E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Integrated Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated Phone

Anyone order the Integrated phone? Seems preety conveneint to have one, but its a pricey option at $1595.

Anyone who ordered it think its worth it/not worth it?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:51 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
We ordered the voice activated phone. If available from the factory, it would be $1995. We were told that it will not be available until December. So, we are having the dealer install at $2500. Oh well. But, as to usefulness, it is fabulous. We know because we have the voice activated on our '03 SL. It is much safer to use. Pull the voice activation stalk (right side of steering wheel-identical to the cruise control on the left) and tell the computer who you want to call (if you programmed their name in) or just the number to call. The phone does the rest. The E has an even better quality as it adds a couple or three extra microphones to assure your voice quality going out. The other party's voice quality is fabulous through the sound system.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:44 AM

jhb, thanks for the information. I actually was considering getting the non-voice activated phone since my expereince with these voice recognition systems to date has been poor - you have to say the command a zillion times to get it to recognize what you mean. From what I heard the new Infinity Q45 definitely sufferred from that. But it sounds like your experience on the SL is that it works well - so I may change my mind.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:23 PM
jhb

I have been pleasantly surprised by the voice function. I think most problems occur because of background noise. On the SL, I only have problems when the top is down. To minimize restating the entire number in such instances, when dialing by voice, I state the number to be dialed in groups of 3 digits at a time. If the phone misunderstands one of the numerals, then I just say "correction" and the system repeats all the groups of numbers before the last group and then says "go ahead". Then, I only have to repeat the last three numbers without cancelling the call. So, with the E, I doubt I will ever have to repeat. It is fun talking to the car (and having it talk back)!!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
The option for v60 phone+voice is 051 and it is $1995, however it is delayed availability. I asked the dealer if we could pay for it now (like the DVD) and have it installed later. He did not know the answer and is checking on it. However, he made a suggestion that if we can not order it now, then we can order the v60 phone alone ($1595 option 050), and when the voice reco module is available, come in and just have that installed (he thinks it will be around $400+ installation). So it will work out cheaper than buying the whole unit when available, and at least you can use the v60 without voice until the module is available.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:38 PM

2012 CLS63
I had the phone system (non voice) on my 97 E Sport, and 2000 E 55. I really like it and find it to be extremely clear in the hands off mode. I've ordered it again for my 2003 E 500 Sport. I asked about the voice operated unit, and when I was told the manual for it is 400 pages, I said no thanks.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:30 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Phone - wuestions

Hello,

Maybe you can help me answer these questions:

1. Is the phone removable, or fixed?

2. Does it support Bluetooth?

3. If removable, is it a tri-band GSM, so I can travel?

4. If GSM, is it locked to one provider, of free/open?

I have a top of the line Sony-Ericsson already (T68i): US$350 unlocked. Why does Benz think they can sell me a phone for 15 times market price? Don't say "it is hands-free": that is in the car already, as are the antennas, the GSM transceiver, etc (for the emergency calling system). I am wondering, are there other reasons I might want to overpay by 1400%? My dealer does not know much about that phone yet, so perhaps I am missing something.

Michael
Old 11-11-2002, 06:57 PM
jhb

Michael:

I had been a Voicesteam GSM customer before we got our '03 SL. With the system in the SL, I was told that I could only use one of two non-GSM Motorola phones, the better of which was the V60. Thus, it is not a triband. I don't think it supports bluetooth.

It is a removable, normal V60 handset (with the MB logo), but apparently is made to be compatible with the MB fiber optic wiring systems and control systems. You can control other components and they are integrated with the phone (ie, the radio automatically mutes when you make or receive a call, etc.). I assume that it is so expensive because it is more than a handset and includes the components to integrate into the car's systems.

I was initially opposed to the price. After using it in the SL, I am very willing to pay the price for having it in our new E when it becomes available.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2002, 09:39 PM

If I already have a V60 then can I use that with the E or does another V60 need to be purchased?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:43 PM
jhb

Because I did not have a V60 before, I didn't check that out. I doubt that it will as the package from MB includes other components that may tie in to special features on the MB version of the V60 that are unique. You might ask your dealer to get more information. Perhaps another member has tried this and can share their experience.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:49 PM

I too have a V60 phone...unfortunately I was told by my dealer that the V60 has to be purchased by MB in order to work. I hope I wasn't being fed a line.

I am encouraged by the responses here as to how well the integrated phone system works on other MB's...helps ease the pain of shelling out $1595.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:01 PM

01 CLK430 cab, Silver/Ash/Blk top: 2003 E500 On order Silver/Ash, Sport package
I have the voice recognition Timeport in my 01 CLK cab and whenever I hit a bump while giving the number which happens often where we live in town with brick streets. I end up using the controls on the comand center.

