E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)

I was reading the washer lowering method (and the remarks about safety ) and decided to try it on my brand new (for me) '03 E500.

I did not want to dremel or modify the rear subframe, so once I was down there, I figured that all that was needed was for the sensor to be tricked into thinking the swaybar was a little farther away, so I unbolted the bracket and placed 2 washers on only one side and proceeded to bolt it down again. The results are the same as dremeling and completely reversable. I also did the fronts in about 10 minutes. I cannot see a downside to this mod at all, and there are no ill side effects. I put 2 and 3 guys on the back and tested many configurations with no problems.

For those that still think its unsafe, I will let you know if my wheels fall off and my engine blows a gasket or something. For those that don't know me (of course, I am a newbie here!), I have 20 yrs+ doing mods to cars, so to me this is as simple as tying my shoes. Great mod for 91 cents.

Cheers, Edward.
Attached Thumbnails Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)-img037.jpg   Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)-img038.jpg   Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)-img039.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Any plans to lower the front more or raise the rear to even out the gap?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Yours looks much better than stock. But it also looks like the front needs to come down just a bit more (1 washer) to look more even. It's becuase the front fender wells are cut higher. My front has 3 washers, and the whole car was lowered via StarDiagnostic.

It's been higher the last couple of days though. Definately not as low as the pic in my sig. Damn, airmatic.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
could you post some pics of the bracket(rear) you installed washers in?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Hmm, yeah, I guess I will try another washer for the fronts. This is the most fun I've had with suspensions in a while !!!

Cheers, Edward.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by tashakes
I was reading the washer lowering method (and the remarks about safety ) and decided to try it on my brand new (for me) '03 E500.

For those that still think its unsafe, I will let you know if my wheels fall off and my engine blows a gasket or something. For those that don't know me (of course, I am a newbie here!), I have 20 yrs+ doing mods to cars, so to me this is as simple as tying my shoes. Great mod for 91 cents.

Cheers, Edward.
Be careful what you laugh at. No disrespect intended, and I damn sure hope nothing happens to your car, but considering you have the experience you do, just answer me two questions. They relate to the front, only, as I have no problems with modding the back bracket or doing what you did (i.e. washer on top one).
1 - Why do you think MB made that bolt as long as it is?
2 - Did you notice that the nuts are oval shaped on the inside?
If you are still listening, consider how much $$ you have riding on those thread edges, especially as you continue to add washers.

A few, yes no biggie and it will look better. But to get a real lowered look, it is a crapshoot. Hope you roll sevens for your sake.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
hey jangy, where did you get your lowering module and did you do the install yourself?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I paid $1150 installed at a local shop. PM me if you want details, cause they are not a sponsor and I think it not cool for me to post their name.
They will sell them for $1150 shipped anywhere in US. The install is about an hour, depending on how creative you wanna be with where it is mounted.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
That lowered hight is actually a more correct spec than droping the fronts more. The rear has always been lower compared to the fronts in stock form, so if one were to lower it evenly, meaning keeping the car leveled, that would be the correct look. May not be what most people likes as they prefer the drop to "look" even visually, but this is a better lowering job imo.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by jangy
Be careful what you laugh at. No disrespect intended, and I damn sure hope nothing happens to your car, but considering you have the experience you do, just answer me two questions. They relate to the front, only, as I have no problems with modding the back bracket or doing what you did (i.e. washer on top one).
1 - Why do you think MB made that bolt as long as it is?
2 - Did you notice that the nuts are oval shaped on the inside?
If you are still listening, consider how much $$ you have riding on those thread edges, especially as you continue to add washers.

A few, yes no biggie and it will look better. But to get a real lowered look, it is a crapshoot. Hope you roll sevens for your sake.
Hey, this is what forums are for, different opinions. I completely respect yours, but if I was an 18 year-old fidling with the thing, then I may agree with you. Experience has taught me that many (if not ALL) parts for mechanical products have a certain degree of over-engineering. To me it is seems safe to do the washer mod. If I would have noticed any detriment in ride or safety, I would have stopped and not do it at all. And I did not notice the oval shape on the nuts, so now you got me guessing.... I will take the off when I get home and take a look to see what I can figure out....

Cheers, Edward.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
hey ed could you take pictures of what you did in the rear?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Dvinn
That lowered hight is actually a more correct spec than droping the fronts more. The rear has always been lower compared to the fronts in stock form, so if one were to lower it evenly, meaning keeping the car leveled, that would be the correct look. May not be what most people likes as they prefer the drop to "look" even visually, but this is a better lowering job imo.
You're correct. The front wheel well is normally cut higher in most cars, so an even drop (front to back) would give a bigger gap in the front. I think, although most of us know that, we prefer a more even drop visually, or even a slight "rake" (smaller gap in the front), which is what I prefer.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by tbone
You're correct. The front wheel well is normally cut higher in most cars, so an even drop (front to back) would give a bigger gap in the front. I think, although most of us know that, we prefer a more even drop visually, or even a slight "rake" (smaller gap in the front), which is what I prefer.

+1
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
hey ed could you take pictures of what you did in the rear?
Yeah, I gotta get the car on the ramps and stick the camera in there, I'll do it tonite.

Cheers!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hey, this is what forums are for, different opinions. I completely respect yours, but if I was an 18 year-old fidling with the thing, then I may agree with you. Experience has taught me that many (if not ALL) parts for mechanical products have a certain degree of over-engineering. To me it is seems safe to do the washer mod. If I would have noticed any detriment in ride or safety, I would have stopped and not do it at all. And I did not notice the oval shape on the nuts, so now you got me guessing.... I will take the off when I get home and take a look to see what I can figure out....

Cheers, Edward.
thanks d for the reply. Please do check into the washers as that is what ended that project for me. I have even gone as far as making a modified version of the links, so that it was a safe fit AND lowered the car. there are absolutely ways to do it cheaply and safely, I am just against the washer method IF you are really going to drop it nicely. Let me know what you think after you see the nuts and I even looked up their tolerances. Also note, that the threading is taperred, so more to keep in mind. AGAIN, it can be done cheaply AND safely, just enfineer a little something into it. I'll post pics of my modified links to show what I did if it helps. I eventually got the module not for safety, but for convenience of adjusting it as I feel without tools.
Other than that I was very happy with my home made links.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by jangy
thanks d for the reply. Please do check into the washers as that is what ended that project for me. I have even gone as far as making a modified version of the links, so that it was a safe fit AND lowered the car. there are absolutely ways to do it cheaply and safely, I am just against the washer method IF you are really going to drop it nicely. Let me know what you think after you see the nuts and I even looked up their tolerances. Also note, that the threading is taperred, so more to keep in mind. AGAIN, it can be done cheaply AND safely, just enfineer a little something into it. I'll post pics of my modified links to show what I did if it helps. I eventually got the module not for safety, but for convenience of adjusting it as I feel without tools.
Other than that I was very happy with my home made links.
I also had custom links made. Have had them for 3.5 years w/o any issues.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
alrite, here are the pics of the rear washers, circled in red.

jangy, you just gave me a great idea, I have an extra link for the rear. I'm thinking of fabricating a threaded section in which the lenght can be adjusted and then locked in place. It will be a weekend project, so lets see what comes from it. Have not looked at the fronts yet, since I think I will keep the 3 washers there and not add a fourth one for now. If the link for the back works, I will start playing with the front ones.

Cheers, Edward
Attached Thumbnails Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)-img040.jpg   Airmatic washer lowering re-re-visited (again)-img041.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Please do take a look at the front when you can and let me know what you think.
Also, if you do want longer threads, you can dremel the actual screw out and replace it with a nut and bolt (that is longer). i have also tried that. it was secure, at least and would hold a zillion washers (if you wanted). Also, once the hole is made, you can replace the bolt with one of any length fairly easily.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Merce-rati
i remeber seeing a full write up on this with pictures for when whoever first did it, i tried searching for the page, anyone have a link to it?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Perhaps you meant this one from way back.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/43822-lowered-front-end-today-15-minutes.html
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM

E550 W211 2007
E550 lowering with washers

I did not want to dremel or modify the rear subframe, so once I was down there, I figured that all that was needed was for the sensor to be tricked into thinking the swaybar was a little farther away, so I unbolted the bracket and placed 2 washers on only one side and proceeded to bolt it down again. The results are the same as dremeling and completely reversable. I also did the fronts in about 10 minutes. I cannot see a downside to this mod at all, and there are no ill side effects. I put 2 and 3 guys on the back and tested many configurations with no problems.

Cheers, Edward.
I Bought an E550 last week and looked at all the options.. I did this mod today.. took tops 45 minutes. everything came down nicely. 15mm on the back 10mm on the front.. 3 washers in all 3 locations.
Not a massive drop but definitely a much better look.

Thanks for the Post
Old 02-05-2018, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by E550W211NZ
I Bought an E550 last week and looked at all the options.. I did this mod today.. took tops 45 minutes. everything came down nicely. 15mm on the back 10mm on the front.. 3 washers in all 3 locations.
Not a massive drop but definitely a much better look.

Thanks for the Post
So you bumped an 11+ year old thread to let us know that your ghetto lowering job worked?

I feel like a cheap ******* for buying links instead of going with an ELM. I'd never consider doing the washer method.