E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e500 211.070
Success, but with a question

I thought that by now (November 2009) the dealers would be on board with this part but they are still clueless. I learned about it from an ad sent to me by MBUSA. When I called my SA he told me I needed the $1500 phone package. You can imagine my reaction when I read some of the early posts in this thread and realized it was as if my SA had read his script and was responding as programmed.

Anyway, I got the part, installed it myself, convinced my SA to get the system reprogrammed so it would recognize the phone, and BINGO, I've got a bluetooth phone capability in my car. Thanks to all who took the time to document their experience and to share their lessons learned.

Now for the question. When I use my phone with a bluetooth headset I can use voice actuated dialing. The phone asks me for a command and I say something like "Call Joe Mobile one" and it dials Joe's cell for me. I was expecting this capability with the in car system as well because I thought it was a feature of the phone and was independent of the bluetooth device. Does anyone know how to use this system to make the phone respond to voice actuated dialing like I described? Do I lose that capability with the puck?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
u need VCM...

Originally Posted by bbsiming
I thought that by now (November 2009) the dealers would be on board with this part but they are still clueless. I learned about it from an ad sent to me by MBUSA. When I called my SA he told me I needed the $1500 phone package. You can imagine my reaction when I read some of the early posts in this thread and realized it was as if my SA had read his script and was responding as programmed.

Anyway, I got the part, installed it myself, convinced my SA to get the system reprogrammed so it would recognize the phone, and BINGO, I've got a bluetooth phone capability in my car. Thanks to all who took the time to document their experience and to share their lessons learned.

Now for the question. When I use my phone with a bluetooth headset I can use voice actuated dialing. The phone asks me for a command and I say something like "Call Joe Mobile one" and it dials Joe's cell for me. I was expecting this capability with the in car system as well because I thought it was a feature of the phone and was independent of the bluetooth device. Does anyone know how to use this system to make the phone respond to voice actuated dialing like I described? Do I lose that capability with the puck?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Does anyone know of there being any refurb models of this item being available from MB? I'm choked by the cost of this item, even though slightly discounted prices can be obtained on ebay.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
I think you can put this in yourself.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM

2003 e500 211.070
Unhappy Pairing code

I've misplaced my instructions that came with my puck. Can someone give me the pairing code in case I need to pair the puck with my phone again?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM

2003 e500 211.070
Found it!

I found the pairing code in an earlier post. - Thanks anyway
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Robbie3015
This sounds familiar. '04 E500, no phone installed. I buy the puck with tail on Ebay ($250.00). Installation is supersimple (thanks other members). As stated prior, do NOT remove the clicked on false floor, as soon as you get the bottom cover of the upper tray off, you can access the connector.
I go with the instructions (page 10/11) to my local MB dealer (Alex Rodriguez LaPorte TX). Pick the car up, it doesn't work! Big story from the service manager and their electronic guru tech. "People just "think" they can get this piece out of the box and then all of a sudden, they have bluetooth!" Can't happen according to them, I need a new Audio Gateway, about $2,000.00. The service bulletin had disappeared from my car. Pleading didn't help. I have printed the pages again and I'll make another attempt shortly. I'll keep you posted
OK, dealer got it fixed now. Explained everything again, including the paperwork. It took a little convincing, but he finally tried it and it worked. Credit where credit is due: they didn't charge me anything for it. The pairing of the phonebook is not going good yet, does anybody have tips on that?
Pretty happy camper regardless...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

OK, dealer got it fixed now. Explained everything again, including the paperwork. It took a little convincing, but he finally tried it and it worked. Credit where credit is due: they didn't charge me anything for it. The pairing of the phonebook is not going good yet, does anybody have tips on that?
Pretty happy camper regardless...
US or Euro COMAND in your car? Euro COMAND you won't be able to download the phonebook onto your COMAND. US COMAND the only tip I can give you is trial and error. Some users here in the forum told us they could do it others never got it to work.

I enter my most important contacts manually as I need them (Euro COMAND user).
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Originally Posted by Mackhack
US or Euro COMAND in your car? Euro COMAND you won't be able to download the phonebook onto your COMAND. US COMAND the only tip I can give you is trial and error. Some users here in the forum told us they could do it others never got it to work.

I enter my most important contacts manually as I need them (Euro COMAND user).
Is this only personal experience, or do you have more references for this? I have a Euro COMAND, and I am unable to download the phonebook, but I was under the impression that this was due to incompatibility of the phone and puck, not anything having to do with the COMAND itself?

