E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

"Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
The part is only around ten
dollars. It located right under the driver side dashboard on the firewall. Very easy job to do, get the part from th dealer
Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E240 MERCEDES BENZ
Originally Posted by Mackhack
You know all capital letters makes it really hard to read and means you scream. It's bad etiquette!
Sorry about that,I used a only caps keyboard,My E240 jammed gear shifter.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 AM

clk 320
service break light

if you have the service break light on it also could be break fluid need changing
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM

clk 320
service break light

hi all i had my service break light visit workshop come on put it on a computer it says change break fliud but my mechanic cant find out how to reset the computer any iders please
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
Originally Posted by msavill
hi all i had my service break light visit workshop come on put it on a computer it says change break fliud but my mechanic cant find out how to reset the computer any iders please
Find a new mechanic.

Changing the brake fluid typically requires the use of MB's Star Diagnostic System, which in turn would also be able to reset the computer message. If your mechanic does not have one or know when to use it, then I would not even consider him to work on your MB.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e500
Originally Posted by jeffsnavely
This has been mentioned many times on this forum, but not all in one concise post, so here it is:

For the price of this part ($9 with MB Club discount) and the very easy install, it's worth trying before anything else. Dealers stock this part as it frequently goes bad.

Malfunction displayed: "Brake - Visit Workshop".
Car would also not start with Keyless Go, had to insert key.

Car drove & braked fine, but message would appear after every restart.

Problem was: bad brake switch, also called stop switch or brake light switch.

PN: A001-545-40-09 for my 2004, there is one other part number for later years (A001-545-44-09) - verify the correct part with your VIN.

On the online EPC (https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/)
look under Group 54: Electrical Equipment & Instruments
Subgroup: 640: Switch, #70 on the diagram.

To change this part, remove the black plastic panel above the driver's footwell:
remove 3 torx bolts & pull apart the white large round connector in the middle, then pull panel out, no need to unhook the various electrical connections, just pull the panel part way out.

The black switch is above the brake pedal, along the metal arm of the pedal. If you have the replacement part in hand you will easily see where it is. Unplug the wire connection and then turn the switch 90 degrees to the right to easily remove.

The new one will only go in one way, plug in the wire connector, and replace the black trim panel.

Total time was 9 minutes! Malfunction message gone!

Why pay $100+ at the dealer?

this fixed my "BRAKE - Visit Workshop" message on my 2005 E500. Thank you for posting, it saved me a bunch of money. In 2013, the part is $30.
The following users liked this post:
MichaelFuentes (05-03-2019)
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM

2004 E500
Great posts with lots of good info.! Thanks..I may have missed it but how do you check the brake pad sensors to be sure that they are operating correctly. Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Take One wheel off and check the thickness visually an you're good!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM

2004 E500
Thanks, Tony
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM

e500
Originally Posted by chuggie
this fixed my "BRAKE - Visit Workshop" message on my 2005 E500. Thank you for posting, it saved me a bunch of money. In 2013, the part is $30.
I'm hoping I can approach my Indy tomorrow and ask him whether replacing the break switch may correct the problem. When my Indy used the laptop to diagnose problem with "Break...take to shop" indicator, the lap top indicated brake reservoir faulty. So could the brake switch cause this diagnosed problem shown on the laptop? Indy said as reservoir is not covered under 10 year warranty, new reservoir would could $900, but advised I should pay another $200 to get the pump with the reservoir (as the pump could give out past the 10 year warranty). Total estimate around $1500. crossing my fingers that Indy acknowledges may be a brake switch problem and it corrects problem. BTW, just a week in a half ago I paid to replace the intake manifold for a little over $2000 so really don't want to incur another expensive repair.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM

2003 E320
BRAKE 'Visit Workshop' + Wipers Issues + Headlamp Issues????

Year: 2003
Model: E320
Miles: 136k (bought Sept 2011 w/ 103K)

Driving home from work yesterday and see 'Brake -Service brake Visit Workshop' (NOT in red)
During this same time I think I see one headlamp out (right side)

This morning - Same FSS notification. While driving I noticed my wiper blades would turn on by themselves (when on automatic, but no rain) Then I turned them off - but they still wipe. Also, I see that when I power on my radio my dashboard lights would flicker and wiper blades sometimey. When I use my remote to lock the door I notice not all my headlights would flash. Not the same ones from the 'headlamp issue above'

