E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Rotors Replaced at 40,000 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Rotors Replaced at 40,000 miles

I just repaced the rear brake rotors and pads on 2003 E320 Sport and took about 2 hours. I disconnected the SBC pump as described in some thread and everything went smoothly. Got parts from www.alleurasianautoparts.com. Initially, I ordered the vented rotors, but MB dealer told me that the vented rotors are not used for E320s and they are for 500s. Currently, I am waiting for a return authorization number from Alleurasianautoparts.com to return the vented rotors. I send them a email a couple of days ago, so far no RAN. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Here are a couple of good, reliable Mercedes parts suppliers.

This one is used by a lot of Mercedes Club members.

http://www.buymbparts.com/

This one provides support for the Mercedes Benz Shop Forum.

http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/
Old 06-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 268 Likes on 160 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
How many miles did you get on front rotors/pads?

Did you replace the front rotors and pads at an earlier mileage mark?
Or did the rear rotor and pads wear out first?

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
I just repaced the rear brake rotors and pads on 2003 E320 Sport and took about 2 hours. I disconnected the SBC pump as described in some thread and everything went smoothly. Got parts from www.alleurasianautoparts.com. Initially, I ordered the vented rotors, but MB dealer told me that the vented rotors are not used for E320s and they are for 500s. Currently, I am waiting for a return authorization number from Alleurasianautoparts.com to return the vented rotors. I send them a email a couple of days ago, so far no RAN. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Initially, I ordered the vented rotors, but MB dealer told me that the vented rotors are not used for E320s and they are for 500s.
If you like the look of the vented rotors and they fit, just keep them. Your MB dealer wants you to pay inflated prices for sometimes poorer performing items.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by ima55r2
If you like the look of the vented rotors and they fit, just keep them. Your MB dealer wants you to pay inflated prices for sometimes poorer performing items.
The vented rotors are much thicker than the unvented rotors, and it's very unlikely they would work with the E320 calipers and pads.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 AM

The front rotors and pads are still original. I checked the pads and they are still good. I told that to the MB dealer. Of cause they didn't believe me. They thinkg someone must have replaced the front brakes. I don't know how that could happen since I bought the car brand new in 2002. Also, the vented rotors are much thicker than the solid disc; therefore, they do not fit on E320s. The MB dealer quoted $55 for a rear solid rotor and $77 with a sensor for a front rotor (vented).
Old 06-30-2005, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The front rotors and pads are still original. I checked the pads and they are still good. I told that to the MB dealer. Of cause they didn't believe me. They thinkg someone must have replaced the front brakes. I don't know how that could happen since I bought the car brand new in 2002. Also, the vented rotors are much thicker than the solid disc; therefore, they do not fit on E320s. The MB dealer quoted $55 for a rear solid rotor and $77 with a sensor for a front rotor (vented).

Hi Joe-Joe-Joe-Joe-Joe,
You are not alone, a UK owner decided to remove the rear wheels to clean them. Whilst the wheel was off the owner checked the rear pads.

They were ""horrified to see the rear nearside pad down on the metal backing and the disc was badly worn???

The other side rear pad was OK as were the fronts, all about 1/4 inch left to go. So the question arose WHY? The frightening thing is that there are NO PAD WEAR INDICATORS on the rear. They would not have lasted to the service and I would have had a 1000 mile journey to do each way to Copenhagen
.*******

This car has only covered 26,000 miles and had received NO indication that the pads were worn!!!

Sensors are only fitted to the fronts??

Various suggestions are being offered about the latest electronic technology that applies braking to any wheel that is loosing its grip (ESP) and not forgetting ABS and BAS. I am still very concerned though about the lack of sensors on the rear brakes.

I would be very grateful if anyone that has had to replace the rear pads BEFORE the fronts could speak up.

Thanks very much,
John

John
Old 06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by glojo
I would be very grateful if anyone that has had to replace the rear pads BEFORE the fronts could speak up. Thanks very much, John
P-B-42.10/48 JUL04 (MBUSA) – Increased rear brake pad wear
Model 211.026/065/070/082/083/265/282/283 up to 5/04 production
For information only – basically meaning you’re not entitled to free replacement parts.

The variable power distribution of the SBC system applies additional force on the rear brake pad than a conventional system. This may cause increased and uneven levels of wear on the rear axle brake pads.

Since only the inner brake pad contains a brake wear sensor, it is conceivable that the brake warning message may not be displayed if the outer brake pad wears out.

Replace rear brake pads with revised parts A004-420-44-20.

Unfortunately it does go into detail as to whether or not the inner wear sensor design flaw has been corrected or the new rear pads will solve premature wear.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
P-B-42.10/48 JUL04 (MBUSA) – Increased rear brake pad wear
Model 211.026/065/070/082/083/265/282/283 up to 5/04 production
For information only – basically meaning you’re not entitled to free replacement parts.
As usual konigstiger you have come up trumps. Thanks very much and I will pass it on.

Kind regards,
John,
A sunny warm afternoon in Torquay
Old 07-01-2005, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since only the inner brake pad contains a brake wear sensor, it is conceivable that the brake warning message may not be displayed if the outer brake pad wears out.
Good morning Konigstiger,
I am very confused over the wording of the bulletin you have kindly posted.

""Since only the inner brake pad contains a brake wear sensor,""

Do you think this has somehow got confused in it translation?

The front pads have sensors and the rears do not. If front was inserted instead of 'inner', and rear inserted instead of 'outter' it would all make better sense (to me)

Regards,
John
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by glojo
I am very confused over the wording of the bulletin you have kindly posted. Regards, John
I understand it to mean that in respect the “rear” axle brakes only the inner pad at each “rear” wheel location has a wear sensor. I surmise that the revised parts mentioned in the TSB solve this problem by putting an additional wear sensor on the outer pad of each rear wheel location combined with pads that take longer to wear therefore the rear wheels would have both an inner and outer pad sensor as does the front wheels.

According to Iceman who replaced his own pads (E500) there are two front sensors and one rear sensor understanding this to mean that both pads to each front wheel location have wear sensors and only one pad (inner pad only) to each rear wheel location has a wear sensor. Again, hopefully the revised parts correct this.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=brake+pads

I personally have not changed out the pads or rotors myself (DIY), and will not attempt to do so. But that’s just me. So I cannot be more specific since I am only relaying what was printed in the TSB. I can email you a copy if you want. Either PM your email address or (if you’re comfortable) post it.

Might I add that since this is, in fact, a design flaw as it relates to the warning system it makes sense that, armed with this knowledge and in presenting a copy of the TSB, any reasonable service manager would agree to install the revised parts at no cost which should also include replacement rear pads, no?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can email you a copy if you want. Either PM your email address or (if you’re comfortable) post it.
Hi konigstiger,
Thank you very much for your kind offer, I will pm my e-mail address.

The problem with having a 'nearside' sensor is okay in theory, but in Europe and America you both drive on the 'wrong side' of the road, so the nearside for you is actually the offside.

It's strange, because when I used to march, I was always the only person in step????

Take care, and thank you very much for your assistance,

Regards,
John

A cool morning in Torquay