E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by GusGusZ
I Had The Same Problem And I Repaired My Phone And Wa'lah It Works
Dude.. sorry to point this out, but I couldn't let this one slide:

I got what you meant, but the proper spelling is Voilà (pronounced: vwä-lä) -- French for, there it is!; not Wa'lah (a misspelled Muslim reference?).

Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 SS, 2004 E320
Is That All You Have To Do All Day Is Go From Post To Post Giving Everyone Tickets On There Spelling & Grammar Or How They Should Use The Search Button Or How This Post Has Been Posted Before? I Mean Honestly Its Summer Time I Know You Can Find Something More Better To Do With Your Time Than Sit On Here All Day And Correct Everyone Dont You, I mean Your From Va Im Sures Its 90+ Degrees There Everyday Mow The Lawn Paint a Fence Get In The Pool Have Fun With Your Free Time Not Correcting Others, Just My Opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by GusGusZ
Is That All You Have To Do All Day Is Go From Post To Post Giving Everyone Tickets On There Spelling & Grammar Or How They Should Use The Search Button Or How This Post Has Been Posted Before? I Mean Honestly Its Summer Time I Know You Can Find Something More Better To Do With Your Time Than Sit On Here All Day And Correct Everyone Dont You, I mean Your From Va Im Sures Its 90+ Degrees There Everyday Mow The Lawn Paint a Fence Get In The Pool Have Fun With Your Free Time Not Correcting Others, Just My Opinion.
Dude... thanks for the opinion, but...

..keep that up, along with your CaPiTaLiZaTiOn, and rest assured you'll be wasting your time on this forum and not getting the feedback/responses you're looking for.

Most of us come here not only to get answers, but also to provide them. And, although we appreciate your obvious youth, and welcome your input, if we have difficulty reading through your contributions we may just end up ignoring them.

Oh. In response to your question: I don't go from post to post.. yours was just such a gem that.. well, 'nough said.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E500
Justed Installed at Holloway in NH. Works Perfect!!!!!!

I just got back from Hollaway in Manchester NH. The installed it in less than an hour. Everything works perfect (Phone book, etc.) I spend 380 for the part and $100 in labor. Not a bad deal....

Has anyone tried to pair the new Iphone from Apple. I have the RAZR now and it paired up perfect, but I am looking to get the Iphone.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-02-2007, 03:58 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
It does work with my Apple iPhone

I puchased and installed the 'Puck and Tail' myself and it works very well with my iPhone. The Address Book uploads quickly and the phone has no issues.

I have yet to go to the dealer to enable the steering wheel buttons.

In the meanwhile I have to dial from the iPhone itself.

If the phone menu shows on the radio it is possible to end the call with the 'END' button but no functions from the steering wheel are possible.

Also, while a call is in progress, the numbered buttons DO function. Great for navigating corporate menu trees.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 PM

E500
difference between "puck with tail" and the "cradle/puck combo"

I have spent much time on this post and the other started by benz-o-rama, great stuff. Anyone know the difference between "puck with tail" and the "cradle/combo" discussed in each? Maybe they are two ways to the same end. Got an 03 E500 and am going to attempt either way with my treo 700wx by sprint.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Ok, I will add my Puck w/ tail story. Went by my MB dealer and picked it up today. Install < 5 minutes (very easy). Turned on the car...(drum roll) and .....NOTHING on the MFD or Comand. Comand says "Phone not installed" the MFD says "NO Phone".

I know, i need the version coding... I actually was expecting nothing to happen. But I can say the paring with my CrackBerry went fine.

I have an appt Thursday to have the phone set to "fitted" with StarDiag. Actually the MB dealer was "very interested" in my latest project, as my '03 E320 will be the first for them. Everyone there said it cannot be done...I keep proving them wrong.. its kind of funny... They said I could not add COMAND, then said I could not add NAVI...HA !!!!I did both!!

So i will have to wait till Thursday to use it for the first time...I just hope they don't ding me 1 hour labor, as this should only take 15mins with the laptop.

I will keep MBworld posted...

JM
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by lasvegas99
I have spent much time on this post and the other started by benz-o-rama, great stuff. Anyone know the difference between "puck with tail" and the "cradle/combo" discussed in each? Maybe they are two ways to the same end. Got an 03 E500 and am going to attempt either way with my treo 700wx by sprint.

Still have no idea why people with 2003-2004's mess with this puck with tail thingy. I got my cradle, and puck for around 400.00 installed and version coded. I've been able to pair any bluetooth phone or PDA so far and I very rarely have a problem with it.

Is this puck with tail thingy way cheaper then 400? Does it look as nice as the cradle/puck setup? Pardon me for not reading through the thread.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
Your puck will work just fine once they change the setting to "fitted". I went to the dealer very early, I was the first one there. The service advisor invited me into the shop and introduced me to the technician that would run the star diag.

The technician was still in plain clothes as he didn't even have time to put on his blue MB overalls. He programmed my car within 10 minutes and they let me go without any formal "processing" of any invoice. It was completely free....

