E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

"Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
OT: dealership told me my brake pads were down. I refused to get them replaced. A whole 4 years later they were actually down and the sensor triggered! This is something I reported to MBUSA back then. For me it falls under the category let's scam this customer some money out of his pocket!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s500
brakes

I have a 2004 s500 Mercedes the brake warning pads warning is on, plus the steering has got tight along with abs light on and pre save inactive on
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jflow75
I have a 2004 s500 Mercedes the brake warning pads warning is on, plus the steering has got tight along with abs light on and pre save inactive on
That's really nice and thoughtful of you to share these moments of your life with all of us but what in the damn hell are you trying to say? Do you want us to say awwww poor guy has issues with his S-Class? Or do you seek help? If so we would need to see what your questions would be bc we don't have crystal ***** or if we do they are all in th shop for calibration.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL450
A big thanks to this post. My sister in laws 2006 E350 had been showing the brake wear message for 9 months now. All pads and sensors were new though. I bought this part for $10 from my local stealer with a shop discount and installed it in less than 5 minutes. No more message!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 PM

2004 E320
I have this message (not red) and installed new switch, but I still have the message. Do I have to get the code cleared with the diagnostic tool, or would it have gone away if it was the switch?

Please tell me that this isnt indicative of it being the SBC, as my SBC warranty just expired 4 DAYS AGO.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by navi243
I have this message (not red) and installed new switch, but I still have the message. Do I have to get the code cleared with the diagnostic tool, or would it have gone away if it was the switch?

Please tell me that this isnt indicative of it being the SBC, as my SBC warranty just expired 4 DAYS AGO.
Stop by and I'll read it out or see your dealership. That's why you put 100k on the table and made them a bit richer so they can help you! If they don't wanna help you tell them you won't come back ever (and of course you won't come back ever or you just made a fool out of yourself).

4 days is ok, they have leverage! Good luck or stop by like I said
Old 06-03-2014, 11:43 PM

2004 E320
I would definitely stop by but I am in Texas
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM

2004 E320
If the switch is the culprit will the light go away on its own, or will the Star Diagnostic Tool be needed to do a reset? I have not been able to find a definitive answer to this question.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Banned

If the switch is the culprit will the light go away on its own, or will the Star Diagnostic Tool be needed to do a reset? I have not been able to find a definitive answer to this question.
No SDS needed for that. It's a mechanical switch and won't through an error that could be stored in the control module.

Another part that you should check is your Aux Battery. Front passenger side underneath the passenger compartment air filter box. It's one plastic nut that needs to be loosened to get to the battery. If the battery's voltage is the same with idling and turned off motor, the fuse or relay is bad and you'll see the same error message (which is a generic let's bring the car to the shop message) in your IC.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C300 Coupe

Good chance you need a new accumulator. Code C2131 iirc. About a $1400 repair job at the dealership.
You might consider replacing the SBC unit now as preventative maintenance since it comes with a new accumulator. That might be a better, less expensive, option in the long run considering it's very probable you'll need to replace the SBC at some point down the road anyway and you're beyond the ten-year extended warranty period. Either way, it's going to cost you a chunk of change. How long you plan to keep this car is going to be a key factor in determining what you decide to do at this juncture. Good luck
Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM

2004 E320
The code I got was C249F I was told this means a SBC Control Unit. Can anyone verify that this information is true?

The local Dealership was unwilling to fully assist me with this, and unwilling to initiate a claim with Mercedes USA. As they said I was 12 day past the 10 year mark.

By the time the dealer had availability (1 week after my call) to see my car I was 12 DAYS past the 10 year mark and the dealer basically told me I was screwed and the best they could do on a $3,039 repair was to give me a 20% discount. Also note that my light came on prior to the warranty expiring but I went out of town and have flight records to prove that I was out of town for for 2 weeks prior to the car being seen by Mercedes.

I have since initiated a claim with Mercedes Benz USA and am awaiting their response. Has anyone had success with Mercedes Benz USA stepping up to the plate?

Last edited by navi243; 06-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 AM
Banned

The code I got was C249F I was told this means a SBC Control Unit. Can anyone verify that this information is true?

The local Dealership was unwilling to fully assist me with this, and unwilling to initiate a claim with Mercedes USA. As they said I was 12 day past the 10 year mark.

By the time the dealer had availability (1 week after my call) to see my car I was 12 DAYS past the 10 year mark and the dealer basically told me I was screwed and the best they could do on a $3,039 repair was to give me a 20% discount. Also note that my light came on prior to the warranty expiring but I went out of town and have flight records to prove that I was out of town for for 2 weeks prior to the car being seen by Mercedes.

I have since initiated a claim with Mercedes Benz USA and am awaiting their response. Has anyone had success with Mercedes Benz USA stepping up to the plate?
If you're in SoCal PM and I'll help you!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM

94 c220 05 e320
esp/abs/service brakes visit work shop

Hey I have a 05 w211 base model RWD I had the esp abs and service brakes visit work shop message show up in the dash and only light on is abs light the car drove fine except for the steering felt really stiff ... I drove home maybe 5 mins away at the time then shut her down and went home slept and work up for work that night and it was fine no messages ... 5 days later same thing happend on my way to work finished work and started the car no messages .... I scanned the computer with my ob2 with the abs light on and my scanner found nothing no codes or clf codes ... Any ideas. Is this a SBC issue or maybe the stop light switch any help would be appreciated ... as the star diagnostic will run me 280$$$$. Here in Canada pls thanks the message is gone again but I have a 2.5 hour drive to the cottage in 2 weeks and would like to fix it be fore I leave
Old 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

OBD scanner won't help you much bc if you get the red visit workshop message in your cluster display that means it's something MB related/internal and is not part of the OBD standard hence won't be stored as one of the Standardized OBD codes. Let a dealership perform a quick test with Star Diagnosis instead of letting us do the guess work. If you're in San Diego I'll do it for you.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM

94 c220 05 e320
codes pulled

Originally Posted by Mackhack
OBD scanner won't help you much bc if you get the red visit workshop message in your cluster display that means it's something MB related/internal and is not part of the OBD standard hence won't be stored as one of the Standardized OBD codes. Let a dealership perform a quick test with Star Diagnosis instead of letting us do the guess work. If you're in San Diego I'll do it for you.
Hey thanks I pulled the codes and I found out what some where but hoping the Mb community can help me out here these are the codes

6210= abs
6230= esp
p2403 = left front wheel speed sensor * now fixed *

And now the codes I don't know or can't find info on it

43af = ???

9051= ???

So I fixed the code p2403. My mechanic cleared the codes and when I left his shop I came back on so I don't know if maybe the other codes need fixing as well any help is appreciated
Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Banned

If they come back, problem is not resolved.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 PM

94 c220 05 e320
trying to diy as i do most of the time

Originally Posted by Mackhack
If they come back, problem is not resolved.
really thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Hey thanks for the heads up and that's why I'm here trying to get some answers I thought that's why this firm is here NO...... . so an update with a few bing searches I found some answers
codes all in white NOT RED
6210 means abs error message abs malfunction visit workshop

6230 means ESP error message ESP malfunction visit workshop

43af means front speed sensor message not yet displayed but soon to be a CEL code P2403 when pulled from obd2 code scanner

P2403 means left front wheel speed sensor

And last code was 9051

9051 is BCM consumer shutoff stage 1 what that means I'm still looking think it has to do with aux battier dying as far as I can see so I will have my indie pull the codes with his giant computer scanner NOT just an OBD2 code scanner it pulls the same codes as the Mercedes Benz star diagnostic scanner so I will see if all codes are still there

Thanks for any help
Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trixs
really thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
Hey thanks for the heads up and that's why I'm here trying to get some answers I thought that's why this firm is here NO...... . so an update with a few bing searches I found some answers
codes all in white NOT RED
6210 means abs error message abs malfunction visit workshop

6230 means ESP error message ESP malfunction visit workshop

43af means front speed sensor message not yet displayed but soon to be a CEL code P2403 when pulled from obd2 code scanner

P2403 means left front wheel speed sensor

And last code was 9051

9051 is BCM consumer shutoff stage 1 what that means I'm still looking think it has to do with aux battier dying as far as I can see so I will have my indie pull the codes with his giant computer scanner NOT just an OBD2 code scanner it pulls the same codes as the Mercedes Benz star diagnostic scanner so I will see if all codes are still there

Thanks for any help
Stage 1 shut off means your main battery's voltage dropped below a certain point. There is a stage two with even more things that will shut down to prevent that your battery gets so low that you won't be able to start the engine. Steve one shuts down easy entry, radio and all other MOST devices connected on the fiber optic ring. Once you start they will all come back as soon as the main battery is charged again.

It has nothing to do with aux battery. This battery is there to make sure your SBC brake system has enough electrical power.

Aux battery cannot start your engine or cross charge your main battery as some people (still) believe.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 PM

w163
Hi Mackhack,

I am also in San Diego. I just got a message on my w211 about "Brake - Visit Workshop."

I saw that you have star diag and I was wondering if you I could pay you to read the code for me?
Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zuffenhausen
Hi Mackhack,

I am also in San Diego. I just got a message on my w211 about "Brake - Visit Workshop."

I saw that you have star diag and I was wondering if you I could pay you to read the code for me?
Absolutely. My inbox is full. Wait until tonight when I clear it and we can set up something.

Or go on my website and send me a message through "contact me".
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM

w163
Mackhack's service is awesome. My car has some new functionality and I now know what my brake problem is. 100% recommended!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500
replacing brake light switch didn't fix the problem

Originally Posted by jeffsnavely
Total time was 9 minutes! Malfunction message gone!
Not for me. I replaced the brake light switch in my 2004 e500 but the "Brake - Visit Workshop" message remained. And I already replaced the SBC in 2005 during the recall.

What else could be causing the message to appear?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by kenchen
Not for me. I replaced the brake light switch in my 2004 e500 but the "Brake - Visit Workshop" message remained. And I already replaced the SBC in 2005 during the recall.

What else could be causing the message to appear?

Thanks,
Ken
I just went through this...

My issue was the accumulator (round "ball") attached to the SBC pump. Diaphragm inside was bad. Dealer would not warranty this item. Had replaced at independent and all is well. The part is #20 in attached diagram. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
diagram.pdf (97.1 KB, 460 views)
Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500
Originally Posted by timannnn
I just went through this...

My issue was the accumulator (round "ball") attached to the SBC pump. Diaphragm inside was bad. Dealer would not warranty this item. Had replaced at independent and all is well. The part is #20 in attached diagram. Good luck.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. How did you know it was the accumulator? Did your car tell the independent's computer what the problem was? What was the cost to replace this?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by kenchen
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. How did you know it was the accumulator? Did your car tell the independent's computer what the problem was? What was the cost to replace this?

Thanks,
Ken
The independent shop I took it to was able to test and confirm. Cost to replace was $450. $350 for part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY