E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My Nav keeps dying! Any ideas on the problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
My Nav keeps dying! Any ideas on the problem?

I have a 2005 E500. The Nav was put in by the dealer aftermarket, but is the regular COMAND E Nav system with the DVD in the trunk.

It has died on me three times since the summer.
Here's exactly what happens. It will get fixed, work fine for a while, then one day I will start the car, and I will notice that the dashboard display just says "N" (north) with no street name (I keep it on the compass display most of the time). When I press the NAV or MAP buttons on the COMAND, I get "Navigation Device Unavailable." The DVD drive in the trunk doesn't respond when I push the eject button. Everything else on the COMAND unit works just fine.

Each time I take it in, the dealer "replaces the whole NAV module." What that means exactly, I don't know, since the car is under warranty, but it hasn't seemed to fix it so far.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
One possible fix may be to mention P-B-82.60/382a MAY06 – COMAND head unit and audio gateway software will be updated - corrects a number of navigation and audio malfunctions.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Thanks. They did say they updated the head unit software, and its working right now. Time will tell, though.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Angry Broken again

Just a follow-up. When I got into the car Monday morning (March 12), the Nav was broken again. Same thing (instrument panel display says ony "N" and the head unit says "Navigation Device Unavailable."

Curiously, and possibly related, when I try to set the clock via the head unit, the clock sets 6 hours off the time I choose. For example, to set it for noon, I hit the "SERV" button, then Time, then set the clock for 12:00pm. The analog clock then moves to 6:00. I then go back into the time setting in the SERV button menu, and the time is set for 6:00am there too. Works for any setting (1:00pm sets for 7:00am, 3:00pm is 9:00am, etc.)
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I hate to sound like a broken record, but "I had the SAME problem" in my '04. The NAV failures were traced to a faulty CD changer, (after replacing the NAV drive twice) which was bringing down the system. When the CD changer was replaced, that eliminated the problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM

2014 E350 Cab
Thanks for the reply, Barry. Wow. Just to be clear, you're talking about the retractable 6-CD changer under the panel with the heated seat and hazard buttons, right? I'm pretty sure they've never checked that, since it's had the same CDs in it since I bought it, and they're still there.

BTW, do you think it matters that I haven't even touched the changer or listened to a CD from it in about a year (and in that time the NAV has gone down 4 times)? In other words, was your problem related to acutal use of the CD changer?

Here's an update-The service rep told me the NAV and clock thing were clearly related. He then said he'd have the "manager of the service dept" work on it and consult with MB to see if this same problem has ever been reported. This is the kicker - that conversation may take "a few extra days" to complete, so I've been warned that my car may be in the shop for more than a week.

Last edited by RickyEarl; 03-14-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by RickyEarl
Thanks for the reply, Barry. Wow. Just to be clear, you're talking about the retractable 6-CD changer under the panel with the heated seat and hazard buttons, right? I'm pretty sure they've never checked that, since it's had the same CDs in it since I bought it, and they're still there.

BTW, do you think it matters that I haven't even touched the changer or listened to a CD from it in about a year (and in that time the NAV has gone down 4 times)? In other words, was your problem related to acutal use of the CD changer?

Thats exactly the case that was with my car, but thats what the RO said was replaced. (The changer behind the moveable panel) I wasn't having any noticeable problems with the changer... I listen to it rarely since my car had SAT & I listen to that most often followed in popularity by the single sllot CD in the COMAND.

To be perfectly clear, once they replaced the changer I stopped having NAV drive failures. They replaced the NAV drive 3 times before someone good diagnosed the problem & came to the conclusion that it was the changer. I don't know how or why they are related, but that was their printed solution. I assume what was printed on the RO was in fact the truth, and not a way for the dealer to bill for additional parts & labor to make extra money off of MBUSA. The guys in the service department like me & always felt really bad for me with all the problems I was having with my '04, & always tried to get me up & running quickly.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
The service rep told me the NAV and clock thing were clearly related. He then said he'd have the "manager of the service dept" work on it and consult with MB to see if this same problem has ever been reported. This is the kicker - that conversation may take "a few extra days" to complete, so I've been warned that my car may be in the shop for more than a week.
Mention P-B-82.85/524 AUG06 New navigation processor / DVD not recognized. The navigation processor as of part # A211 870 52 26 requires navigation software version 42/05 (BQ6460216). The navigation software is backwards to all previous navigation processors.

FYI: When replacing a defective navigation processor, the replacement part number should be the same as the original since the navigation processor is compatible to specific head unit software. Also, part numbers with suffix “80” indicate remanufactured part.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by konigstiger
the navigation processor is compatible to specific head unit software
Would that be considered a limitation to anyone doing a NAVI retrofit, or can the HU software be remapped to be compatible to the retrofitted NAVI unit?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Barry, is there a way we can get your service advisor to talk to mine about the CD changer thing?

Hey, konigstiger, I will mention that service bulletin, but if that's the problem, does it make sense that the NAV works for a while then stops?

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by murman
Would that be considered a limitation to anyone doing a NAVI retrofit, or can the HU software be remapped to be compatible to the retrofitted NAVI unit?
No, only if you’re replacing your navigation processor for a malfunction isolated to the processor itself and otherwise all has been working normal.

Yes HU software can be updated if need be (i.e.: post #2). What I am suggesting to RickyEarl is that the dealer may not be replacing the navigation processor with the same part number in which case they will need to correct the navigation software since they updated the HU software without success.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Hey, konigstiger, I will mention that service bulletin, but if that's the problem, does it make sense that the NAV works for a while then stops?
Not likely but it can't hurt. At the very least it should spark their interest in knowing you're doing your research. If that makes any sense at this point. Actually they need to revisit the MOST network, possibly a communication error or connection.