Other observations
-car breathing harder than usual (doesn't seem to be a high idle though)

1. Any suggestions on a DIY diagnosis? SBC? Brake Switch? something else?

2. Also - is there a website where I can run my vin for any recalls/warranty ???
Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Kraz... You don't need a website you need a capable dealership. This isn't just a maybe malfunctioning brake light switch. Let them perform a quick test with their Star Diagnosis System to see which control units have stored and/or current fault codes stored then get your car fixed the right way. Maybe it's a little more expensive than you wanna spend but it might be worth it.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Gentlemen, might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure before I go buying parts.
The "Brake - Visit Workshop" and "Brake Lining Wear - Visit Workshop" are two different errors right? I mean, the second error just came up on my car and I just want to know if this can be fixed with the just the " $10 brake switch" or change the whole pads?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beejaypunsalan
Gentlemen, might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure before I go buying parts.
The "Brake - Visit Workshop" and "Brake Lining Wear - Visit Workshop" are two different errors right? I mean, the second error just came up on my car and I just want to know if this can be fixed with the just the " $10 brake switch" or change the whole pads?
Two different messages = two different things issues to deal with obviously It's not a $10 fix if you got Brake Lining Wear. That means your break pad(s) are worn down and need to be replaced.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Two different messages = two different things issues to deal with obviously It's not a $10 fix if you got Brake Lining Wear. That means your break pad(s) are worn down and need to be replaced.
Thanks for that. somehow I already know it but I just want to make sure and maybe go for the cheaper fix. oh well, no harm in asking. cheers mate!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beejaypunsalan
Thanks for that. somehow I already know it but I just want to make sure and maybe go for the cheaper fix. oh well, no harm in asking. cheers mate!
No worries
Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM

I just joined and am very new to this forum. Just want to relate a "RED visit workshop" warning experience that I had last month(Oct 2013). My car is a 2003(January) e500 with less than 69000 mi. Without previous warning on any issue, I got the Red visit workshop warning and I immediately lost about 80-90% of braking power in that cool morning. I turned off and on the ignition 2-3 more times then the RED indicator went away. I did not want to take a chance driving it around. 2 days later I took it in to a dealer that I use for the last 20 years- 18 mi away (no problem driving it there). The dealer said its the SBC pump that needed replacing. (I heard that it has a, forgive my German not French, "stupid" useful life of 300,000 depressions and I confirmed this with the dealer.). I also heard it has an extended warranty of 10 years but mine is 9 months over. The bill be $2400 to replace the SBC. So I called the MBZ head office back east to see if they can help me out. The mail operator, not patient nor friendly, took my case and said it will be handled by a case manager. They would call me back with a decision. Days went by and no one called me back. So my second call to them revealed that my case was sitting in their computer and no one was working on it. TIME WASTED. This time they got me a case manager on the phone and work on it right a way when I mentioned to her that this is my 6 MBZ in 20 years (4 in the last 6 years alone and the last purchase was only 2 month ago in September). 2 days later the dealer called and offered to pay for the replacement part(SBC pump) but wanted me to help pay for labor cost. To cut the prolong hassle, We finally agreed on <$600 out of my pocket = 1/4 of $2400 or so.

The recall that people think or mentioned online is not a true mandatory recall. Dealer and MBZ USA said if you have a problem, then they will fix it within 10 years...

I am shock that this brake safety issue is not a total mandatory recall by MBZ USA, especially if the SBC is designed to cut off the braking capability(without warning) when it reaches 300,000 brake depressions. I am sure MBZ knew of this serious flaw. That is why I was told that this particular brake system was in use for only 3-4 years in the US.

Hope this helps when anyone needs to deal with MBZ USA. Patiently wait and you may get someone to call you back.