My COMAND does show the incoming number on it, and I can dial from it. I have a puck w/tail, and use a HTC Touch with Windows 6.5. I know a few people with the compatible BlackBerry 8830, so I'll try to test the phonebook transfer when I have an opportunity.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Steve from MBenzNL told me that I won't be able to download it and I can't. So it is personal as well as info from others. Other members here and in other MB forums tell the same. The reason is that in Europe we don't have TeleAid and therefore there is no such thing as the Puck with tail. So Puck and Euro COMAND don't quite work together in this matter. I don't always see the number in my COMAND if the number is not stored in the COMAND's phonebook. So this is something I never figured out why. Also the list of recent numbers is always empty so I can't use this feature either.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM

2004 E500
I have US comand, using the puck and I have a (very old) Blackberry 7730, about to get replaced. It downloads a few, random, numbers, from both regular address book and SIM address book and that's it. I can't find a synchronize button or anything. Every 3rd time I pair, the hooking up message on the command stays on forever and I have to shut it down. I'll try to let it go for a while on a longer trip, maybe that's the synchronization taking place.
Other thing, since the dealer upgraded the version code, the dial in the speedometer is off. The correct audio info gets rarely displayed and now with the phone that particular screen does not work either. It won't show the number dialed or the incoming number. The Comand screen does show all this correctly. Anybody have an idea?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

Perphaps they messed up the order of the MOST devices? Not sure thought. Why did they version code your car?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
WHAT IS THAT FOR??

HI

I checked my arm rest to find out if I can install a bluetooth and found one interesting cable with the end like a tv antenna or radio....or something.

Do you know what that is for???

also, just making sure, on the second pic - is it the place where I connect a cable with a bluetooth device??

thanks
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-dsc03769-medium-.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-dsc03772-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

That's how it looks like in my car. I mad a whole series of pictures for a simple to install manual.
Attached Thumbnails "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-bt-replacer-004a.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-bt-replacer-005.jpg   "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....-bt-replacer-005a.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 PM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
That's how it looks like in my car. I mad a whole series of pictures for a simple to install manual.
hi

yeah, but do you know what is that connector onthe 1 pic for? is it for the antenna??
thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

Have no idea since I don't see this one in my car... Could be a antenna cable since it is coaxial if I'm not wrong.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

I think your car is pre-wired for TV and that's the cable for. Just found out something like that.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
how do you take out the false floor ?

i want to see if i have phone connections under my console but have not strated digging though it -- any quick way to tell if the car is prewired for phone/bluetooth ?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM

2004 E500
Perphaps they messed up the order of the MOST devices? Not sure thought. Why did they version code your car?
As one of the steps in the service bulletin it was mentioned to update the version code, so that's what they did. Accidentally he also put the NAV in the MOST, which I don't have. During this last turnaround he took the NAV out again, but I still have poor communication with both the radio (poor, very intermittently) and the Telephone (none).
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

Hm, that's messed up. Why would they do that? Oh in Steve's words: B/c they don't know what the f++++ they are doing. He is so true! I asked them to version code my cluster for my new OEM Nav drive and what did they do? Updated my COMAND and disabled Video in Motion. Well they paid me for their f+++ up afterwards big cash. So if you don't do this kind of stuff yourself, you most likely get screwed up.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by hayseed
i want to see if i have phone connections under my console but have not strated digging though it -- any quick way to tell if the car is prewired for phone/bluetooth ?
Yes...what model year is your car?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM

2004 E500
It must be something in that MOST programming and that is something I cannot check myself. Even the two phone buttons on the steering wheel do not work. I am OK for now. I fool with it later
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM

2004 E500
Is there however a little neater way to hook-up to phone to the charger and store it? Right now I have it sitting in the cupholder with the cigarette lighter plugged in. Kind of messy looking. I am sure there are more elegant ways available....
Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Is there however a little neater way to hook-up to phone to the charger and store it? Right now I have it sitting in the cupholder with the cigarette lighter plugged in. Kind of messy looking. I am sure there are more elegant ways available....
I use the rear 12V outlet and pass the cable between the driver seat and the center console, its neat and out of the way unless you're a backseat passenger.

It is fairly easy to get under the floor of the storage area and access the cable that leads to the outlet, so you could actually integrate a charge adapter and hide it down there.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mekantor
I use the rear 12V outlet and pass the cable between the driver seat and the center console, its neat and out of the way unless you're a backseat passenger.
That's exactly how I do it. And it doesn't even look bad at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Puck with tail" initial impressions.....