E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Electrohydraulic breaking system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport Package
Question Electrohydraulic breaking system

i went to the MB's showroom this afternoon, and picked up a new catalog about E Class. The SBC is disappeared in the catalog and replaced it by Electrohydraulic breaking system. This catalog is not about the facelift. Do all of you think the SBC will not applied in the E class after the September production???????
Old 09-25-2005, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by baubaulu
i went to the MB's showroom this afternoon, and picked up a new catalog about E Class. The SBC is disappeared in the catalog and replaced it by Electrohydraulic breaking system. This catalog is not about the facelift. Do all of you think the SBC will not applied in the E class after the September production???????
A breaking system . You mean to say they even have a way to break things. Those Germans think of everything.

Make sure if you order the breaking system that you also get De-Safe to balance out Pre-safe.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:18 AM

E350 Sport Package
Thank for your funny answer. I did a wrong spelling. BRAKING
Old 09-25-2005, 07:07 AM

2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
SBC (sensotronic brake control) is just a name for the Mercedes electrohydraulic braking system. Like they use Speedtronic for the radar guided cruise missle system (Mercedes marketing says it is just a variable speed cruise control but we all know better).

I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at the R, wife is back on the E-wagon, should have picked up a brochure!

Anywho, interesting what marketing does, I actually like SBC, when I don't think about it...I find if I *think* about braking little things bug me. Otherwise I love this thing will stop on a dime and give $.09 change.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I think that the SBC braking system will be replaced on the E by one that's similar to the new M-Class. It's not as sophisticated as the SBC system.

It biases the braking force towards the rear brakes when braking in a straight line. This improves braking and reduces brake pad wear on the front brakes but it will not brake in turns the way the SBC system can do.

Right now there isn't anything that's as good as SBC but there are those who don't trust it and those who think it will be high maintenance.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:05 AM

E350 Sport Package
What is the advantage of the SBC? How does it work? What make people choose SBC?????
Old 09-25-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
What is the advantage of the SBC? How does it work? What make people choose SBC?????
You don't choose SBC, you get it when you buy certain models of Mercedes including the current E-Class.

It's too complicated to explain how it works here but this http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sbc.html should explain it pretty well.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2005, 02:19 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally it was supposed to improve braking by getting rid of the lag that occurs when hydraulic fluid is pushed down a pipe to the brake pistons. MB worked on this "drive by wire" system for years to perfect it but gave up and will go back to standard braking systems which have been perfected over 100+ years. It won't be completely redesigned until the W212 appears in a couple of years.

The main knock against SBC is the "feel" is different than all other brakes and less direct. I have the AMG tuned version and they are hugely improved over my 03 E500. I can't tell that they aren't standard hydraulic brakes. Another problem that has plagued the SBC is when a software glitch occurs you have no brakes or that's what it feels like. You just have to push really hard (to the floor) to get them to stop the car. Do a search on this forum, there are many accounts of this happening. I know several folks in the E55 forum have had it occur.

As far as whether you can choose it or not, you can't. If you want a W211 E class you'll get it. The new S class has the new system, I believe. I'm not sure ablut the M class but I think they are standard hydraulic brakes.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Vetluver
I'm not sure ablut the M class but I think they are standard hydraulic brakes.
The 2006 M-Class uses a master cylinder and are as I described them. I think you'll find that the new S-Class operate the same way with the reduced function, i.e. no rear braking in turns.

I think the feel of SBC has improved over the past few years. My 2004 isn't perfect but it's better than the 2003 and from what I hear later models are quite good.