked up but I'll admit I have no idea if it's been done correctly outside of the fact that when I step on the parking brake pedal, they lock up and when I let it go, the wheels move. I had the pads backed off completely to the end of the star adjuster and hooking back the lines to the under seat adjuster, I just gave the allen wrench about 5 clicks counter clockwise, backed it off one afterwards...not sure what I did there but again everything working.

Now I got drivers side toe in to deal with. Another post.