Hyundai Genesis a pleasant surprise for E owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Hyundai Genesis a pleasant surprise for E owner

I do shopping for a replacement my old E class. I do not restrict myself to Mercedes only, so I’m checking Infiniti, Audi, Audio, BMW. Most dealers are ready to negotiate invoice or below price. However my Mercedes was strict on sticker price for 08 model. I wasn’t invited to test drive or look in selection of available cars in lot, although deal has 15 remaining. Say more, I waited about 10 minutes when some sales person was available to give me E class brochure. They were out of 08 edition so I should take 09 one. I could check only a car in show room. I really wasn’t impressed. It looks like E class lost luxury feel. Somebody compared it even to Camry. No leather offered as standard, interior looks really cheap, steering wheels buttons have rubbish feel. No rest place for right elbow. So I decided to do not proceed with Mercedes. As for fun I decided to check what less experienced car makers can offer and visited Hyundai today. As only I parked at dealership I was met by sales who immediately offered me to visit dealers lot and see what they have. Genesis looks really good in and out. It doesn’t feel cheap inside, very comfortable, nice ergonomics. Trunk is huge. Test drive was very simplified, I wasn’t asked for driver license copy and I didn’t need to have a dealer in car. So I could drive Genesis alone. I was really surprised, 3.2 liter version performs reasonable well, no acceleration gap of Mercedes, and handling is quite comparable. Although the car is hot, a dealer was ready to negotiate price below sticker. Genesis has one problem, it is really funny brochure, no options details, not color selections, no options details. Will I buy Genesis? Hard decision, does it equal my time on visit a dealer for repair of Genesis and $25, 000 less cost?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Dema
I do shopping for a replacement my old E class. I do not restrict myself to Mercedes only, so I’m checking Infiniti, Audi, Audio, BMW. Most dealers are ready to negotiate invoice or below price. However my Mercedes was strict on sticker price for 08 model. I wasn’t invited to test drive or look in selection of available cars in lot, although deal has 15 remaining. Say more, I waited about 10 minutes when some sales person was available to give me E class brochure. They were out of 08 edition so I should take 09 one. I could check only a car in show room. I really wasn’t impressed. It looks like E class lost luxury feel. Somebody compared it even to Camry. No leather offered as standard, interior looks really cheap, steering wheels buttons have rubbish feel. No rest place for right elbow. So I decided to do not proceed with Mercedes. As for fun I decided to check what less experienced car makers can offer and visited Hyundai today. As only I parked at dealership I was met by sales who immediately offered me to visit dealers lot and see what they have. Genesis looks really good in and out. It doesn’t feel cheap inside, very comfortable, nice ergonomics. Trunk is huge. Test drive was very simplified, I wasn’t asked for driver license copy and I didn’t need to have a dealer in car. So I could drive Genesis alone. I was really surprised, 3.2 liter version performs reasonable well, no acceleration gap of Mercedes, and handling is quite comparable. Although the car is hot, a dealer was ready to negotiate price below sticker. Genesis has one problem, it is really funny brochure, no options details, not color selections, no options details. Will I buy Genesis? Hard decision, does it equal my time on visit a dealer for repair of Genesis and $25, 000 less cost?
Pretty good analysis of your service. Service is one of the most important parts of the sale. Since you never were really given the opportunity to test drive the MB it sounds like the dealer lost a customer. I agree though on checking other brands for replacement of the MB. It is about function, reliability and service. All 3 must be in place. My experience has been great on function and service but reliability is in the on our MB. I have only owned 1 car in the last 40 years that had worse reliability, but I only paid 12,000 for it.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You will get what you pay for!! I guess the safety/engineering factors mean nothing to you as does the fact that you will see yourself coming and going every mile you drive. No one ever said that MB's were inexpensive to maintain nor did they say that every dealer treated you correctly but their product is relatively excellent when compared to others and what you are looking at is no contest no where near the same price point.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Buy a Hyundai .. way too many MBs on the road as it is.

