E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by rsmith7
Arvindm, In your original post, you mention that you need to get your headlights adjusted. Why do you need to have them adjusted if everything fit in the original light sockets? I am really looking at making this investment. My stock lights suck.

I would really like to see some pictures if you can. You add the pictures below this posting screen. Click on the button for manage attachments. I have posted an example.

Thanks,

Ray
Thanks for your interest Ray. I got a couple of photos that might help you. The headlights needed to be aimed properly after changing over to HID bulbs. The kit fits perfectly but you still have to adjust the height and aim it correctly to avoid glare to oncoming traffic.

Thanks

arvindm
Attached Thumbnails HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-img_0578.jpg   HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-img_0579.jpg   HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-img_0581.jpg   HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-img_0582.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
Arvindm,

I purchase the MTEC kit on eBay. I started by pulling the light on the passengers side. This was extremely hard to get out and get un-plugged. I was wondering which wire from the kit did you plug into the car headlight harness? I notice that one side of the plug has two wires and the other side of the plug has only one. Which is positive and which is negative?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM

E350
Arvindm,

I purchase the MTEC kit on eBay. I started by pulling the light on the passengers side. This was extremely hard to get out and get un-plugged. I was wondering which wire from the kit did you plug into the car headlight harness? I notice that one side of the plug has two wires and the other side of the plug has only one. Which is positive and which is negative?

Thanks,

Ray
Hi Ray
What model and what year is your car? I presume it is 2007 E 350. The MTEC kit comes with two sets of wires. The one that is already attatched to the Ballast(Two round black wires ) is the high voltage wire that connects to the HID bulb. The other one which has a plastic sheath around is the one that connects to your car headlight power socket.This is the power supply to the ballast. it actually has two wires within. Red is positive and black is negative or ground terminal. You have to thread the open wires first through the rubber grommet that is attatched to the wires coming from the HID bulb and attatch the metal tips. Then you have to push the metal tips into the pink/red socket that comes with the kit. This socket will plug into the headlight wire socket of your car. Note that this will remain within the headlight housing and will come out through the rubber grommet and the other end will plug into the ballast. You have to drill a 1" hole in the dust cap to fit the rubber grommet on the dust cap. This will allow the wires to and fro from the headlight housing to the ballast without allowing the dust to enter the headlight housing. The high voltage wires will go from the ballast through the rubber grommet to the HID bulbs. After you have all the connections are in place (Make sure the ignition is off or even better the battery is disconnected) fix the HID bulbs into the headlight housing socket, replace the dust cap, make sure everything is snug.The drivers side headlight is a bit tricky due to lack of space to work. You have to dismount the reservoir next to it , move it a little bit across after you remove the screw holding it. Be careul not to drop any parts into the engine compartment-this can be a real pain to retrieve with your hands. Also be very careful while you are installing the hid bulbs to not touch the bulbs. The retainer clip that is provided should be positioned correctly and hold it firm while fitting the bulb. if it dislodges and falls into the headlight housing it will be very hard to retrieve. You may have to remove the headlight housing if that happens which involves removing the front bumper! If you are not sure what you are doing please take it a aftermarket installer who can do this for a small fee. It usually takes them 15-20 min if they have done a few. I took everything out to relace the bulbs with 5000k bulbs and it took me less than 30 min to re do it.I hope this helps.
Thanks
Arvindm

Last edited by arvindm; 11-28-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few toys & 07' E350 4matic w/AMG sport packg.
I want to do this to my 07' E350. I know ap lace that sells 35w kits and 55w kits, I'd like to get a 55w kit. But he's telling me I need a special extra box that's $50 to get them to work for my Merc, and it doesn't matter if it's 35w or 55w. Huh??
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 PM

E350
Originally Posted by MasterMoparSB
I want to do this to my 07' E350. I know ap lace that sells 35w kits and 55w kits, I'd like to get a 55w kit. But he's telling me I need a special extra box that's $50 to get them to work for my Merc, and it doesn't matter if it's 35w or 55w. Huh??
I dont have much experience with the 55w kit. As far as I am concerned, the 35w kit works just fine. The HID bulbs are three times brighter than the halogen bubs at 35 watts and i am not sure you are going to get that much more light by connecting it to a 55 watt ballast. It may cause you more problems by overheating the bulbs and the wires. I would stick with the 35 watts, 4500k or 6000k HID bulbs.
Thanks

