E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Robbie3015
Is there however a little neater way to hook-up to phone to the charger and store it? Right now I have it sitting in the cupholder with the cigarette lighter plugged in. Kind of messy looking. I am sure there are more elegant ways available....
i use belkin usb charger that looks similar to this...

charges much faster than those car chargers...
$6.99 at amazon...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Originally Posted by mekantor
I use the rear 12V outlet and pass the cable between the driver seat and the center console, its neat and out of the way unless you're a backseat passenger.

It is fairly easy to get under the floor of the storage area and access the cable that leads to the outlet, so you could actually integrate a charge adapter and hide it down there.
Gives my 5-year old a new footrest, I'll think it over a little more. On the post with the USB connector: you still need to have your ashtray open for that I take it?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Originally Posted by MJ50
i use belkin usb charger that looks similar to this...

charges much faster than those car chargers...
$6.99 at amazon...
That looks nice compared to the $10 one I bought at a gas station when I was in a bind w/o a charger. Damn thing fell apart and shorted out the fuse on the socket.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM

2004 E500
B67875855

This product works great on my 2004 E500 that had no factory phone. I read this forum and learned how to take apart the center glove box to check for the factory plug. Ordered the bluetooth adapter off E-bay for $250, pluged it in - but did not have success. I read iLm's posting and learned that it was necessary to change one of the tele-aid computer settings via a star computer from my MZB mechanic. The setting was the one just above phone number settings on the star computer. It took him 15 min and he charged me $25. It now works great. Could not have done it without all your help. Thank you

I am now a much safer driver.

P.S. the dealer said this would cost me around $3000
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmyers
P.S. the dealer said this would cost me around $3000
Every dealership tells you that b/c they don't know what they are doing and they are trying to a) learn how to do it on your car with your hard earned money or b) they try to steal your money b/c they assume you don't know anything about it. And people who don't know it better will pay that perhaps.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by jmorgis
Thanks Benz-o-Rama, i understand, at this point the end result will be the same, I dont want to re-engineer everything. As that will just delay everything. I dont mind how it looks now..

Do you have any recommendations on exactly what to tell my MB SA? I was planning on printing out the last page from the star bulletin on the install instructions for version coding, and the screen shot on the tele-aid "fitted" picture, and i understand DO NOT set blue-tooth ON? and Keep my phone paired when they do the coding?

Anything else?

Thanks

JM

Searched this thread and not sure the "DO NOT set blue-tooth ON?" question was answered.

Anyone know whether BT should be "fitted" or "not fitted"?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Fitted if puck is installed, not fitted if bt puck is not installed.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
Fitted if puck is installed, not fitted if bt puck is not installed.
Thanks!

Any idea what the tiny rectangular part with 2 small screws in the kit are for? Don't recall reading what it could possibly be for.

Murman
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

I have no idea either. I didn't use it. My puck is neatly sitting in the center console and doesn't move at all. I wouldn't worry too much!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ktushowboat
Install of part #B67875855 Bluetooth Adapter (Puck with Tail) for vehicle (without) a phone system installed.

you will know this when you open the top portion of the center console and do not see a piece of plastic protruding from the center of the bottom of this compartment (dead center)

1. Purchase for 388.00 from dealership or online wireless4mb.com
2. purchase or find torx screwdriver or head for screws that need to be taken out. size T-8
3. go to vehicle and open center console
4. You will be dealing with the top portion of the the dual center console, not the lower.
5. when you open the top portion if the center console, look to the rear of the tray (towards back of the vehicle)( back seat) (closest to the rear heat ducts)
6. you will two screw heads (remove)(keep screws handy)
7. no need to remove front screws
8. Now open the second portion of the center console to expose the bottom of the top portion of the center console.
9. below remove the four torx screws that are holding the upper tray in place (keep handy)
10. once removed close tray down so that the top portion is down and the lids are open again
11. now remove the bottom of the tray near the area where the first two screws were removed. Do this by carefuly prying the tray up.
12. underneath is a bracket for the phone system is you had one, but we will connect the puck's tail to an open section on that bracket. easy click in. look and find that it's a male to female 10 pin click
13. your done!!!
14. now you want to run the wire of the puck to the back of the compartment and let it come up near the are where the first 2 screws where removed.
15. I notched a hole in the area so that when I replaced the tray it was not stressed. No need to do this but it looks cleaner.
16. I took a drill bit about the size of the wire. Drill a hole next to the side and made a U shape.
17. before replacing screws, turn on car and pair your puck with your phone.

Pairing

1. hold the blue buttonon puck for about 3 seconds, the light wull begin to flash rapidly
2. place your phone into pairing mode
3. if your phone asks for the code number for pairing, it is 62872
4. after that you are done
RE: bolded item above... unless I'm mistaken, there are six screws underside. Which two do I NOT remove?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

See attached pictures. I circled red the screws! I posted more than just these in this thread and cannot re-upload them again. So please check this thread since I posted all steps of this whole installation with pictures.
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-bt-replacer-002a.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-bt-replacer-003a.jpg  

Last edited by Mackhack; 03-04-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks, Mack!

Much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM

SIGH....

Went to MB Vancouver and they failed at trying to version code.

