E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY RAM Air Scoops for $1.66 Pics w/write up easy HP Gain **

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
911's and beyond
Cool DIY RAM Air Scoops for $1.66 Pics w/write up easy HP Gain **

I made some custom Air scoops to catch more air and I feel a diff. and it cost me $1.66 from home depot, dremel, metal cutting discs,metal tapping screws/laths flat black paint and 2 hrs. I will be making a more prettyified ram air scoop later and spend a little more time on it lol.. but for now this is functional and i am happy.

more info on this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/241857-prototype-ram-air-scoops-63-engine.html

OLD SETUP

NEW SETUP
Basic tools you need: Dremel,Metal Disc Cutters, Lath screws
Home Depot: roofing section will have these metal plates for .44 ea I bought 4
and flat black paint

Measure and cut the plate in half

it takes a few runs back and forth a few obstacles in the front but measure and cut accordingly

cut the OEM air scoops so you have enough room to screw in the new Scoops

use the laths to attach the plate to the OE scoop and then cut the ends of the screws off with dremel.. paint it let it dry and then attach

it should pop right in place. it doesnt look pretty but its Functional, I will guarantee an increase from the gate

Last edited by Abboushi; 04-30-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
sorry boss, this is not going to provide any sort of dyno proven gain.

The stock intake and snorkel setup is easily sufficient to feed a 5.0L motor.

Im glad you're happy, but to think this is making some sort of difference for you is a bit silly.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM

911's and beyond
Originally Posted by Oliverk

Im glad you're happy, but to think this is making some sort of difference for you is a bit silly.
there is a diff and i know there is and if u direct your attn to the dyno chart on the st link i posted you will see a gain. The idea in itself is Awesome but to think the stock intake setup is sufficient is crazy. the airflow is so restricted its ridiculous and as you know i swapped my airbox for an AMG box as well. do you have a W211?

Compare Stock air scoops

to my modified air scoops how much more Air am i getting then stock? MUCHO ! it makes sense in my brain lol..

Last edited by Abboushi; 04-30-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E60
Originally Posted by Abboushi
I made some custom Air scoops to catch more air and I feel a diff. and it cost me $1.66 from home depot, dremel, metal cutting discs,metal tapping screws/laths flat black paint and 2 hrs. I will be making a more prettyified ram air scoop later and spend a little more time on it lol.. but for now this is functional and i am happy.

more info on this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241857
this is where the concept derived from

OLD SETUP

NEW SETUP
Basic tools you need: Dremel,Metal Disc Cutters, Lath screws
Home Depot: roofing section will have these metal plates for .44 ea I bought 4
and flat black paint

Measure and cut the plate in half

it takes a few runs back and forth a few obstacles in the front but measure and cut accordingly

cut the OEM air scoops so you have enough room to screw in the new Scoops

use the laths to attach the plate to the OE scoop and then cut the ends of the screws off with dremel.. paint it let it dry and then attach

it should pop right in place. it doesnt look pretty but its Functional, I will guarantee an increase from the gate

Hi Rasheed,

I am glad you were able to copy our concept and make something that works for you. We do have a patent on the function of the scoops so I would need you to take the DIY post down.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
Originally Posted by RewopIPR
Hi Rasheed,

I am glad you were able to copy our concept and make something that works for you. We do have a patent on the function of the scoops so I would need you to take the DIY post down.
Who are you?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM

06 CLS500
Hi Rasheed,

You have a patent "on the function" of the scoops? what function is that? that it takes in air? the OEM vents already do that. yeah right.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 AM

E500 & ML500
Looks good. Nice write up
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Hi Rasheed,

Do you have the patent number for your scoops? It would be very informative for us MB forum members. Like the other member said MB air intakes already has a scoop function incorporated into it and other auto makers already has similar functions from small hidden, not too obvious scoops to very flashy in your face ones.

Speaking of air scoops Subaru comes to mind...
Attached Thumbnails DIY RAM Air Scoops for alt=.66 Pics w/write up easy HP Gain **-800px-auto_show_069.jpg  

Last edited by PartyVan; 05-01-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Nice job!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM

2007 S550 (S65 Package)
Hi Rasheed,

are you serious, WHO ARE YOU?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Not sure how much RWHP you're gonna get from that but a big for the effort. There's not a whole lot of us out here that are willing to fabricate parts for our W211's. Takes a little bit of *****, don't ya think?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Hi Rasheed,

You patented the AIR SCOOP? Bahaha, looks like you should be going after Mercedes, BMW, and every other manufacturer..
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

911's and beyond
you patented ur design and ur scoops not my Creation or the Concept..My design does not even resemble yours. Thanks guys for the compliments
Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Hi Rasheed,

You are obviously so full of sh*t it has clouded your vision. Even if you did have a patent there is no protection against someone building one for their own car. Patents apply soley to the reproduction of a patented design from a competing entity, not to DIY's.

Oh and by the way, WHO the HELL are you?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 AM

2007 A8L 4.2
Hi Rasheed,

Ha Ha Ha..... HAHAHAHAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAA.. (crying now) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. oh, oh, HAHAHAHA, oh, oh.... (wiping tears).. Ha haha..... ha ....

Man, thanks for a good laugh.....

Sorry Rashed, in my haste to laugh, I forgot to congratulate you for a good write up. While I see that the cold air redirection may help, I am just not sure how much or of it would even be noticeable. You do get an A+ for effort though! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by tashakes; 05-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Very Nice job!!, I think I will give this a try on my V12
Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Good job Abboushi!
I tried to make one using some sheet metals I had sitting around in my garage after I saw the E63 thread...but it doesnt look as beefy as yours. Maybe I'll drip by homedepot today and get follow your instructions.

Or is there copyright on it?

Originally Posted by Oliverk

FYI.
RPI scoops for the BMWs dynos out at least a +10whp gain, and its nothing more than two pieces of steel plates as well.

http://raceprecision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=342
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 PM

911's and beyond
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Good job Abboushi!
I tried to make one using some sheet metals I had sitting around in my garage after I saw the E63 thread...but it doesnt look as beefy as yours. Maybe I'll drip by homedepot today and get follow your instructions.

Or is there copyright on it?

FYI.
RPI scoops for the BMWs dynos out at least a +10whp gain, and its nothing more than two pieces of steel plates as well.

again Idk if theres any HP gain BUT i do know when i feel a difference in my car and i feel a difference its not instant but at higher RPMS and speed you def feel it pulls harder.I do have larger scoops then the "COMPETITION" Im not gauranteeing a 15hp increase but def an increase of airflow the more AIR the MO BETTTA. currently i am running My Air Scoops, AMG Airbox and Greenfilters. I also tweaked my exhaust setup and It BREATHES now! I am running an X pipe - > 2 Reso. -> 2 Magnaflows -> ypipe for tips and it sounds awesome..
my old setup was oem reso. -> x pipe -> 2 Magnaflows

Last edited by Abboushi; 05-02-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 AM

this is a cool diy. I am going to try this tonight. I also bought the s500 air tube
Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by phatmitzu

FYI.

different car, different engine, different intake setup.

those things look silly, and Im having trouble seeing a 10rwhp gain.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 or CL600, if I could make up my mind
Hi Rasheed,

You patented the directing of airflow to the intake using a piece of sheet metal ? Are you out of you fcking mind ?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
Hi Rasheed,

what is Rewop? and IPR is Intellectual Property Rights i'm assuming.... (on the very creative ID)