E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Moving to suburbia, which second car to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
Moving to suburbia, which second car to get?

After years of living in Manhattan, we are moving to suburbia and will need a second car. We are having a tough time deciding what to get. I do not like SUVs, my wife likes the E-wagon but I would prefer something different.

Any ideas for a family of 4 (2 small kids)?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by guru
After years of living in Manhattan, we are moving to suburbia and will need a second car. We are having a tough time deciding what to get. I do not like SUVs, my wife likes the E-wagon but I would prefer something different.

If I were in this situation I would get a 6 series, 7 series or the new 2007 Lexus LS.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
An R-class?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Too broad a question. What jobs is the "second car" supposed to handle?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML

2007 Lexus LS460
Old 05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
If you're looking for a "second car" for running errands, going shopping, shuttling the kids and other local stuff, you don't need another car that's as big, expensive and thirsty as your E-Class. Take a look at the Honda Fit - very inexpensive and economical, yet with a large interior and the most flexible seating arrangements around. It also has good safety systems. It would meet about 90% of your transportation needs, leaving the E-Class to pick up the other 10%.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
For a second vehicle I'd definitely look for something that can handle a trip to the hardware store or IKEA if needed! I know you are averse to it but I think the E wagon would be perfect. Also I recommend that you at least test-drive the Volvo XC90 V8 and see if you like it. It drives very well and is very safe. That's what I considered before deciding on a E500 but it's just me and I only need one car for now. For a second vehicle, I would definitely consider the XC90 V8. It's a really good value.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Too broad a question. What jobs is the "second car" supposed to handle?
Just regular errands around town like shopping, shuttling kids around, once in a while maybe long distance trips. A 4 wheel drive would be preferable, I would not have bought the E-class if it weren't for 4matic.

The R class, while intriguing, is just too big. I am going to examine the suggestions floated in here.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:58 PM

EQE350 4MATIC
Perhaps a Passat 4motion wagon?

http://www.vw.com/passatwagon/index.html

Pretty reasonably priced, all wheel drive, roomy, and highly pratical. Not too bad looking, either.

They are are good deals on 2nd hand ones as well.

An Audi Allroad is also a good choice.

Last edited by harperb; 05-28-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
How about a car-based SUV?

How about the Lexus RX, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, or how about a minivan?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:32 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Get a C350 and all you will be giving up is size from your E Class. I have a C350 and find it the nicest all around car I have ever owned. It is powerful, great handling, quiet, a great ride and has all the Meercedes safety features. If it is more than you want to spend get the C280. I'm not personally familiar with the C230 but it could also be a great car.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM

you have a lot of good choices if you are looking in the luxury mid-size:

a) AUDI A6 -- super popular here in NY

b) BMW 5 series -- awesome styling

c) Lexus GS -- more standard features for your $$

d) CADILLIAC STS - i'm telling you , this car is every bit as handling/sportly worthy as a bmw, or mercedes, just had a different manufacturer.

i like SUV's make you feel BIg & important, others give you attention, and hey whats not to like about having a commanding position of the road, (guess I got a big ego ) it feels like your getting more for your money. with BMW's SAV, you get an enjoyable driving experience too..but I digress... i've owned ML500 looking to get a BMW x5 this year. if you don't like the higher gas consumption and the fact you can't drag with the jap mobiles..SAV's the way to go

Last edited by sklasse; 05-28-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:32 AM

If you are just looking for a pretty neat second car that can haul some groceries and not cost much check out a Subaru Outback. The v6 one will set you back 30k tops, it has one of the best 4wd systems made (35 yrs of doing only 4wd cars), and they are super reliable. I got my wife one 3 years ago and she loves it.

The BMW x3 and x5 also fit the bill, but for quite a bit more. Take a look at the Acura MDX, probably the best car based SUV value out there.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by sklasse
you have a lot of good choices if you are looking in the luxury mid-size:

a) AUDI A6 -- super popular here in NY

b) BMW 5 series -- awesome styling

c) Lexus GS -- more standard features for your $$
I have been contemplating the BMW M5 but it is hard to convince myself to go that route. I will investigate the Audi.

I have also been asking the wife for permission for a ferrari type car but she just laughs it off.

I am buying a house witha 3 car garage so maybe some day I will get an "exotic" to go with the 2 utility vehicles....
Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
The R class, while intriguing, is just too big. I am going to examine the suggestions floated in here.
You didn't say how far out in the suburbs...

Let me add some issues, some of which have already been referenced. Unless you pay for contractors and delivery people to do everything, you will need something with carrying capacity. An E-class wagon won't do. It is high enough inside. When you want to bring home that 46" TV, a some larger power tool, a small piece of furniture or want have you, a big, tall, and preferably not too far off the ground opening will be appreciated. Last week, I had to leave a miter saw and come back with my Yukon XL because it wouldn't fit in the E-class. And it has occured several times with TVs.

Next, if your kids are in booster seats, most people seem to prefer having the seats in an SUV. They are easier to work on when they are higher up. Or rather they are harder to work on bending over in a regular passenger car.

And if your kids have friends, the regular sedan may just not be big enough. This is apparently more an issue with larger kids.

Note that the kid references are second hand...don't have any ourselves.