Where in Calif are you? Sticker for an 08 what? E-Class? thats a joke ..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 M3, 05 R1
sorry to hear your bad experience at your MB dealership. i must agree that buying a car starts from which dealership you go to.

Eclass must be selling like hot cakes in Cali because I just picked one up on Saturday myself (08, E350, 4matic...) at a great deal because it was an 08.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
I admire you for looking at “other” makes and posting the experience here.
And, am also happy that, so far at least, you weren’t flamed for it.

I continually WANT to hear of ALL E-class comparative experiences with
VARIOUS cars and dealerships. Many here are 100% MB people, believing
that MB cars are perfect. And, that anyone who cites a hint of negativism is
out of line and shouldn’t post here. The degree of owner loyalty, of course,
is each person’s right.

I also belong to a couple of Corvette forums (since I also have a vette) and
some there get mad if anyone criticizes a vette. (Altho I LOVE my C6.) But,
my argument has always been that I didn’t MAKE these vehicles so you’re
not insulting me personally when you tell YOUR bad experiences. I want to
hear about them! YOUR experiences can be VALUABLE to ME!

And, I especially want to hear of other car comparisons! That’s valuable
because - like most of you - I can’t drive EVERY car made to personally
compare.

So, thanks again for your report. I hope more such reports appear. As much
as it might infuriate some who would think it ridiculous, I’d like to hear
some honest reports comparing the E-350 to the newest Camry. Including an
electronics comparison.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM

2003 W211
Originally Posted by jimm
I admire you for looking at “other” makes and posting the experience here.
And, am also happy that, so far at least, you weren’t flamed for it.

I continually WANT to hear of ALL E-class comparative experiences with
VARIOUS cars and dealerships. Many here are 100% MB people, believing
that MB cars are perfect. And, that anyone who cites a hint of negativism is
out of line and shouldn’t post here. The degree of owner loyalty, of course,
is each person’s right.

I also belong to a couple of Corvette forums (since I also have a vette) and
some there get mad if anyone criticizes a vette. (Altho I LOVE my C6.) But,
my argument has always been that I didn’t MAKE these vehicles so you’re
not insulting me personally when you tell YOUR bad experiences. I want to
hear about them! YOUR experiences can be VALUABLE to ME!

And, I especially want to hear of other car comparisons! That’s valuable
because - like most of you - I can’t drive EVERY car made to personally
compare.

So, thanks again for your report. I hope more such reports appear. As much
as it might infuriate some who would think it ridiculous, I’d like to hear
some honest reports comparing the E-350 to the newest Camry. Including an
electronics comparison.
+1... I couldn't have said it better!!!! And to the OP, if you decide to go with the Genesis, please post your reviews as I'd love to read them... Sure, I enjoy my W211 but in no way do I put it on a pedestal beyond criticism/comparison...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
I owned the first Santa Fe (1st Generation) that came to Florida (and one of the first in the country). That SUV was the one that started the Hyundai "revolution."

I have nothing but GREAT things to say about the SUV and the service I received. At the time, Santa Fe was the top of the line Hyundai and SF owners were treated like royalty at the dealership. I would imagine Genesis owners are going to have similar experiences.

Hyundai is re-defining it's brand. I can assure you that the ownership experience is going to carry onto the Service Department.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by baxterdown
I have nothing but GREAT things to say about the SUV and the service I received.
I bought my youngest a ’07 Santa Fe, her choice. I was surprised at the quality inside and out. Furthermore, to date absolutely no problems, service has been excellent (requested several optional convenience software updates), direct free access to service website inclusive of up to date manufacturer bulletin releases, purchased at below invoice and dealership refunded an additional $2500 even though associated promotion began 30 days after sale.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I bought my youngest a ’07 Santa Fe, her choice. I was surprised at the quality inside and out. Furthermore, to date absolutely no problems, service has been excellent (requested several optional convenience software updates), direct free access to service website inclusive of up to date manufacturer bulletin releases, purchased at below invoice and dealership refunded an additional $2500 even though associated promotion began 30 days after sale.
Now thats what I call a smoking good deal and amazing service.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 AM

2007 A8L 4.2
We were about to buy a Veracruz for the wife when we sold the minivan, but with gas prices and really no need for that much space, we went with a G35 (which she absolutely adores).

We looked hard at all the SUVs out there and could not find anything close to it in price and features. The warranty offered by the manufacturer is bulletproof and the service we received at the dealership was top notch.

Hyundai is on its way to kick Honda's Nissan's and Toyota's butt, and if you dont think so, take a look at the few brands that has not been loosing market share in the past 5 years!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
hyundai is comin up the ladder, can't wait to hear about the test drives of the genesis coupe
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec; 1991 350SDL
Genesis is a great car, but.....

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is a great deal - I bought a 2006 Hyundai Azera. Great car, fully loaded, with all options. Stickered at just over $32K. I drove the car two years and 9 months, just about the time the Genesis came out. I waited a few months for the 'new' to wear off, knowing that they would press for full sticker price.

I walked into the dealership - my car had 27,000 miles on it, not a scratch anywhere, all service records - all it would have needed was a wash and maybe a detail to go on the lot for a quick sale. I had checkbook in hand, prepared to buy a $42K Hyundai Genesis V8. I was serious.

I'd always been treated reasonably well at the dealership; I got what I considered a fair deal on the car when I purchased it, but I was shocked to find out that, on a trade in for their flagship car, a car not even 3 years old in perfect condition was worth only $11K on a trade-in. Their sales manager then further insulted my intelligence by telling me it was only worth $8K wholesale. At that point, I informed the sales manager and my salesman (the one I'd purchased the Azera from), that if their products don't hold value any better than that, I had no business buying one. That happened on Sunday. Monday night, I drove home in a 2007 E320 Bluetec. I've owned two Mercedes prior to the Azera; I drove the Genesis and it was a very nice, well-made automobile, but for a product with that level of depreciation, I'll put my money somewhere else.

I'm not a snob - I appreciate safety, value and reliability over brand. But I will say this (and I mean no offense to anyone - I really liked the Azera and it gave excellent service). No matter what name they give it, it will still carry the stigma of Hyundai. They have not yet managed to overcome their very poor US record from the past, although their products are much improved - on par with Honda & Toyota, and with a much better warranty and price point.

I just don't want anyone to be surprised when/if they go back to the dealership to trade up.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM

1987 190E 2.3-16V
Originally Posted by yeahrightnc
Don't fool yourself into thinking it is a great deal - I bought a 2006 Hyundai Azera. Great car, fully loaded, with all options. Stickered at just over $32K. I drove the car two years and 9 months, just about the time the Genesis came out. I waited a few months for the 'new' to wear off, knowing that they would press for full sticker price.

I walked into the dealership - my car had 27,000 miles on it, not a scratch anywhere, all service records - all it would have needed was a wash and maybe a detail to go on the lot for a quick sale. I had checkbook in hand, prepared to buy a $42K Hyundai Genesis V8. I was serious.

I'd always been treated reasonably well at the dealership; I got what I considered a fair deal on the car when I purchased it, but I was shocked to find out that, on a trade in for their flagship car, a car not even 3 years old in perfect condition was worth only $11K on a trade-in. Their sales manager then further insulted my intelligence by telling me it was only worth $8K wholesale. At that point, I informed the sales manager and my salesman (the one I'd purchased the Azera from), that if their products don't hold value any better than that, I had no business buying one. That happened on Sunday. Monday night, I drove home in a 2007 E320 Bluetec. I've owned two Mercedes prior to the Azera; I drove the Genesis and it was a very nice, well-made automobile, but for a product with that level of depreciation, I'll put my money somewhere else.

I'm not a snob - I appreciate safety, value and reliability over brand. But I will say this (and I mean no offense to anyone - I really liked the Azera and it gave excellent service). No matter what name they give it, it will still carry the stigma of Hyundai. They have not yet managed to overcome their very poor US record from the past, although their products are much improved - on par with Honda & Toyota, and with a much better warranty and price point.

I just don't want anyone to be surprised when/if they go back to the dealership to trade up.
Point well taken. Although the E class also loses half its price in three years, not as bad as giving you $8K for a $32K car.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM

2005 C55
All new cars will lose alot of value the first 3 years. I have been looking at certified pre owned suv's lately and As fas a luxury cars Lexus has 3 yr 100k warranty starting the day you buy it, mb only has a 1 year 100k add on to the original warranty.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM

E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
I also looked at the Genesis before buying the 500 - I must say it's a nice car - but it's an imitation - they copied the MB as much as they could and if you do look closely you'll see it's not finished like the Mercedes - The fit and finish is excellent - but there is a difference in components and in the overall drive feel of this car vs a MB -

If you do nothing more than drive 55 or 60 on freeways and sit in traffic, then what the hell go for it if you want it - If you are want a car that has overall performance and handling as well as years of engineering and attention to detail then it's no contest -

A copy of a Renior is not a Renior - easy to make look a likes I submit however they aren't the same even though they are pretty darn nice cars -

Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I also thought about the Genesis.

Our E500 has had only a few problems. SBC total failure, Air springs failed,Air compressor failed,ignition key,door locks,interior trim cracked,a/c, and a few others I forgotten. Coupled this with 3 sets of brakes it hasn't been fun and now I am waiting for the radiator to fail and wipe out the transmission.

I have owned a lot of cars since 1958 and I judge quality by MTBF (Mean time between failure) and MTTR (Mean time to repair). Both are way out of line on the E500. I bought a Lincoln town car in 2000 and it has yet to have a failure at 85000 miles where the E500 has lived in the shop.

SO I have to consider our next vehicle about 2 years out purchase.

I am looking at E series (but you guys have to convince me quality is there), Genesis, Avalon,Lincoln S series (which is really nice inside don't know about the outside as I sit inside ), Passat, Achord, Lexus?

SO I am really being open on the next purchase. For the E500 being around $70 G's I expect reliablity. For those that say it should cost more to repair I would ask WHY?. Labor at MB is $110/hr. Why is my car there so often?

I can affort to pay for repairs but they should be few in number. Take a look at the number of E series transmission failures due to glycol contamination. Why does this happen. Why does the SBC brakes fail and leave you on the road side? Why do the a springs collaps when you leave it at the airport and return and can't drive it. I just don't view these things as quality. At one time I was considering a new S500 but now I just don't trust MB quality so I have to consider all the other brands and be objective about the shopping. Resale, a friend of mine bought a new S500 when I bought our E500. After 2 years he went back to the same dealer to trade for a new S500. They offered him ~$25000 for a 30 month old S500. Even MB falls quickly in resale value. I don't mind the drop in resale because I normally drive 150000 miles before trading. But I do EXPECT reliability. So I too am interested in what others have to say about the quality/reliability of their MB's and other cars. If the new MB are reliable I will consider one but if not,, because I have had enough trouble driving 200 miles to the dealer for every failure.

Notice I didn't include GM. Guess I just don't trust them yet as they haven't built a reputation on customer service yet and this might just be the dealers in my area.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Notice I didn't include GM. Guess I just don't trust them yet as they haven't built a reputation on customer service yet and this might just be the dealers in my area
Given the latest news stories, there might not be a GM dealership to go to...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by ruffrob
Given the latest news stories, there might not be a GM dealership to go to...
Correct.