Couldn't find any of the SDS screens that looked like the pic above, and could not follow the communications platform path to set "fitted" for the "phone".

They couldn't even get past step two of phone installation regarding setting the instrument cluster. Said something about multiple versions of cluster came up, did not know which one to use, and too late to call Germany for clarification...

This sounds like just a software issue, but the tech says it could be a hardware issue, i.e. I might not have the CP211 installed. Is that possible?

PS: installation of the puck with tail was a dream. My Blackberry found it, paired up, even said it transferred the address book, so the puck sounds like its acting like it should. COMAND and instrument cluster still say "no phone installed" though...
Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Don't worry. I'll upload a picture-by-picture manual for you in a few minutes. Back then went to 2 different dealerships. They couldn't do it either. No clue why it was so difficult for them to follow the DTB that describes it. Did it myself but due to a faulty multiplexer it couldn't transfer the new data to the car. Steve helped out with his SDS and it worked then.
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming1.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming2.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming3.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming4.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming5.jpg  

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming6.jpg  

Last edited by Mackhack; 03-05-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added Screenshots
Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

... and the last two screenshots.

And I also send you something per PM so check it!
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming7.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-ic-programming8.jpg  

Last edited by Mackhack; 03-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Don't worry. I'll upload a picture-by-picture manual for you in a few minutes. Back then went to 2 different dealerships. They couldn't do it either. No clue why it was so difficult for them to follow the DTB that describes it. Did it myself but due to a faulty multiplexer it couldn't transfer the new data to the car. Steve helped out with his SDS and it worked then.
Hi again, Mack.

The screencaps you've posted seem to differ from the step-by-step instructions that have been shared:

F. Version coding and diagnostic testing
1. Connect Star Diagnosis (SDS) to the vehicle and perform the version coding outlined below.

2. Set the instrument cluster by using path:
Control units / Information and communication / IC – Instrument Cluster / Control unit adaptations / Version coding / Optional equipment
Set cellular phone to “PRESENT.”

3. Set the cellular phone in the communications platform by using path:
Control units / Information and communication / Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics / CTEL / Control Unit Adaptations / Read coding & change if necessary / System Configuration / Set “Portable Cellular Phone” to “FITTED” / Hit F5 to carry out coding / Hit F3 to transfer coding to module / Hit F2 / Select “Yes” to restart ring

4. Set the MOST ring configuration to match the diagram on page 11 by using path:
Control units / Information and communication / Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics / AGW / Control Unit Adaptations / Read coding and change if necessary / Specified configuration of MOST components
Note: The diagram on page 11 is an example of a MOST ring configuration including all components. Some installations will not include all the components shown in the example. If a component is not present, connect the preceding component to the component following the one not present.

5. Return to the “AGW Functions” menu. Using path:
Actual values / Actual Configuration of MOST components
Verify the version coding input above (specified value) matches the actual configuration performed during installation (actual values). The configuration is wrong if a difference exists. In such a case, disassemble and then properly reconfigure the ring. NOTICE
DO NOT alter the configuration in the diagram to match the vehicle configuration. Failure to have the configuration set as indicated in the diagram on page 11 will result in erroneous system operation and/or intermittent malfunctioning of some or all components.

Are these two separate workflows that must be done?

Could it be that the screencaps pertain to the instrument cluster stuff in #2 above?

Just want to make sure before I puzzle the MB guys with two separate sets of instructions.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

Screenshots are taken on a system from 2009. The instructions are written in 2003. This is why the naming is different.

Yes I only took screenshots from cluster programming. Not from the audio sub menu in DAS. I can do this later as I'm at the doctors office right now.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Screenshots are taken on a system from 2009. The instructions are written in 2003. This is why the naming is different.

Yes I only took screenshots from cluster programming. Not from the audio sub menu in DAS. I can do this later as I'm at the doctors office right now.
Mack, you ARE the man. Now let the doctor do his job!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by murman
Mack, you ARE the man. Now let the doctor do his job!
Back from the doctor... I'll check with SDS later and take some screenshots for you as well.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by murman
SIGH....

This sounds like just a software issue, but the tech says it could be a hardware issue, i.e. I might not have the CP211 installed. Is that possible?
Just wanted to clarify this question. You were able to connect the puck therefore you are prewired.

I had to try two different dealerships before I had success. Sounds like you may need to do the same! Don't give up!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

The cluster programming enables the steering wheel buttons and the display option. I think he said the 2. part of the programming which is telling the car's ECU that the puck is there was successful. My question now is since there are many in this thread who had to go to different dealerships:

What would this dealership do if you would have paid him 3000 Dollars for the installation and they can't version code it??? Just let you hang with have the job done?

Man the quality of some dealerships is below worst!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Back from the doctor... I'll check with SDS later and take some screenshots for you as well.
Hi Mack. Were you able to gather the screen shots for the teleaid path? Car goes in to the dealer tomorrow. Hoping a sure-fire roadmap will get them over the goal line.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

In an hour you will have it! Have to watch a 11 month old one from a friend right now!

Last edited by Mackhack; 03-07-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM

LOL! Thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

So here are the other screenshots
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-telephone01.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-telephone02.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-telephone03.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-telephone04.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-most-ring-1.jpg  

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-most-ring-2.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....