I'm vey happy with my puck w/ tail...

Originally Posted by jmorgis
Ok, I will add my Puck w/ tail story. Went by my MB dealer and picked it up today. Install < 5 minutes (very easy). Turned on the car...(drum roll) and .....NOTHING on the MFD or Comand. Comand says "Phone not installed" the MFD says "NO Phone".

I know, i need the version coding... I actually was expecting nothing to happen. But I can say the paring with my CrackBerry went fine.

I have an appt Thursday to have the phone set to "fitted" with StarDiag. Actually the MB dealer was "very interested" in my latest project, as my '03 E320 will be the first for them. Everyone there said it cannot be done...I keep proving them wrong.. its kind of funny... They said I could not add COMAND, then said I could not add NAVI...HA !!!!I did both!!

So i will have to wait till Thursday to use it for the first time...I just hope they don't ding me 1 hour labor, as this should only take 15mins with the laptop.

I will keep MBworld posted...

JM
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 AM

2013 SLK
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Still have no idea why people with 2003-2004's mess with this puck with tail thingy. I got my cradle, and puck for around 400.00 installed and version coded. I've been able to pair any bluetooth phone or PDA so far and I very rarely have a problem with it.

Is this puck with tail thingy way cheaper then 400? Does it look as nice as the cradle/puck setup? Pardon me for not reading through the thread.
Hmmm, because some of us dont have a cradle installed. If I had I would of used the puck BT module. But since my car had nothing, the Puck with Tail is my only choice. BTW my puck w/ tail cost $345 from my local MB dealer..

JM
Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm, because some of us dont have a cradle installed. If I had I would of used the puck BT module. But since my car had nothing, the Puck with Tail is my only choice. BTW my puck w/ tail cost $345 from my local MB dealer..

JM
That's the thing. I didn't have the cradle installed either. I purchased it and plugged it in myself. Bought the bluetooth puck and BLAMO!

I'm sure you've read this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/184452-sick-waiting-argos-can-someone-confirm-these-part-s-oem-bluetooth.html

None of us had the cradle, we all retrofitted it ourselves. So simple, a blind one armed pygmy could do it. That's why I don't understand why people are fooling with this "puck with tail". For about the same price, why not have the clean install of the original OEM unit?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM

2013 SLK
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
That's the thing. I didn't have the cradle installed either. I purchased it and plugged it in myself. Bought the bluetooth puck and BLAMO!

I'm sure you've read this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184452

None of us had the cradle, we all retrofitted it ourselves. So simple, a blind one armed pygmy could do it. That's why I don't understand why people are fooling with this "puck with tail". For about the same price, why not have the clean install of the original OEM unit?
Thanks Benz-o-Rama, i understand, at this point the end result will be the same, I dont want to re-engineer everything. As that will just delay everything. I dont mind how it looks now..

Do you have any recommendations on exactly what to tell my MB SA? I was planning on printing out the last page from the star bulletin on the install instructions for version coding, and the screen shot on the tele-aid "fitted" picture, and i understand DO NOT set blue-tooth ON? and Keep my phone paired when they do the coding?

Anything else?

Thanks

JM

Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Benz-o-Rama, i understand, at this point the end result will be the same, I dont want to re-engineer everything. As that will just delay everything. I dont mind how it looks now..

Do you have any recommendations on exactly what to tell my MB SA? I was planning on printing out the last page from the star bulletin on the install instructions for version coding, and the screen shot on the tele-aid "fitted" picture, and i understand DO NOT set blue-tooth ON? and Keep my phone paired when they do the coding?

Anything else?

Thanks

JM

Since I did the cradle/puck setup, I wonder if the version coding is any different? With the puck w/tail, I would suggest coding it with the phone paired. That way, logically, the car thinks it has a phone connected to it.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:32 PM

2013 SLK
Another SUCCESS story, just got out of my MB dealer, they had no problems version coding. I gave them page 20 with the StarDiag instructions.

My SA even made a joke to the tech, saying im coming to work for them because I keep proving them all wrong... This forum rocks.!!!

Took them about 15 mins, everything works!!! Even my phonebook downloaded. I have a Blackberry 8703e...

Worth every penny, dealer charged 30mins labor for programming.

I love it!!!! and Yes I cannot believe MB was charging $2200 for this!

JM
Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Know this is a little late but here is some info on the puck and tail

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html

Even has a nice PDF with some phones that work with the system.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM

SL500
S600 2001

I have S600 2001 -- Hardly drive it, last week I took it out and decided to make call. I believe I have a Silver Motorola Startac (not sure).

I am thinking of using my blackberry (GSM) -- What parts or puck should I buy.
Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM

E500 with sports package
I just bought the puck with tail. I will install tommorrow. The phone is a Samsumg with Sprint service. Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 PM

'13 E550 W4
My dealer (MB of Georgetown, TX) told me there is an option that can be done with the tele-aid digital upgrade (I unfortunately plan to get that since its a safety and convenience feature of the car I love), where a bluetooth device can be simply attached to that, avoiding any tail, puck, duck, or in this case...suck. I enjoyed going through and reading all these posts just to learn what everyone did, success or failure, but I'm tired and confused from it. I fear that it would be easy to mess up the install without expertise. I will investigate the option I mentioned from the dealer, and post my results when I talk to them.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 PM

C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
How do you talk - is there a built-in MB microphone? No one has mentioned the microphone...?