The R is more stylish than the ML, however the ML will do. It is the same size as an E.

Or your could get a Toureg V10 diesel. In Europe the MB engines are available on Chrysler products: Jeeps, Charger/C300 types, etc. It would be nice if they simply put it in the MB cars here!!!

If range an a little economy aren't an issue, then a Porsche Cayenne is an option. They are very popular around here.

Now an M5 is an interesting car...but not for hauling kids!!! My recommendation would be get the ML and a sports car. You could get an MB, or a Porsche, Corvette or depending on your budget Ferrari or S2k.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:17 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
For a second vehicle I'd definitely look for something that can handle a trip to the hardware store or IKEA if needed! I know you are averse to it but I think the E wagon would be perfect. Also I recommend that you at least test-drive the Volvo XC90 V8 and see if you like it. It drives very well and is very safe. That's what I considered before deciding on a E500 but it's just me and I only need one car for now. For a second vehicle, I would definitely consider the XC90 V8. It's a really good value.

If you are going to go the volvo route and want an suv like car without the bulk of an suv look at the v70 xc as much room as any smaller suv better milage and versatility
Old 05-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E-500, 2005 Mini Cooper S
Mini Cooper S
Old 05-29-2006, 01:56 PM

I have been contemplating the BMW M5 but it is hard to convince myself to go that route. I will investigate the Audi.

I have also been asking the wife for permission for a ferrari type car but she just laughs it off.

I am buying a house witha 3 car garage so maybe some day I will get an "exotic" to go with the 2 utility vehicles....
Well now you're talking our language! If you want a 3rd fun car there are lots of good options:

1. Convertible m3: Allows you to still haul the kids around and provides 9/10ths the performance of any high end 2 seater. I have one of these and it's a real hoot! I have never driven a sedan that handles as well as this one.

2. slk 350-55amg: Can't do much better for top down cruising than a car with a folding hardtop. Plenty of grunt to keep you smiling when you floor it too.

3. used 911: If the kids are small you can shoehorn them in to the back seats, and no one ever complains about a 911's performance.

If you want my opinion, get a decent cheap utility vehicle for the errands (mdx, outback) and put the money you save by not buying an m5 into a 35-40k toy 3rd car. This will give you the best of both worlds. No "utility car that handles" is going to compare to these options. Then again, you could forget everything I said and buy a Cayenne S
Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by kort677
If you are going to go the volvo route and want an suv like car without the bulk of an suv look at the v70 xc as much room as any smaller suv better milage and versatility
I agree with you there but believe it or not the handling and driving characteristics of the XC90 V8 is much better/refined than that of the V70XC. Also with the 2007 S80 coming out the V70XC is due for a redesign soon. Either way they are both wonderful vehicles and are extremely safe. If you are not as concerned with a more refined driving experience you can save a bunch by going the V70XC route. I would still rather get the E500 wagon over both options
Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
depending on how much you want to spend... audi S4, RS4, RS6...all in quattro..all nice cars to drive and very useful ..if you dont need the rocket power then there's always..the A6 A8..530xi...Lexus GS300 AWD...Acura RL...G35x...M35x....on the SUV side...ML350...RX350..MDX...X5 3.0...FX35...Porsche Cayenne...Range Rover Sport...theres a lot to choose from haha
Old 06-03-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
You didn't say how far out in the suburbs...

Let me add some issues, some of which have already been referenced. Unless you pay for contractors and delivery people to do everything, you will need something with carrying capacity. An E-class wagon won't do. It is high enough inside. When you want to bring home that 46" TV, a some larger power tool, a small piece of furniture or want have you, a big, tall, and preferably not too far off the ground opening will be appreciated. Last week, I had to leave a miter saw and come back with my Yukon XL because it wouldn't fit in the E-class. And it has occured several times with TVs.

Next, if your kids are in booster seats, most people seem to prefer having the seats in an SUV. They are easier to work on when they are higher up. Or rather they are harder to work on bending over in a regular passenger car.

And if your kids have friends, the regular sedan may just not be big enough. This is apparently more an issue with larger kids.
Not very far out, 20 miles or so outside NY city.

I will have to pay contractors and delivery people for everything. I don't see doing any work myself. So we picked a house that we can just move into withut having to do anything to it (at least for now). The yard, the deck, the pool, the drapes, the kitchen, the paint scheme, are all to be left exactly the way they are right now. Thankfully, my wife and I agreed on almost everything about the house.

Since I am not planning to do any heavy lifting, an SUV would be overkill. I would prefer something that gets better mileage.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 PM

Apparently the ML and R are available with the diesel. So that would be my first choice. In my opinion, diesels are much better than gas engines for daily driving. And either with a diesel will beat an any E-class gas engine in mileage.

Driving past a few schools in the morning, the overwhelming majority of cars are SUVs. The kids alone, with their friends and/or car seats will make them a better choice. The wide range of crossover SUVs--R-class, Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Infiniti FX, Audi Q7--are targeted to people who need or want something more than an car and less than a truck. The Cayenne and Touareg also fall in this range.

Suburban delivery is not all that good. And the trunk opennings on modern cars are very small, even if the trunks are not. Do you have someone home all day?