Last edited by Frank I.; 11-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frank I.
I just joined and am very new to this forum. Just want to relate a "RED visit workshop" warning experience that I had last month(Oct 2013). My car is a 2003(January) e500 with less than 69000 mi. Without previous warning on any issue, I got the Red visit workshop warning and I immediately lost about 80-90% of braking power in that cool morning. I turned off and on the ignition 2-3 more times then the RED indicator went away. I did not want to take a chance driving it around. 2 days later I took it in to a dealer that I use for the last 20 years- 18 mi away (no problem driving it there). The dealer said its the SBC pump that needed replacing. (I heard that it has a, forgive my German not French, "stupid" useful life of 300,000 depressions and I confirmed this with the dealer.). I also heard it has an extended warranty of 10 years but mine is 9 months over. The bill be $2400 to replace the SBC. So I called the MBZ head office back east to see if they can help me out. The mail operator, not patient nor friendly, took my case and said it will be handled by a case manager. They would call me back with a decision. Days went by and no one called me back. So my second call to them revealed that my case was sitting in their computer and no one was working on it. TIME WASTED. This time they got me a case manager on the phone and work on it right a way when I mentioned to her that this is my 6 MBZ in 20 years (4 in the last 6 years alone and the last purchase was only 2 month ago in September). 2 days later the dealer called and offered to pay for the replacement part(SBC pump) but wanted me to help pay for labor cost. To cut the prolong hassle, We finally agreed on <$600 out of my pocket = 1/4 of $2400 or so.

The recall that people think or mentioned online is not a true mandatory recall. Dealer and MBZ USA said if you have a problem, then they will fix it within 10 years...

I am shock that this brake safety issue is not a total mandatory recall by MBZ USA, especially if the SBC is designed to cut off the braking capability(without warning) when it reaches 300,000 brake depressions. I am sure MBZ knew of this serious flaw. That is why I was told that this particular brake system was in use for only 3-4 years in the US.

Hope this helps when anyone needs to deal with MBZ USA. Patiently wait and you may get someone to call you back.
Don't get hung up on the 300.000 brake mark. Some have reached 600.000 and still everything is ok.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Don't get hung up on the 300.000 brake mark. Some have reached 600.000 and still everything is ok.
I guess i am one of those who did not get full use from this sbc unit. I wonder if the old SBC is longer in use today, then what comes next, currently. Is it designed on xxx numbers of brake count still? Is it still called SBC but new version.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

As of MY06 there is no SBC in the cars anymore except in Maybach. SBC was way ahead of its time back then but they discontinued it. I personally thing SBC is the best brake system ever developed by mankind. A brake system that "thinks"with the driver and helps him in dangerous situations.

The 300.000 break cycles was the point where the motor of the pump or the brake pressure cylinder could malfunction but that was only an issue with version 1.0! Version 1.2 didn't have this issue anymore.

About the 10 years of warranty. I'm on the same side as many others that there should never be an expiration date of it since MB and Bosch which developed the system know about it but at the same time, from a business perspective it makes sense that they capped it. The car is old by now. It was developed in the late 90's and production began in 1999-2000! That's also one of the reasons why many complain about how old and outdated the nav system is today. Sure it was state of the art in dash navigation when it was developed and designed. Not my problem when people by this model 13 years after it was built. Sorry for getting a little of topic!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM

2006 CLS55
I had this warning light on (not red) and took my car to the place that installed the brakes, the guys in the shop could not figure it out and they called in the guys who sold them the software / testing gear and they said SBC had a small backup battery that failed? true or false?

Anyhow today the warning light went off (bright red) the car nearly shuts down, Brake Failure !! even ESP defective warning, braking is gone. Rolled to a stop, re-started the car and it was OK, drove straight to the dealer, hoping when they open tomorrow, I will get a new SBC on warranty?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

Of course it's true! Engine compartment, passenger side all the way in the back under the black air filter cover!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM

I replaced the aux backup batt(12 v motorcycle size) about 3 years ago( O'reilly a/p about $70). It kept showing red batt. warnings, that's when I found out about the second batt.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

My aux battery went dead after 10 years. It was still the original battery from back then when the car was assembled. I think no one can complain about that. Let's see how long my new $70 battery (not OEM though bc I think it is just way overpriced at the factor of 1.5)! My main battery is still the original one. That one only sucks a little bit if I have my SD connected for longer than 20 minutes. But besides that I keep running that one until it completely dies!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM

U got 10 years out of it, but my aux batt lasted only 7.5 years. The dealer mentioned to me 4 years ago to change the main batt. But I hesitated to replace an overpriced batt. If I dont have to. So I wonder how much longer its going to last.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY