E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

"Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500
Do I go to the Stealer or just get somebody to clear the code?

So I got the Brake Wear Msg. I changed the pads and the msg was still there. I then changed the brake switch and it is still there. Now I guess it is the SBC. My question is, how do you know for sure it is the SBC. If the pump is bad, then shouldn't the car be unsafe to drive. So far the brake are acting normal and I can hear he pump working when I press the peddle many times.

Finally, has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to see if that would clear the codes?
The following users liked this post:
nalinc23 (09-18-2020)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglewwit
Do I go to the Stealer or just get somebody to clear the code?

So I got the Brake Wear Msg. I changed the pads and the msg was still there. I then changed the brake switch and it is still there. Now I guess it is the SBC. My question is, how do you know for sure it is the SBC. If the pump is bad, then shouldn't the car be unsafe to drive. So far the brake are acting normal and I can hear he pump working when I press the peddle many times.

Finally, has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to see if that would clear the codes?
Just go to a dealership and ask for a quick diagnosis. Pay 10 bucks into the coffee box and good. We're just a forum and can't really ask a crystal ball what it might be or not (especially since you did try different things already) to no avail.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes E500
additional insight

at 90k miles is when the message came onto my screen, you know the brake visit workshop not the red one, it took 5k miles for the sbc to completly go out, red message no brakes the whole shabang, dont take the message lightly, its there for a reason, under my circumstances (reconstructed title) i ended up spending a good $1700 on brand new pump and installation at local indy, fyi dont buy used pump on ebay. lol i bought one for 330 and had it installed to find out that its faulty yes they are to refund my 330 but guess what you dont find out the pump is faulty until it is installed so i had to pay double labor.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 PM

E500
Ended up being a small cut in the insulation on the wire for the sensor. I checked the sensors twice but didn't see it. Ended up costing me $65 at the stealer. Got the diagnosis a new sensor, and a car wash. I wasn't too upset about it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
I was lucky. An easy fix and under warranty

My Aug 2003 E320 had the Brake Visit Workshop message (in white, not red).

My dealer just checked it out and updated the SBC software at no charge. I am not aware of the specific DTC codes that may have been present to lead to the diagnosis and fix.

The dealer seemed well aware of the extended warranty on the SBC and I needed to have no arguments or debates whatsoever. I did not have to ask for this to be done for free. The dealer is West Chester Mercedes (in PA).

I had earlier changed the brake switch when I saw the message, but to no avail.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM

2006 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Krazyukrainian
if you have esp and all those other things going off, Its not going to be the brake switch, the SBC pump controls alot of those functions and is tied directly to the ESP system so this is a great indication that your SBC pump will need to be replaced. I am not an expert however i know this one all to well as i buy and sell Mercedes on the regular,
The big red STOP message along with flashing lights, warning alarms, slowing car, etc. do not necessarily mean your SBC pump needs to be replaced. I had the red screen of brake death (along with the alarms & lights). Brought it in to the dealer & turned out to just need a software update. N/C for that (I have 101K on the odo). I did have them do the brake fluid flush & replaced the cabin air filters while they had it - I had those on my list to do myself but the price they charged wasn't outrageous ($250) and seemed to be worth me not having to spend a few hours messing around in the cold garage to do it. OTOH, I will be doing the spark plug replacement myself :-)

If the SBC pump does go someday, I have the software update already done & I have a record of the brake fluid flush/replacement too so it should make it easier to get them to do the SBC replacement if needed.

Not all dealers are stealers :-) Or at least not all the time.

BTW, I also got a 10% discount for being a member of the 100,000 mile club!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 AM

2005 e 500, s 500
Hello owner of 2005 E 500 got the message brake service visit workshop so i changed my brake pads thinking it would fix the problem but out of nowhere i got the red lights stop brakes..etc. I had very little braking power and my ABS went on and the car kept flashing not in red lights ESP malfunction visit workshop well needless to say I have not moved the car since because it locks it self as soon as i put the key in it does not let me put it in reverse does anybody know if this can be caused by anything other than the sbc pump? also when the whole stop brakes thing happened my car would not go faster then 3o mph without hitting almost 40 on the rpms anything would help before i take it in to the dealers and they rob me complete and yes I am aware of the 10 year warranty on the sbc pump thank you so much and please help me out
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 PM

CLS %))
SBC BRAKE PUMP

Originally Posted by mohd3333
i took it to my local dealer , they make a report for SBC Unit and sent and email for the same to the Factory and the factory asked the dealer to replace the SBC unit free of charge "Cost on the factory"

but am having a question , what if i had faced the same problem in the future , they will change it for free for me again or they may not approve it ??
Hi Mohd3333

I have the same problem of the SBC pump on my cls 500 (2005) , I also live in Dubai , can you tell me which Gargash changed your pump free and who is the key person I should contact.

Thanks & Regards
Khaled
Can u send me your mobile number to get more details from you , mine is 0507259008
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM

2003 E500 sport
ok i got this same message and i messed with the keyless go and the car will start with it but as soon as i put in in reverse or drive the display turns red and says gear selector in park even tho its in drive or reverse.

what does this mean? car is a 03 e500 sport
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

Could it be the cable/connector that reads whether or not the car is in park? I had that before on a E55 AMG where that cable was defective.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 PM

E200
E200 with the same sbc problem

Hi mohd333, I have the same problem , with my e200 , which dealer had replaced the pump for you , on factory cost

Appreciate your kind support
Best regards
Sherif

Originally Posted by khaledkamel
Hi Mohd3333

I have the same problem of the SBC pump on my cls 500 (2005) , I also live in Dubai , can you tell me which Gargash changed your pump free and who is the key person I should contact.

Thanks & Regards
Khaled
Can u send me your mobile number to get more details from you , mine is 0507259008
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM

2005 e 500, s 500
Originally Posted by Brianda
Hello owner of 2005 E 500 got the message brake service visit workshop so i changed my brake pads thinking it would fix the problem but out of nowhere i got the red lights stop brakes..etc. I had very little braking power and my ABS went on and the car kept flashing not in red lights ESP malfunction visit workshop well needless to say I have not moved the car since because it locks it self as soon as i put the key in it does not let me put it in reverse does anybody know if this can be caused by anything other than the sbc pump? also when the whole stop brakes thing happened my car would not go faster then 3o mph without hitting almost 40 on the rpms anything would help before i take it in to the dealers and they rob me complete and yes I am aware of the 10 year warranty on the sbc pump thank you so much and please help me out
Just to let everyone know I did end up going to Fletcher Jones Newport Beach and got my sbc pump replaced free of charge. Dropped it off at 5 pm and was able to pick it up the next day by 2 pm!!!! Went to the cashier to get my keys and they said "there will be no charge" nothing sweeter that you can hear then that And anyone living in the Orange County area I highly recommend this place, staff there could not be nicer!!! And now my baby is back home and everything is working fine Thank you Fletcher Jones!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 AM

proton
Hi to all members,anybody can guide the right procedure to replace WDB21 ESP control unit?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

You have a PM
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM

E500 4Matic; E320 Wagon; Ford Excursion
The error can be a few things... I spent over $300 at the Merz shop and they replaced a fuse that blew less than a day later. Took it to a local mechanic that found the shop (previous work) had not bolted down the spare (E320 wagon) and the tire rolled back againt the break light assembly crimping a wire. New wire - no error message: $40.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 PM

2005 E55 AMG
So I got the Visit Brake Workshop message several times a couple weeks ago and at the same time I started noticing some brake squeal. Also, the Keyless Go would intermittently work. The visit brake workshop only came up intermittently as well.

So, to me, it sounded like it was obviously the pads. Order a set of Akebono pads for all 4 wheels and the 3 new wear sensors. Go to put them on today, doing one corner at a time. Took front left wheel off, pads had plenty of meat left and sensor was fine. Thought that was very odd, went to rear right and same thing, plenty of pad and no wear sensor damage. Checked front right and same thing. So now I am frustrated as hell trying to figure out how all the pads and the sensors are fine.

In the back of my head I remembered this thread about the brake switch and figured why not. I've already wasted an hour for nothing, might as well try this switch too. It looks like it was the brake switch! After replacing the switch, I drove the car for an hour making multiple stops to turn the car on and off using keyless go, and each time it fires right up and still no brake workshop message.

Thank you jeffsnavely. I'm just pissed I wasted all the money on pads, sensors, brake cleaner, and lube to have them sit around till these pads finally do wear away.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 AM

2006 C230 sport
I recently got visit brake workshop on my car & i plan on doing my own brake job so, my question is how do i know which brake pads to replace (front, rear or all four)? None of the brakes are squeaking & no visible wear on the rotors.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
You don't yet know that you need to replace pads yet...

Originally Posted by jrod73
I recently got visit brake workshop on my car & i plan on doing my own brake job so, my question is how do i know which brake pads to replace (front, rear or all four)? None of the brakes are squeaking & no visible wear on the rotors.
The message you are getting is not necessarily due to the pads. To check the pads you will need to remove a wheel at the front and look at the pads. If you've more than a qtr inch of pad material, excluding the metal plate, you may not need to replace them yet. Do this on one front and one rear wheel to get an idea.

Again, the message could be for something else, such as the bad brake light switch that this thread was initiated with.

I note that you're profile says you have a "C class" not an "E class", so you may get better answers if you go to the right forum.

If your pads are good, consider changing the brake light switch per the instructions in this thread if your C class has the same kind. If that does not resolve the issue, take it to your dealer for diagnosis. It may be that your system needs to be reset or software upversioned. That by itself shouldn't cost much at all and may be free.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

2006 C230 sport
Brake visit workshop

[QUOTE=ozusa;5303731]The message you are getting is not necessarily due to the pads. To check the pads you will need to remove a wheel at the front and look at the pads. If you've more than a qtr inch of pad material, excluding the metal plate, you may not need to replace them yet. Do this on one front and one rear wheel to get an idea.

Thank you for the helpful info, i will go and check. Plus, thanks for pointing me in the right forum.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM

2003 E500
SBC 03 E500

Took car to dealer to diagnose Brake Warning issue. The guy said the computer code was not the SBC Pump but the SBC Reservoir. He told me that the reservoir was not covered under the recall or parts warranty ($1200). He added that the part comes with the pump and would be changed as well.?? SO essentially the pump would be changed at my expense. This sounds very shady, but its a dealership, so not unexpected. They said nothing was leaking, but that was the area in which was throwing the fault code. I also mentioned that the A/C vent was blowing from the defroster on one side when it should be directed toward the passenger. Within 10 minutes of checking they called and said $1600 to replace an evaporator cover?? I was unaware this part was under the dash. Now when the A/C comes on, you can hear the flap knocking. Just to throw one more issue, I told him that the alarm will spontaneously go off if I lock doors with key. 5 min later he calls saying it was the alarm horn $300. I told him the horn works fine. Something is causing it to just go off!!! He could not provide any other answer. All that and I just paid the $100 diagnostic fee and took the damn car home. Any ideas on how to approach them about the SBC would be great! I usually do the repairs myself but thought to see what they would say since I had to pay anyway!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM

2003 E500
Thanks sooo much for this thread it was a quick fix for one annoying message had me going crazy for a week, simple and well put no more errors on my dash
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM

usa
same issue here i replaced the switch and the pad sensors and still have the message in the dash???
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by jeffsnavely
This has been mentioned many times on this forum, but not all in one concise post, so here it is:

For the price of this part ($9 with MB Club discount) and the very easy install, it's worth trying before anything else. Dealers stock this part as it frequently goes bad.

Malfunction displayed: "Brake - Visit Workshop".
Car would also not start with Keyless Go, had to insert key.

Car drove & braked fine, but message would appear after every restart.

Problem was: bad brake switch, also called stop switch or brake light switch.

PN: A001-545-40-09 for my 2004, there is one other part number for later years (A001-545-44-09) - verify the correct part with your VIN.

On the online EPC (https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/)
look under Group 54: Electrical Equipment & Instruments
Subgroup: 640: Switch, #70 on the diagram.

To change this part, remove the black plastic panel above the driver's footwell:
remove 3 torx bolts & pull apart the white large round connector in the middle, then pull panel out, no need to unhook the various electrical connections, just pull the panel part way out.

The black switch is above the brake pedal, along the metal arm of the pedal. If you have the replacement part in hand you will easily see where it is. Unplug the wire connection and then turn the switch 90 degrees to the right to easily remove.

The new one will only go in one way, plug in the wire connector, and replace the black trim panel.

Total time was 9 minutes! Malfunction message gone!

Why pay $100+ at the dealer?

Thank. I was going nuts about this too
The following users liked this post:
MichaelFuentes (05-03-2019)
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 AM

E240 MERCEDES BENZ
MY E240 HAS THE SAME VISIT WORKSHOP FAULTS,IS THIS LINKED TO MY AUTOMATIC GEAR SHIFT MECHANISM?I CAN NOT SHIFT FROM PARK UNLESS I PRESS A BY PASS SWICTH AT BACK OF UNIT,STILL CAR DRIVES BELOW 20KM/H
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by washmass
MY E240 HAS THE SAME VISIT WORKSHOP FAULTS,IS THIS LINKED TO MY AUTOMATIC GEAR SHIFT MECHANISM?I CAN NOT SHIFT FROM PARK UNLESS I PRESS A BY PASS SWICTH AT BACK OF UNIT,STILL CAR DRIVES BELOW 20KM/H
You know all capital letters makes it really hard to read and means you scream. It's bad etiquette!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY