E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Interesting reading for the keyless-go owners.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Interesting reading for the keyless-go owners.

Somthing to keep in mind with the keyless-go system: http://www.forbesautos.com/news/feat...ess_theft.html. It's a pretty cool feature but it might cost you your ride.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Insurance companies will be right on it.

They'll either talk to auto makers or just charge customers more.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
So you get a new car... how's that bad? I don't even install alarms in my lesser cars. Nowadays when a car theif takes your car its NOT a teen delinquent going for a joyride. Its going to the chop shop or to the docks and into a container ship... Bye bye for ever! If a car IS found, it is usually so damaged that it is totaled by the insurance company. (Witness how many times we've seen pix here and the insurance company totaled out an apparently salvageable car.)

I love my car dispite its many flaws... but if its taken, its gonna be gone for good... and then I'll place my order for a new one, which are kinda nice except fpr the tail lights.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
. . . and then I'll place my order for a new one, which are kinda nice except for the tail lights.
I'm sure you could remove the LED tail lights from a new 2007 and find someone with a 2003-2006 who would be delighted to trade their old ones for your new ones.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Seems most of the codes are cracked with a brute force approach where it floods the authentication system with all possible authentication codes. Seems like having the system validate maybe no more than 5 such requests a minute would address the brute force approach. Anyone knows the specifics of this and more importantly what is being done to address this?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Another flaw in the Keyless Go-type systems...

I was at a gas station the other day, and some people were pushing a Prius away from the pumps. Apparently the driver dropped somebody off and they took her keys (and attached transmitter), and she then drove from San Diego to Los Angeles. Wasn't until she refueled 120 miles away that she realized she was a victim of technology.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
But its really a such a nice feature that the car unlocks at your fingertip touch of the door handle, and you drive off with just a touch of the shift lever! Too cool!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Another flaw in the Keyless Go-type systems...

I was at a gas station the other day, and some people were pushing a Prius away from the pumps. Apparently the driver dropped somebody off and they took her keys (and attached transmitter), and she then drove from San Diego to Los Angeles. Wasn't until she refueled 120 miles away that she realized she was a victim of technology.
LMAOROTF
Old 08-23-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
So you get a new car... how's that bad?
Well, who do you think PAYS for that?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Talbot
Well, who do you think PAYS for that?
Hey, once the car is stolen, its gone. I didn't HAVE it stolen, and it needs to be replaced. Ya picks yourself up, dust yourself off & go on. The car's insured, all you end up paying for is the part of the car your have used up. Yeah, its cheaper in the long run if the car isn't stolen, but if it is... you move on. Who pays for it? We all do. That's life in the Big City. Its just not worth worrying about. (If my car's alarm sounded at 2 A.M & I woke up and looked out my window & saw 2 guys breaking into it to steal it, do you really think I'd go outside in my underwear & explain to them that car car belongs to me and they shouldn't be trying to drive it away? Or should I try to beat them up in my boxer shorts and bare feet?)

The odds of a Keyless Go car being stolen instead of a Key Start car being stolen are the same unless you're carrying out the percentage to the 3rd or 4th decimal point... As I said, not worth worrying about. If your car were not stolen would you pay any less for your 4 years of insurance? Your car's being stolen or totaled has already been figured into your insurance rates.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-23-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 PM

I wasn't arguing against Keyless Go. I'm a big fan. You asked the question 'how's that bad', and I simply responded with a quesiton meant to illustrate one thing that IS bad about vehicle theft - we all pay for it.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I don't see the hubbub... As we speak, I'm sure the software developers are encoding keyless go systems to block the car from starting if more than 10-20 random attempts are made to access the car in a 5-second period. (Just like when you can't remember a password at the bank... after three attempts it locks you out.)

Pick the parameters, as mine are just examples. The software can also be set to block the ignition for only 5 minutes (or whatever), then reset to allow the car to start by the owner.

I'm not a software designer, but this is a no-brainer for me.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
My local dealer hates Keyless Go. The reason? 5 times out of ten the owner leaves the dealership with the fob in his pocket. Meanwhile, the car is dead in the Service Entrance. There was a SL500 stuck there last week when I was in for service and the dealership had to dispatch someone to fetch the fob.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vinceC
My local dealer hates Keyless Go. The reason? 5 times out of ten the owner leaves the dealership with the fob in his pocket. Meanwhile, the car is dead in the Service Entrance. There was a SL500 stuck there last week when I was in for service and the dealership had to dispatch someone to fetch the fob.
What a ****ty reason to hate a great technology.
Incompetence of the dealer shouldn't hinder the advancement of what to me should be an essential feature on a vehicle.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Harley-Davidson
vinceC, how is it any harder for the dealer to ask for the keys for a Keyless Go vehicle than any other vehicle? The keys even look identical. If you left your car in the service entrance and then put the key in your pocket, the same thing would happen. Are you sure your dealership is really that stupid? 5 times out of 10????
Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM

2014 ML350 4Matic
cyclerider - Of all the M-B dealers I have dealers I have worked with for forty years, these guys are near the top. They have an active "early bird" system and many of the cars get parked in the service aisle over night and, as you say, the dealer is so stupid that the owner forgets to leave the fob in the night envelope. Perhaps they should get "smart" and put someone at the night drop off box 24/7. Stupid? Give me a break. Anyway, I am passing along a statistic they gave me.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Harley-Davidson
Sorry, vinceC, I guess your dealership isn't stupid after all. Apparently it's just 5 out of 10 of their customers who are.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
. . . Incompetence of the dealer shouldn't hinder the advancement of what to me should be an essential feature on a vehicle.
Turns out it's not the dealer's fault at all. It's a "night envelope" problem.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:45 PM

2014 ML350 4Matic
I don't think it is a mater of stupidity. I think it is a matter of carelessness, much like failing to use turn signals or plan ahead for lane changes. We all see this sort of carelessness several times in a day. I personally have trouble finding this feature essential. Is it really that hard to insert and turn a key? The random codes of the smart key are just as effective against theft. Maybe if you are in a rough neighborhood and don't want any delay getting away from the scene, I suppose. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:43 AM

2014 ML350 4Matic
Interesting link about car thefts and "theft proof" key systems form wired magazine:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html

Check out the bottom of page two for some interesting M-B stuff.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
... I personally have trouble finding this feature essential. Is it really that hard to insert and turn a key?
Its really not that hard to shift thru gears and use a clutch (as much of Europe does) but we like our automatic transmissions even though they are not essential in a luxury car either. Keyless go is not an "essential" item in ANY car... Its just nice for the family to approach the locked car in any kind weather, pull the handle & get in without waiting for the driver to get the key. (The driver or someone with the key in their pocket must of course be near some part of the car for the key to communicate).

Its just an extra luxury feature, that's all.