E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does the service department readily know where you purchased your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the service department readily know where you purchased your car?

Does anyone know if service departments typically know where you purchased your car? For example, if I were to bring my car in for service at a different dealership than I bought the car, would the service people readily know this information and be less likely to cut me a break on pricing?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
They look it up usually before you get there. I don't know about getting a break on pricing but a lot of dealers use that info in determining if you get a free MB loaner or a courtesy bs ride home.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Yes, the work order usually even has it printed along the top with all other info. As far as loaners go it depends upon the policy of the dealer. In my case, my dealer gives loaners to all.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM
BWL

Service departments do know where you bought your car. I bought mine in California and live in Oregon and they mentioned it to me the first time I had the car serviced.

Has it made any difference in how I am treated? I would say absolutely not.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Service is where all of the money lies

after the sale, that is. They take what they can get. I have heard of a number of dealerships that only offer free loaners to their own sales customers, but that is not usually the Benzos.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM

2003 E-500
They know where ane when you bought it as it's a part of your VIN number history. I had a part fail on an earlier model E-320 when I was in Fort Collins, CO and called the dealer in Denver who ordered the part (a speed control stalk), and called me when it came in. He also advised there were a couple TSB's they could perform at the time of the part installation. I drove to Denver, picked up a Ford Explorer loaner and kept it for four days until we were ready to leave and then picked up my car with all repairs made at no cost from the dealer, and we returned to CA. I was very impressed by the out of state dealers support, and we put several hundred miles on the loaner prior to returning it.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:18 PM

2005 E500 / 1993 MR2 Turbo
Agreed. The dealers will know exactly who the current owner, past owner and original dealership of purchase when they punch in the VIN number.

You shouldn't have to be limited to the dealership that you bought the car from, when considering a service dept. Its all about where you can find the best Service Advisor, who will take care of you. Yeah, most dealers will say that they offer loaners to purchase customers, but then again, most of the times, simply just making an appointment or asking will get you a loaner.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have NEVER serviced a car at the dealership from which I purchased it. I ALLWAYS buy the car from the lowest priced dealer withing a 3 hour drive, and service it at a local dealership whith whom I am comfortable with their skills, service advisors, and service facility.

Remember, the warranty is between you and MBUSA, and NOT you and any local dealer.

Dealers welcome service business. It is always paid for by either you or MBUSA, and you represent found business for them. Business they would not othewrwise have. I'm sure they also anticipate you will get used to them and buy the next new car from them... I know I will....if I can't find a cheaper price elsewhere.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:00 PM

2005 E-500
Lightbulb Service is King

I would not be concerned with taking a MB for service to other than the dealership who sold the car. In general (can vary widely) the dealership makes about 10% in gross profit from car sales. Service Departments net profit is between 45% and 50% at a well run operation. At most dealerships, the vast majority of profit is derived from service, not sales. This is based upon my banking experience in automobile financing where I read dozens of MB financial statements.

Any MB dealer will be glad to service your vehicle.

Overcast in San Francisco
Old 09-08-2005, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by larryssf
I would not be concerned with taking a MB for service to other than the dealership who sold the car. In general (can vary widely) the dealership makes about 10% in gross profit from car sales. Service Departments net profit is between 45% and 50% at a well run operation. At most dealerships, the vast majority of profit is derived from service, not sales. This is based upon my banking experience in automobile financing where I read dozens of MB financial statements.

Any MB dealer will be glad to service your vehicle.

Overcast in San Francisco
Having recently looked at acquiring an MB dealership for my family, I can confirm that this is 100% correct. New car sales is a loss leader in some cases.. use cars is another story all together.

btw.. Larry, isn't it ALWAYS overcast in SSF?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:51 PM

2005 E-500
Arrow Deception

CE750: Actually it is not always overcast, but I do not want to attract more visitors (or worse transplants) to San Francisco. There are actually some fine days in October/November and many in the Spring. I am a rare native of the "City" and am doing my part to limit change.

Sun is peaking through in San Francisco
Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
NO NO NO! Don't listen to Larry! He doesn't know what he's talking about. It is so damn foggy and cold here that hell is about to freeze over! Stay away if you want to live! There is nothing of value or culture either. It all froze a long time ago. Save yourselves while you can!

(See Larry, that's how you keep them away!)

Back on topic...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I didn't buy my old E320 from my current dealer and I always had my car serviced there. I always recieved a free loaner, and once in a while when they did not have any loaners in stock I got a ride home.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
NO NO NO! Don't listen to Larry! He doesn't know what he's talking about. It is so damn foggy and cold here that hell is about to freeze over! Stay away if you want to live! There is nothing of value or culture either. It all froze a long time ago. Save yourselves while you can!

(See Larry, that's how you keep them away!)

Back on topic...

don't you guys get it? If you want to keep those rediculous prices from bubbling over (last I checked my 35 year old, 2500sf Foster City house is over 1.4M now), you need buyers.. (or more properly idiots) to move in and buy those houses!

That's what's exploding the market here in Phoenix.. we're 1/2 the price of the bay area now on average. When I moved out here 5 years ago, we were more like 10% the price! IT's all population growth!

back to regularly scheduled programing...

What were we talking about again?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by CE750

don't you guys get it? If you want to keep those rediculous prices from bubbling over (last I checked my 35 year old, 2500sf Foster City house is over 1.4M now), you need buyers.. (or more properly idiots) to move in and buy those houses!

That's what's exploding the market here in Phoenix.. we're 1/2 the price of the bay area now on average. When I moved out here 5 years ago, we were more like 10% the price! IT's all population growth!

back to regularly scheduled programing...

What were we talking about again?
Sorry to keep going off topic but you are the one that doesn't get it. The long time Bay Area native families do not want property values to keep going up. The newbies are the speculators driving the prices up.

Back to the topic.....It is not just MB dealers. The GMC and VW dealers know this information when you bring the car in as well. Weather or not it makes a difference in the perks you get varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Sorry to keep going off topic but you are the one that doesn't get it. The long time Bay Area native families do not want property values to keep going up. The newbies are the speculators driving the prices up.
As long as you're pre prop-13, don't worry... get rich!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:26 AM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
Fletcher Jones Sucks, Part II

Don't know about other parts of the country or the state, for that matter, but it shouldn't matter where you bring your Benz for service...

Unless you have the misfortune of visiting Fletcher Jones M-B in Newport Beach.

At that cesspool of a dealership, they drop you like a hot potato if you're not ready to buy from their "largest inventory this side of Stuttgart".

Don't bother driving up to the service area in your Benz unless your windshield prominently displays the "Feltcher Jones" sticker, cos if you do, you'll be promptly turned away as if you have sarcomas all over your face.

I've had much better service at Caliber Motors in Anaheim Hills. Even though I bought in Laguna Niguel, Caliber won't hesitate to give me a free loaner and wash (if I wanted).