E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

vibration on the steering wheels and the seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz E500
vibration on the steering wheels and the seats

i have this problem on my car. when the car drive about 80 miles on the freeway, i can feel the car vibrating quite badly. especially on the steering wheels and the driver seats. it is because of the aligment of the car. but i just recently aligment my car. does any one have exprience it before? those any one knows where a good aligment place in bay area. thank you so much guys for the help.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
have you had the tires road force balanced recently?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM

2003 E320 Pewter
Had same problem on CPO 03 E320 I bought 2 wks ago. Had wheels balanced and problem gone. Also had occasional problem with slight steering wheel flutter (left to right movement) when braking. Very slight but just noticeable - dealer couldn't remedy. Would alignment solve it?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by otaner
Also had occasional problem with slight steering wheel flutter (left to right movement) when braking. Very slight but just noticeable - dealer couldn't remedy. Would alignment solve it?
Mention:
P-B-33.15/16a JAN06 Steering wheel twitch (side to side during slow speed braking) – replace torque strut bushings (part # A211 333 11 14).
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by brabus2ner
i have this problem on my car. when the car drive about 80 miles on the freeway, i can feel the car vibrating quite badly. especially on the steering wheels and the driver seats. it is because of the aligment of the car. but i just recently aligment my car. does any one have exprience it before? those any one knows where a good aligment place in bay area. thank you so much guys for the help.
I would suggest whenever you request a wheel balance always ask for road force balance. This checks for out of round tires, stiff spotting, and not only measures static balance “up and down” (normal balancing) but also dynamic balance “side to side”.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 PM

Mercedes benz E500
before the aligment, the car doesn't vibrate at all. just after the aligment the car start to vibrate. after that i came back to the store again and they say, maybe the balancing. so i did rebalance my car again. but it still vibrate. it make me more confuse. so i am wondering, is it about the aligment is wrong. or something else. by right after the aligment, the steering wheel should stop vibrating as well right. now i putting my car back to stock. but still vibrate.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:14 PM

2004 E500, 2019 S560
I had the same issue with the car. It was on the origincal Conti's, they told me it was the tires. FInally bought Pirelli PZeros was still there, even of raod force balancing. Upgraded to Michelins PS2's the vibration has decreased significantly. Still there depending on the speed and road I drive.

I've had the road force done several times, and alignment - still has not been fully resolved. I belive that MB does know if this issue.

My Torque Strut busihing was replaced as well.

Good luck in trying to resolve this - let us know what you find out.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 AM

Mercedes benz E500
ok. i will let u know once i solve it. thanks for the info anyway.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
it could be a number of things...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:01 AM

Mercedes benz E500
Smile

Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
it could be a number of things...
what kind of things that can cause it?
pls list it for me? thank you before hand.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 AM

LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by brabus2ner
what kind of things that can cause it?
pls list it for me? thank you before hand.
From the description, it sounds like tires/wheels, but you never know for sure. Alignment would not directly cause the vibration, but the resulting tire wear. Sure you didn't run over anything and bend a wheel or two?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:57 AM

Mercedes benz E500
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
From the description, it sounds like tires/wheels, but you never know for sure. Alignment would not directly cause the vibration, but the resulting tire wear. Sure you didn't run over anything and bend a wheel or two?
i am preety sure for that, because i am been changing my wheel from stock 17 to 18" to 20" but still the same, anyway i will bring my car for aligment again next friday to mercedes benz dealer. previosly before the car was aligment, it was alright. after i bring it to that stupid shop then it start to vibrate really badly. can it because of the aligment. or something else
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 AM

2003 E500
MB Forums Success!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Mention:
P-B-33.15/16a JAN06 Steering wheel twitch (side to side during slow speed braking) – replace torque strut bushings (part # A211 333 11 14).
Thank you sir, all I did was copy/paste this onto a Word doc. and faxed over to my Mercedes Tech and they are taking care of it.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM

E 500
Same problem with new wheels.

I recently put on a set of Iforged Daytonas and experienced the wheel vibrating between 55-65 mph. When I went faster or slower it went away. As it turns out one of my wheels, my right rear, is "out of round". Putting my old 17" stock wheels fixed the vibration problem. For me the problem causing the vibration was one wheel that was not balanced..

I would recommend checking the balance on your wheels or swapping them out. Good luck...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM

E500 4matic
Vibration + pulling

I have my '05 E500 vibrate (feel it on the steering wheel and little bit on the seat) at around 60mph. I had it with original wheels and tires. Then I bought new set of Pirreli Winter Sport 210 winter tires and put it on original rims. Same thing. Then I bought new set of rims (as summer wheels) and put my original Conti tires on them. Little bit better but still vibrates. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to check it out.
On top of that car pulls to the left . Go figure, everybody complains their cars pull to the right and mine pulls to the left, slightly but I can feel it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by tzar007
I have my '05 E500 vibrate (feel it on the steering wheel and little bit on the seat) at around 60mph. I had it with original wheels and tires. Then I bought new set of Pirreli Winter Sport 210 winter tires and put it on original rims. Same thing. Then I bought new set of rims (as summer wheels) and put my original Conti tires on them. Little bit better but still vibrates. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to check it out.
On top of that car pulls to the left . Go figure, everybody complains their cars pull to the right and mine pulls to the left, slightly but I can feel it.
Pls. keep us posted. Tks. I too have the vibration @ 60mph, and tks. to Konigstiger, I'll ask the dealers to perform a road force balancing of the tires.
What is interesting is that the dealer gave me 2 brand new front AMG rims (standard on the AMG Sport) yet the vibration exits, but from reading above, I never thought that REAR rim could also cause vibration, but it makes sense I suppose.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 AM

2010 E63
I would begin with the easiest and least expensive thing...which is to balance the wheels and tires. This is a quick way to eliminate (to a significant degree) the wheels and tires as the cause. If that does not solve the issues,
I would take it to the dealer and have them inspect the suspension components (primarily bushings)...I am assuming the alignment you got done was completed correctly on a calibrated rack.

As food for thought, an alignment is only as effective if your suspension components are in good condition (ie, if you have worn bushings, the alignment will not be as effective).

I had somewhat the same problems and it took the dealer 5 visits to fix the problem.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 248 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by howif
I would begin with the easiest and least expensive thing...which is to balance the wheels and tires. This is a quick way to eliminate (to a significant degree) the wheels and tires as the cause. If that does not solve the issues,
I would take it to the dealer and have them inspect the suspension components (primarily bushings)...I am assuming the alignment you got done was completed correctly on a calibrated rack.

As food for thought, an alignment is only as effective if your suspension components are in good condition (ie, if you have worn bushings, the alignment will not be as effective).

I had somewhat the same problems and it took the dealer 5 visits to fix the problem.

Good luck!!!
I agree but you would also have to be sure the shop doing tyre balancing would make sure the tyres are round and wheels not bent. You can balance a bent wheel, it would not vibrate when rotating free "in the air" but once you let it touch the road, it would vibrate.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 PM

2010 E63
Excellent point Diesel Benz!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
2006 E350, 22K miles. Pulls left and also vibrates at highway speeds. Does it with 19's and also stock wheels. Dealer states... "normal" operation...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by Mr.Gearhead
2006 E350, 22K miles. Pulls left and also vibrates at highway speeds. Does it with 19's and also stock wheels. Dealer states... "normal" operation...
Call your dealer, and tell them you are going to call MBUSA, and tell them that the dealership is saying their world class MB pulling to the left is "normal"..
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 AM

E500 4matic
Well, it took me lots of time to get my car in the dealership. Finally I got an appointment and went to see service rep, explained the issue and he suggested to wait for the foreman to return from vacation. Apparently foreman "talks to the cars". I said fine.
So I left the car the week I was in Mexico on vacation and spent number of times calling them to make sure they fix it.
Long story short, they said they did road force balancing and fixed the problem. Service rep was so excited saying they did not have to do alignment and how he saved my $$$ for alignment.
Now, this is the best part. I pick up the car and IT STILL VIBRATES.
I go back without appointment and go with a foreman for a test ride. He confirms that it vibrates but says this is a tire vibration.
I have a problem with that because it was also vibrating in winter time with a brand new set of winter Pirellis. After that I bought a brand new set of rims and mounted my original tires on it.
So, on June 30th I am going back to the dealership for another round.
I am so tired of this bs. My next step is explaining to the owner of the dealership that I am going straight to Mercedes Canada.
And all of this is happening in biggest Mercedes dealership in Canada that is just next building next to where Mercedes Canada offices are. If they **** me off enough I'll go there in person.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted but it might take a while.