ArvindM
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by arvindm
I dont have much experience with the 55w kit. As far as I am concerned, the 35w kit works just fine. The HID bulbs are three times brighter than the halogen bubs at 35 watts and i am not sure you are going to get that much more light by connecting it to a 55 watt ballast. It may cause you more problems by overheating the bulbs and the wires. I would stick with the 35 watts, 4500k or 6000k HID bulbs.
Thanks

ArvindM
Yea good call..I will be buying these:

http://gothidxenon.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=123
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM

E350
Yea good call..I will be buying these:

http://gothidxenon.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=123
Make sure you have the metal clips that hold the HID bulbs securely to the headlight housing. If you dont have these included in the kit, the HID bulbs will not fit the Mercedes headlight housing well!

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM

05 E500
Thanks

ArvindM
I use to think the same until I bought a 55w. If you think the 35w is good you'll be amazed with the 55w.. I have a 6k 55w on my E
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

w210 3.2 CDI
Good day guys ! My friend has w211 E320, year 2003, i want buy him fog xenon lights and both headlight lamps, which H is there ?
cause i know only European version of H...it is for both headlights H7 and for H1 - is there a diff between American w211 and European in lights or i can take same kit for him ? H7/H7/H1 ?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 AM

E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
Hey guys

First of all thanks to the health services chap for taking the time to take photos and share knowledge.
I know how much extra it takes to write up etc as i have done a few for a toyota starlet

Ok well i have an e500 02 (japanese assembled)

here is my dilema, i am attacking the head light high beam and this is what i found

complete original light wth the plug holder (plastic bit)

another couple of shots but now with the bulb removed and hte holder exposed.

So it doesnt look like -
http://www.lifeandhealthplans.com/images/DSC07741.JPG

Am i supposed to be drilling this holder so that it can hold the unit in place ? and if i do then i have to cut the rubber bung that is supplied with the hid kit and work out a way to reseal the head light unit.

If i have to do that then i would probably want a spare set incase i have to put it back to standard, would you know if these are easily attainable ?

After solving this i think i will be ready to try make it work but i was also offered an 'error canceller' which also says capacitor on it which i assume is the same as your capacitor modification but just something offered as a kit from them.

My question with this is it is definitely supposed to be before the balast ?
The guy was telling me to use it after the balast inbetween the bulb and balast.

thanks for any help
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM

E350
Originally Posted by aintez
Hey guys

First of all thanks to the health services chap for taking the time to take photos and share knowledge.
I know how much extra it takes to write up etc as i have done a few for a toyota starlet

Ok well i have an e500 02 (japanese assembled)

here is my dilema, i am attacking the head light high beam and this is what i found

complete original light wth the plug holder (plastic bit)

another couple of shots but now with the bulb removed and hte holder exposed.

So it doesnt look like -
http://www.lifeandhealthplans.com/images/DSC07741.JPG

Am i supposed to be drilling this holder so that it can hold the unit in place ? and if i do then i have to cut the rubber bung that is supplied with the hid kit and work out a way to reseal the head light unit.

If i have to do that then i would probably want a spare set incase i have to put it back to standard, would you know if these are easily attainable ?

After solving this i think i will be ready to try make it work but i was also offered an 'error canceller' which also says capacitor on it which i assume is the same as your capacitor modification but just something offered as a kit from them.

My question with this is it is definitely supposed to be before the balast ?
The guy was telling me to use it after the balast inbetween the bulb and balast.

thanks for any help
Hi

Its generally not a good idea to put HID lights in the high beam as you will not be using it for majority of the time.It is illegal to use high beam in city traffic! HID Bulbs take a few seconds to light up, hence it is not recommended for flashing. The best way to get HID lights for high and low beams is the factory Bi xenon headlights which is way too expensive. My suggestion is to leave the high beam alone and do the HID for low beam and maybe the fog lights. Do not drill into the original sockets as you will not be able to put the original bulbs back without purchasing new sets of sockets from the dealer.

Thanks
ArvindM
Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM

E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
hey bud
I get what your saying and it does make sense now why it is not hid from factory. I was dong it to match the low beams which to me look like they were factory fitted hids.
The city lghts/park light wedge bulb is yellow and so is the high beam bulb.

So i could just change the wedge bulb to an led type and the high beam to a look a like hid i suppose. fog light is not yellow but maybe i can try swap the kit for a h11 kit or just resell the kit.
Is there any point changing the factory hid system ?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM

E350
Originally Posted by aintez
hey bud
I get what your saying and it does make sense now why it is not hid from factory. I was dong it to match the low beams which to me look like they were factory fitted hids.
The city lghts/park light wedge bulb is yellow and so is the high beam bulb.

