Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by walter34payton2
Please don't compare Genesis to MB.

Why not? They are both machines!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 Sport
I grew up in a MB household (75 280s 76 280E 87 300SEL) and we moved away from the brand due to bad experiences with the 1987 model. My point? Your perception of brand is very influenced by personal experience and prevailing media coverage.

MB used to stand for ultimate reliability and luxury and then it became just luxury. The reliability part will come back over time if the cars perform.

Hyundai used to stand for garbage and has made real inroads in the US car market. Their push into luxury reminds me of Toyota and Lexus. Time will tell if they're successful. I do think they need a second brand maybe LBC (Lexus but cheaper)

I think in 5-10 years Lexus, MB and Hyundai luxury cars will try to occupy the same space.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by werewolf34
I grew up in a MB household (75 280s 76 280E 87 300SEL) and we moved away from the brand due to bad experiences with the 1987 model. My point? Your perception of brand is very influenced by personal experience and prevailing media coverage.

MB used to stand for ultimate reliability and luxury and then it became just luxury. The reliability part will come back over time if the cars perform.

Hyundai used to stand for garbage and has made real inroads in the US car market. Their push into luxury reminds me of Toyota and Lexus. Time will tell if they're successful. I do think they need a second brand maybe LBC (Lexus but cheaper)

I think in 5-10 years Lexus, MB and Hyundai luxury cars will try to occupy the same space.
I think you are right. But if MB can't get reliability ASAP they will go the way of the buggy whip in todays market. Reliability MUST be part of the package. I know my E500 has been extremely poor on reliability and is running a tie with my 1966 Ford Custom 500.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
It's interesting how Hyundai became a threat to Toyota and Honda a few short years ago and now people are cross shopping it with Mercedes. I think they did a great job with the Genesis.

Here in SoCal, when I pull into the mall in Newport Beach, I wonder if reliability matters to Mercedes owners? The mall parking lot looks like a Mercedes dealership. I feel like brand is most important and reliability not so much because most of those owners will trade in before warranty expires to have the next greatest and latest Mercedes.

I care about reliability and like to own cars until the wheels fall off. I'm hoping my first Mercedes will last as long as my Honda/Acura vehicles previously. Give me 10 years and 200K miles. That's my measuring stick.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by sunnySD
It's interesting how Hyundai became a threat to Toyota and Honda a few short years ago and now people are cross shopping it with Mercedes. I think they did a great job with the Genesis.

Here in SoCal, when I pull into the mall in Newport Beach, I wonder if reliability matters to Mercedes owners? The mall parking lot looks like a Mercedes dealership. I feel like brand is most important and reliability not so much because most of those owners will trade in before warranty expires to have the next greatest and latest Mercedes.

I care about reliability and like to own cars until the wheels fall off. I'm hoping my first Mercedes will last as long as my Honda/Acura vehicles previously. Give me 10 years and 200K miles. That's my measuring stick.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
"If you build it they will come!"
Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I'm sure Hyundai will try, but...

...they are up against a few things..they have a brand name that just sounds wrong for a luxury name plate; their showroom shares space with cheaply-built econo cars; their symbol is on their steering wheel and it just looks cheap and tacky - you look at that every time you drive the car and it just leaves a bad impression; Hyundai is trying to be Lexus for $10,000 less, the problem is they are also competing with a 2-year old Certified Lexus at the same price and they simply are not as good as that used Lexus.

I test drove a Hyundai Genesis V6 this summer. It was not a bad car, certainly, comparable to an Avalon in my opinion. In terms of ride it was inferior, by a lot, to our 1992 LS400.

Hyundai is a serious challenge to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and the American mid-priced brands, but not to the high dollar stuff.

- GRL

Originally Posted by werewolf34