Do the new single CD slots read DVDs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Do the new single CD slots read DVDs?

My new '05 E isn't recognizing my old DVDs from the '04 E. Have they changed again?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Originally Posted by jangy
My new '05 E isn't recognizing my old DVDs from the '04 E. Have they changed again?
You have an 04 that can read audio DVD's? As far as I knew, the 04's could NOT play DVD's.

The quick answer is the '05 WILL play anything up to mp3 DVD's. However, if you have compressed the mp3's too much, it can not read them.

There are many HUGE threads on the subject and you will find them if you do a search.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
wow!! so, the 05's do read mp3s on DVD? Awesome. Yes, the 04 did it. I love it.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
This has been written about so many times. Check this thread out and it should determine whether you have a dvd or cd drive in your single slot.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=dvd+mp3

I have 2005 and have a cd drive, not dvd drive hence I cannot play any mp3 dvds.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by gdestiny
This has been written about so many times. Check this thread out and it should determine whether you have a dvd or cd drive in your single slot.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=dvd+mp3

I have 2005 and have a cd drive, not dvd drive hence I cannot play any mp3 dvds.

Huh? How come your '05 does not play mp3's? When was it built?

My car was a May '04 production as an '05 model CDI for the Canadian/US market and I was probably one of the first to find out that the car played DVD mp3's.

Now your 05 is NOT playing mp3 DVD's? You don't have a DVD drive? What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Spartan; 05-12-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 PM

2007 E63
Let me rephrase. I can play mp3s off any cd. But I cannot play any mp3s off a dvd because I do not have a dvd drive in the single slot.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
It is the format you are burning in, read the other threads. I posted something about it but I can't remember the format. Joilet or something.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
The problem is MB changed the mfg and software so many times, including throughout 04. Some will have DVD drives, most wont (siemends vs becker). Nav replacement cars I think will work. I got a euro COMAND from Steve, and play MP3 DVD disks all day long. I have little knowledge of compression formats, burning methods, etc, and they all work fine. The only tricky thing is setting up your folders right so it can see all the files.

As mentioned, there are many threads on this.. too many.

I cant wait until we can watch DVDs and use Sat radio.. oh, and maybe even bluetooth.. get with it MB
Old 05-13-2005, 02:43 PM

2007 E63
It has nothing to do with format. My format is correct. I dont have a dvd drive in mine. I know this by going to the engineering menu in the command which is written about in the link that I posted before. Anyways, I am getting a euro command like Brav from Steve. I cant wait.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Tesla
Somebody suggested sticking a pressed movie DVD into the drive and if you get audio, you have DVD drive.

My 05 was mfg on 11-04 and it doesnt have DVD drive. Plays mp3 fine on CD's though.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
It is the format you are burning in, read the other threads. I posted something about it but I can't remember the format. Joilet or something.
Surely if they are playing Mp3's on CD then the format should be okee dokee??

Regards,
John
Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 AM

I find it a little hard to believe that Mercedes is randomly placing DVD or CD drives throughout the 05 year. There is something wrong here. Either the some posters who have 05's are not using the right format OR Mercedes has sunk into new depths.

If I had an 05 and could not play mp3 on audio DVD's, I would scream at Mercedes for a DVD drive unit. After all, it's unfair to pay so much money for a car and not get what others have.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Spartan
I find it a little hard to believe that Mercedes is randomly placing DVD or CD drives throughout the 05 year. There is something wrong here. Either the some posters who have 05's are not using the right format OR Mercedes has sunk into new depths.

If I had an 05 and could not play mp3 on audio DVD's, I would scream at Mercedes for a DVD drive unit. After all, it's unfair to pay so much money for a car and not get what others have.

It certainly does appear strange and if it is the case, then I wonder how they get on with replacements?

John

A very wet, cold, windy, rough, dismal day in Torquay
Old 05-14-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by glojo
It certainly does appear strange and if it is the case, then I wonder how they get on with replacements?

John

A very wet, cold, windy, rough, dismal day in Torquay
That's why I find all of this a bit strange. After all, I don't think that there is a price difference between DVD and CD's at the manufacturing level. in fact, to carry two inventories world wide would be FAR more expensive.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:08 PM

2007 E63
I totally agree with you spartan. I think its really lame that MB would use 2 different drives. I am almost 100% positive thought that I have the cd drive and not dvd drive because I have checked in the engineering menu and seen it only say cd drive. I also think it would be pointless to go back to the dealer and ask for a replacement since in the manual it never once states anything about a dvd drive. They would just brush me off and tell me to be on my way. So all i can do is get my euro command and be happy after that.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by gdestiny
I totally agree with you spartan. I think its really lame that MB would use 2 different drives. I am almost 100% positive thought that I have the cd drive and not dvd drive because I have checked in the engineering menu and seen it only say cd drive. I also think it would be pointless to go back to the dealer and ask for a replacement since in the manual it never once states anything about a dvd drive. They would just brush me off and tell me to be on my way. So all i can do is get my euro command and be happy after that.
No disrespect intended but how technical oriented are you?

Have you already burned some mp3 DVD's? Are you absolutely sure that they work? Remember, if it compressed too much or other problems, it will NOT play them EVEN though your computer will play them. I know this for a fact because some songs hanged up my 05.