So i could just change the wedge bulb to an led type and the high beam to a look a like hid i suppose. fog light is not yellow but maybe i can try swap the kit for a h11 kit or just resell the kit.
Is there any point changing the factory hid system ?
The factory HID lights are generally better than the aftermarket ones. I would not mess with it. The one in Mercedes is pretty complicated if it has the self levelling HID lights. Try the HID on fog lights instead of the high beams. The golden yellow spectrum has better luminence(brighter) and fog penetration than the blue or purple lights. Try to stick with 3000k if you want better visibility in foggy conditions or 4300k Bulbs if you just want it to look white. Higher than 5000k is not recommended for fogs as it causes too much glare.
Thanks

ArvindM
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM

E350
Thanks for your interest Ray. I got a couple of photos that might help you. The headlights needed to be aimed properly after changing over to HID bulbs. The kit fits perfectly but you still have to adjust the height and aim it correctly to avoid glare to oncoming traffic.

Thanks

arvindm
Hi

I took a couple of photos after the HID lights were installed and properly aimed. I hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-dsc01805.jpg   HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-dsc01807.jpg   HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-dsc01813.jpg  
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM

So I went through 5 ballasts, but now I'm good. Yes, that's FIVE balasts, two sets and one other one (guy kept exchanging). The car was blowing them like nothing. The first couple of minutes they would work then they wouldn't come on anymore and the car would say it has a broken bulb.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM

2009 E350 Arctic White AMG Sport package W/ P2 option, 2002 C230 kompressor Coupe
So I went through 5 ballasts, but now I'm good. Yes, that's FIVE balasts, two sets and one other one (guy kept exchanging). The car was blowing them like nothing. The first couple of minutes they would work then they wouldn't come on anymore and the car would say it has a broken bulb.
MasterMoparSB - Please tell us the manufacture of your kit, so other do not make the same mistake. I would have to guess that the manufacture has a problem making a quality ballasts.

Ray
Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 AM

MasterMoparSB - Please tell us the manufacture of your kit, so other do not make the same mistake. I would have to guess that the manufacture has a problem making a quality ballasts.

Ray
Actually, they make very high end stuff, made in germany. I kept installing the "CANBUS" ballasts that are specifically made for Audi/VW/BMW/Mercedes, and they kept burning. The seller said "lets try the older ballast for the german cars", we used that and they are 100% for weeks now.

Afterwards he said he won't be selling those other ballasts to Merc drivers haha. He's installed them on VW and BMWs though, no problems. So I guess they weren't ok for ours!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

04 E320
Sweet write up! Got my kit at DDM tuning with the Error code eliminator kit. will post pics soon

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 180
Sweet write up! Got my kit at DDM tuning with the Error code eliminator kit. will post pics soon

Wow super cheap...I'm getting HIDs for the foglights now. 9006s right?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
...I'm getting HIDs for the foglights now. 9006s right?
Manual for my '07 says the fogs are an H1.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM

04 E320
Wow super cheap...I'm getting HIDs for the foglights now. 9006s right?
This is for 2004 e320
Low beam headlamp: H7
High beam headlamp: H7
Fog/Driving light: 9006

Silvania Guide

Last edited by 180; 04-28-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SPNJHockey
Manual for my '07 says the fogs are an H1.
That's why I ask...hmmm

I guess I gotta go under there. Maybe H1s are on the AMG facia and 9006 on normal ones?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 PM

04 E320
Has anyone done this by taking the Headlights out or taking the bumper off?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 180
Has anyone done this by taking the Headlights out or taking the bumper off?
Has anyone done what?

If you are referring to HID headlights, many have done it without removing the bumper or headlights. I believe that you have to remove the bumper in order to remove the headlight assembly.

If you are installing HID for the fog lights, I believe you must remove the protective shield underneath the front of the car. I do not have any experience with the fog lamps.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Has anyone done what?...If you are installing HID for the fog lights, I believe you must remove the protective shield underneath the front of the car...
True...
I believe there are 6 or 7 hex head screws holding it up, and can be taken off easily without being on ramps or a lift - if you have a goose-neck extension for your screw gun / screwdriver. Also have to crank the wheels to the side to get your head down and under the bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models