E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front suspension wobble noise (airmatic)?Help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
Front suspension wobble noise (airmatic)?Help needed!!!

I have trouble on my 03 E500 front suspension lately there are times that when I drive over uneven road (very slight bumpy) or railway tracks after I pass those portion of the road I can hear a very slight wobbling noise from the driverside front wheel that last a couple of seconds.

I have visit the dealer a few times already but they seems can not find out what the issue was: at first they said the lower ball joint was worn and that was replaced under warranty and they claim that the swaybar links are worn too so I replaced those also but the noise is still there.

The very last time they said the lower swaybar links are worn ( the one attach the swaybar link to the control arm) and making that noise and I have those replaced too but with no help.

Any idea what will that be?

Also, I noticed that when I go over bumps the same side (driverside) suspension has less cushion (sounds like worn or flatened bushing sound) I really don't know how to describe it but it is a little harsher and noiser than the passenger side but other than the car drive fine and acts normal.

I also have my mechanic check all the joints / wheel bearings etc and they all seems normal without any excessive play, could that be something to do with the airmatic suspension?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Is it a knocking/rumbling noise? If so, it may be the result of the Airmatic compressor’s relative movement within its mounting bracket and suspension. The noise is excited by driving on rough roads. If this is the case, they will need to install new stop bumpers onto the compressor or replace the bracket.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:33 AM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Is it a knocking/rumbling noise? If so, it may be the result of the Airmatic compressor’s relative movement within its mounting bracket and suspension. The noise is excited by driving on rough roads. If this is the case, they will need to install new stop bumpers onto the compressor or replace the bracket.
Hi Konigstiger,

I was just about to ask for your help! After doing some searching I found this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea....22%2F32+AUG05 which has almost the exact symptom I've got. because the dealer been scratching their head and can't find the exact problem.

Do you have a copy of the DTB P-B-32.22/32 AUG05 so I can show it to the dealer?

I am sending you a pm now.

Thanks again for your help you are my life saver (and my wallet too)!!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Hi konigstiger,

Took the car to my local dealer today and just received a phone call from the service manager and was told MB agreed to fix it under their cost.

They need to order the parts and it should be ready by tomorrow afternoon, will post result after the fix.

Hopefully it cures the noise issue!

Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:49 PM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
Hi konigstiger,

Just pick up the car today and the rumbling noise seems fixed (at least I didn't notice for the 10 km drive on my way home so still have drive it more to verify).

However, I noticed that the passenger side is about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch lower the car just not level when parked.

Will it be something that after they remove the compressor there is something they need to setup properly?

I didn't notice that before they replace the bracket any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks again for your help and I really appreciate that!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by noyu
I noticed that the passenger side is about 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch lower the car just not level when parked.
(1) DTB P-B-32.22/15a low ride height at front axle after the vehicle has been parked at cold ambient temperatures up to VIN A255298, replace affected suspension air strut.

(2) In addition, DTB P-B-32.25/19d a new suspension strut installed on a high mileage vehicle, at least 50000 miles, would not match with the used strut and impair ride comfort and vehicle dynamics and therefore recommends that the struts be replaced in pairs.

Check your email.

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-13-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007-M5 2007-E63
Originally Posted by noyu
Hi Konigstiger,

I was just about to ask for your help! After doing some searching I found this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea....22%2F32+AUG05 which has almost the exact symptom I've got. because the dealer been scratching their head and can't find the exact problem.

Do you have a copy of the DTB P-B-32.22/32 AUG05 so I can show it to the dealer?

I am sending you a pm now.

Thanks again for your help you are my life saver (and my wallet too)!!
Is there any where I can find a copy of the DTB? I am having the same problem.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 AM

17 E43, 10 E5504M
pm with your email address, I think Konigstiger won't mind we help each other out!

We all owe him big time!