If you are confident and absolutely sure of your "burning ability", try them in another 05 E-class. Walk into the showroom and throw one in the slot. If it works there just walk over to the service department and demand that they fix your "defective" drive. After all, you will have the proof in your hands.

Meahwhile.....

I have a terrific relationship with my MB parts guy. I will ask him if he knows anything about Mercedes having one OR separate part numbers for 05 unit replacements. This will tell us if MB is indeed shipping two types of units.

Last edited by Spartan; 05-14-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:46 PM

2007 E63

Have you already burned some mp3 DVD's? Are you absolutely sure that they work? Remember, if it compressed too much or other problems, it will NOT play them EVEN though your computer will play them. I know this for a fact because some songs hanged up my 05.

If you are confident and absolutely sure of your "burning ability", try them in another 05 E-class. Walk into the showroom and throw one in the slot. If it works there just walk over to the service department and demand that they fix your "defective" drive. After all, you will have the proof in your hands.

Meahwhile.....

I have a terrific relationship with my MB parts guy. I will ask him if he knows anything about Mercedes having one OR separate part numbers for 05 unit replacements. This will tell us if MB is indeed shipping two types of units.

I have burned dvd mp3s many times and played them in my friends cars that have after market radios. When I put in a dvd mp3 it just spits out the disc, wont even let me get to any folders or songs. Have you tried going to the engineering menu? If you have does yours say dvd and can? Please check it out for me and let me know. Another member has offered to send me a copy of his dvd mp3 just to make sure it isnt my technique. I will take him up on that offer. Will let everyone know soon.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Meahwhile.....

I am sure we are all trying to help each other here, and to me there appears an easy solution!!

seeing as you both live in America, is it possible for you to post gdestiny a DVD with just a few Mp3's that actually work on your E-class?

I done this with someone in the UK who was saying exactly the same as what is being said here, low and behold they played on his COMAND.

I certainly do NOT think that gdestiny does actually have a DVD COMAND, I am simply a nosey, curious type who would like to see this matter resolved.

Good luck,
John

Edit: Oops, just noticed gdestiny is actually getting a DVD, oh well..... Good luck

Last edited by glojo; 05-15-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Brav
Some will have DVD drives, most wont (siemends vs becker).
I cant wait until we can watch DVDs and use Sat radio..
all 211 comands are becker...if you want - we can already set you up with satelite radio AND DVD video aplayback...only catch is that the front HU will only do satelite radio while the mercedes rear monitor will display the DVD (video) that is inserted in the comand...so no DVD video in the front - only in the rear.

and for MP3:
as far as we know - all US spec comands can be updated (by the dealership) with original mercedes software (less then 10USD per update disc which can be used for many cars) to become MP3 compatible...regardless wether it concerns a 2003 replacement, a 2004 or 2005 comand.

greetingz,
Old 05-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by glojo
I am sure we are all trying to help each other here, and to me there appears an easy solution!!

seeing as you both live in America, is it possible for you to post gdestiny a DVD with just a few Mp3's that actually work on your E-class?

I done this with someone in the UK who was saying exactly the same as what is being said here, low and behold they played on his COMAND.

I certainly do NOT think that gdestiny does actually have a DVD COMAND, I am simply a nosey, curious type who would like to see this matter resolved.

Good luck,
John

Edit: Oops, just noticed gdestiny is actually getting a DVD, oh well..... Good luck
That was another option but for one problem. I no longer have my '05 CDI and I have no way of testing it before shipping. I am anxiously awaiting for my '06 CDI and if the problem still exists, then we can revisit that option.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=gdestiny] Have you tried going to the engineering menu? If you have does yours say dvd and can? Please check it out for me and let me know. QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I can not help you with this question. I returned my '05 CDI to Mercedes a few weeks ago. Awaiting my '06. As soon at it arrives and if you are still having this problem, then we can look further into it.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 PM

w211 cdi 2005
MBenNL

would happen to know the part number for the software upgrade? My dealer only knows how to say "no" and "that will be $$$"

Thanks
chemo
Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by chemo
MBenNL

would happen to know the part number for the software upgrade? My dealer only knows how to say "no" and "that will be $$$"

Thanks
chemo
I believe the part number is W211 589 06 22 00.

My 04 E320 (delivered Feb 04) was updated and now playes DVD mp3s
Old 05-17-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As an outsider reading this thread it certainly is confusing.

1. I thought the newer US Navigation COMAND had a single slot DVD?

2. I also thought older US vehicles with Navigation COMAND had a single slot CD player that was not capable of playing Mp3's????

3. The newer US DVD slot I thought could play Mp3's but unlike all European COMAND's could not play DVD films!!!

4. The upgrade CD that we in Europe needed for 'older' DVD COMAND's to play Mp3's was not compatible with the CD player in US systems.

5. What has changed and where have I gone wrong?

Thanks for any advice that might straighten out my confused noggin'

Regards,
John
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Tesla
All of those are true except #1. The single slot in my car can not recognize any DVD discs. Car was born nov 04. But it does play mp3 on CD's though.

Until somebody can prove me wrong, I think MB has been switching their drive suppliers halfway into the model year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do the new single CD slots read DVDs?