Thanks,

Smash
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Noob question, if I may:

This special "puck with tail" is available to us because of the CP211 tele-aid module.

However, is the CP 211 module analog, analog/digital or digital? If it's analog-only, won't this "puck with tail" fix be 100% obsolete when the airwaves go fully digital (2008, IIRC?). I seem to recall hearing elsewhere on this forum that some old teleaid modules will soon be obsolete because they were analog...

Really appreciate clarification on this.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 1995 SL320
Originally Posted by murman
Noob question, if I may:

This special "puck with tail" is available to us because of the CP211 tele-aid module.

However, is the CP 211 module analog, analog/digital or digital? If it's analog-only, won't this "puck with tail" fix be 100% obsolete when the airwaves go fully digital (2008, IIRC?). I seem to recall hearing elsewhere on this forum that some old teleaid modules will soon be obsolete because they were analog...

Really appreciate clarification on this.
the tele-aid aspect of the CP 211 will go obsolete ( see https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/211977-teleaid-analog-vs-digital-q.html )

as far as the "puck with tail" or for that matter even the "v60 puck" goes, they will remain unaffected, as they will continue to "share" the CP 211's speaker and microphone, in order to make handsfree calls over its own bluetooth connection.

long story short... tele-aid will stop working, but you can still use the sytem for your bluetooth
Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by E500 Benzo
the tele-aid aspect of the CP 211 will go obsolete ( see https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211977 )

as far as the "puck with tail" or for that matter even the "v60 puck" goes, they will remain unaffected, as they will continue to "share" the CP 211's speaker and microphone, in order to make handsfree calls over its own bluetooth connection.

long story short... tele-aid will stop working, but you can still use the sytem for your bluetooth
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM

E320
Can anyone post pictures of the connection?

Hi guys, I have found this thread very informative, Thank You!

Can anyone please post a step by step - connection and installation of the where the puck with tail connects with the Teleaid. Pictures would be great!
If I do find how to do so, I will post pictures myself.

Just so you are aware there is a reply in this thread, but the pictures are not loading. Either I am doing something wrong or it is not working properly.

thank you for all your help in advance.

Jim 2003 E 320
Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 PM

So... has anyone been able to tap a source for the "puck with tail" for measurably less than OEM retail? I've seen one on ebay for $325, but the Scottish half of me says "lower"!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM

E320
Step by Step Instructions on install of bluetooth

Install of part #B67875855 Bluetooth Adapter (Puck with Tail) for vehicle (without) a phone system installed.

you will know this when you open the top portion of the center console and do not see a piece of plastic protruding from the center of the bottom of this compartment (dead center)

1. Purchase for 388.00 from dealership or online wireless4mb.com
2. purchase or find torx screwdriver or head for screws that need to be taken out. size T-8
3. go to vehicle and open center console
4. You will be dealing with the top portion of the the dual center console, not the lower.
5. when you open the top portion if the center console, look to the rear of the tray (towards back of the vehicle)( back seat) (closest to the rear heat ducts)
6. you will two screw heads (remove)(keep screws handy)
7. no need to remove front screws
8. Now open the second portion of the center console to expose the bottom of the top portion of the center console.
9. below remove the four torx screws that are holding the upper tray in place (keep handy)
10. once removed close tray down so that the top portion is down and the lids are open again
11. now remove the bottom of the tray near the area where the first two screws were removed. Do this by carefuly prying the tray up.
12. underneath is a bracket for the phone system is you had one, but we will connect the puck's tail to an open section on that bracket. easy click in. look and find that it's a male to female 10 pin click
13. your done!!!
14. now you want to run the wire of the puck to the back of the compartment and let it come up near the are where the first 2 screws where removed.
15. I notched a hole in the area so that when I replaced the tray it was not stressed. No need to do this but it looks cleaner.
16. I took a drill bit about the size of the wire. Drill a hole next to the side and made a U shape.
17. before replacing screws, turn on car and pair your puck with your phone.

Pairing

1. hold the blue buttonon puck for about 3 seconds, the light wull begin to flash rapidly
2. place your phone into pairing mode
3. if your phone asks for the code number for pairing, it is 62872
4. after that you are done

I still get "phone not connected, but it does work well. my steering wheel does not work yet. I have read that this will have to go back to the dealer so that they can connect their computer wizard to your car and update your software/firmware. I hope that when this is done all wil be perfect.

But I love the sound and feel of riding my Mercedes and not having a flashing blue light in my ear.

I'm a big boy now!!!

Good luck and thanks to those who have posted these threads and helped me.

I am in the process of upload a video which i took so that it wil be easier to understand because I was lost until I did it.

please give feedback if this helped you

Jimmy
ktushowboat@aol.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....