We ordered the non voice since it was delayed for my wifes new E500 and she loves it!!! The v60 has much better clarity and the integrated sound is much clearer in MHO.

We both enjoy this new ride.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:16 PM

I have both versions (V60C from MB, and V60 from Verizon); just gave it try, and it works... (not perfectly, the steering wheel does not control very well...).

-- mb_newbie
Old 11-11-2002, 11:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Re: Phone - wuestions

Originally posted by mwillems
Hello,

Maybe you can help me answer these questions:

1. Is the phone removable, or fixed?

2. Does it support Bluetooth?

3. If removable, is it a tri-band GSM, so I can travel?

4. If GSM, is it locked to one provider, of free/open?

I have a top of the line Sony-Ericsson already (T68i): US$350 unlocked. Why does Benz think they can sell me a phone for 15 times market price? Don't say "it is hands-free": that is in the car already, as are the antennas, the GSM transceiver, etc (for the emergency calling system). I am wondering, are there other reasons I might want to overpay by 1400%? My dealer does not know much about that phone yet, so perhaps I am missing something.

Michael
Michael,

The way the phone works is that it works with the car system (I picked a nokia kit for my car) but I dont need to buy the phone from the dealer - it is GSM and you can control just about every aspect of the phone from your command / steering wheel. I would check if there is a kit that'll use the T68 in your car - if Nokia nad Motorola can do it with a kit - I'm sure Erricson can..
Old 11-12-2002, 01:06 AM
mco

ML430, E500
I'm confused. If you already own a v60 (non-MB). Is there some way to be able to use this with your E class without paying out the $1595 for the MB phone. That price really seems exhorbitant no matter how good the quality.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:49 AM
jhb

I have two MB V60s for the SL. I have taken delivery of the E and await the voice activated V60 for the E. There is no cradle in the E built in to the console. So, there is no way to use my current V60 to find out. I could try an aftermarket cellular retailer to install something. I understand that Motorola makes an in car kit. But, I doubt it will work with the electronics of the E and other posts have indicated that there is a recall of the Motorola car kit anyway.

All that is why I will just wait and spend the money for the warranty and equipment from MB. Michael, you may prefer an aftermarket car kit so you can use the GSM even if it does not integrate entirely with the MB controls. If I had to have GSM, I might consider that.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
It seems there are responses from more than just the USA so I will give the USA answer. Only the very expensive Mercedes supplied phones will work with the Mercedes systems in the USA. If you have a regular Motorola V60 phone that you bought someplace else, it will not work with the Mercedes systems even though it may look and feel like the Mercedes phone.

There is no GSM phone that will work with the USA Mercedes phone system. As far as I know, there is no third party suppliers of any adapters to make other phones work with the Mercedes systems in the USA, GSM or otherwise.

To make things worse, Mercedes does not even support their own older systems that use older USA technology.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:32 PM

It is interesting, looks like no one noticed my post.

I tried the normal Verizon V60 phone last night on the new E and it works (it has cradle installed but no voice activation module yet), dial home without any problem (using both wheel selection buttons and also the center console buttons).

The only thing did not work (I don't know if it is the original design or not?), when I used the steering wheel button to scroll up and down through the phone book and view the phone list through the VDO screen, the console screen does not scroll up and down. Otherwise, it works (hands free, one button dial/hang-up, radio/cd mute, volume ajust...).

-- mb_newbie
Old 11-12-2002, 04:41 PM

Anyone know how this is possible? For everything I have read, when you plug in a "non-MB" phone, the phone reboots or power cycles, or does some other funny behavior so it can not be used. Read the stick thread on V60 (first one) on the audio forum and it will confirm this. However, I think everything I have read has been with the v60 phone kit in a non-W211 MB. Has something changed in the new E?
Old 11-12-2002, 04:51 PM

Anyone know how this is possible? For everything I have read, when you plug in a "non-MB" phone, the phone reboots or power cycles, or does some other funny behavior so it can not be used. Read the stick thread on V60 (first one) on the audio forum and it will confirm this. However, I think everything I have read has been with the v60 phone kit in a non-W211 MB. Has something changed in the new E?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:06 PM

I don't know how is this possible. I just tried, and it works

I will give it a try on my CL tonight.

-- mb_newbie
Old 11-12-2002, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Why do you have the cradle installed if you did not order the $1500 phone? I thought that the car came without the cradle unless the phone was ordered?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:38 PM

As far as I know the cradle and the process module can be purchased/installed separately from dealer. (they do not need to be ordered when you purchase your car).

I ordered my cars with them (just got one extra non-mb V60 phone for Wife before the 2nd car arrived).

-- mb_newbie