I have also owned a Cadillac Eldorado and the quality there was not up to MB quality or reliability. And I don't want an Impala
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
You know I was serious comtemplating getting a CTS ,until I saw the inside of a buddy's car in Rahway ,NJ. I thought it was small ,although very sporty,but really not for me since I'm six feet tall and the seat would have to be put all the way back. I do that now,but of course my E3 is a bigger car.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by ruffrob
You know I was serious comtemplating getting a CTS ,until I saw the inside of a buddy's car in Rahway ,NJ. I thought it was small ,although very sporty,but really not for me since I'm six feet tall and the seat would have to be put all the way back. I do that now,but of course my E3 is a bigger car.
I also looked at it but gave up on Cadillacs for Size , price and quality.

Maybe that's why GM has issues since it is the flagship of GM
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM

i agree with the comment about mb's interiors. They really downgraded alot
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM

E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
I think you should buy one -

Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Honestly if I needed another 4 door I'd give the CTS-V consideration once GM's situation becomes more settled.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I also thought about the Genesis.

Our E500 has had only a few problems. SBC total failure, Air springs failed,Air compressor failed,ignition key,door locks,interior trim cracked,a/c, and a few others I forgotten. Coupled this with 3 sets of brakes it hasn't been fun and now I am waiting for the radiator to fail and wipe out the transmission.

I have owned a lot of cars since 1958 and I judge quality by MTBF (Mean time between failure) and MTTR (Mean time to repair). Both are way out of line on the E500. I bought a Lincoln town car in 2000 and it has yet to have a failure at 85000 miles where the E500 has lived in the shop.

SO I have to consider our next vehicle about 2 years out purchase.

I am looking at E series (but you guys have to convince me quality is there), Genesis, Avalon,Lincoln S series (which is really nice inside don't know about the outside as I sit inside ), Passat, Achord, Lexus?

SO I am really being open on the next purchase. For the E500 being around $70 G's I expect reliablity. For those that say it should cost more to repair I would ask WHY?. Labor at MB is $110/hr. Why is my car there so often?

I can affort to pay for repairs but they should be few in number. Take a look at the number of E series transmission failures due to glycol contamination. Why does this happen. Why does the SBC brakes fail and leave you on the road side? Why do the a springs collaps when you leave it at the airport and return and can't drive it. I just don't view these things as quality. At one time I was considering a new S500 but now I just don't trust MB quality so I have to consider all the other brands and be objective about the shopping. Resale, a friend of mine bought a new S500 when I bought our E500. After 2 years he went back to the same dealer to trade for a new S500. They offered him ~$25000 for a 30 month old S500. Even MB falls quickly in resale value. I don't mind the drop in resale because I normally drive 150000 miles before trading. But I do EXPECT reliability. So I too am interested in what others have to say about the quality/reliability of their MB's and other cars. If the new MB are reliable I will consider one but if not,, because I have had enough trouble driving 200 miles to the dealer for every failure.

Notice I didn't include GM. Guess I just don't trust them yet as they haven't built a reputation on customer service yet and this might just be the dealers in my area.
Based on this forum, the '03's seem to have problems. Tranny, suspension, etc..

Vettdvr, pay closer attention to all the E550 owners, and see how they are faring. (I"m sure you won't go to a V6 after owning the E500). My used '05 E500 is a gem so far for the past 2 years. There's nothing like a MB V8, and the E550 is just an amazing motor....

If you are not satisfied with what you read, then I'd go with Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura. Not to mention BMW's amazing maint. FREE service for 4 yrs. offering.

Both my 20 yr. old Supras are modified, and rock solid. My '02 6spd. Maxima has been trouble free from day one of ownership 7 yrs. ago. They are not MB's for sure, but they also don't suffer from MB issues...

From my readings here, the Glycol issue was fixed after 9/03 cars. The airmatics have also been improved over time. But I understand your concern, having total SBC failure would have probably made me ditch the b$$ch immediately. (I understand the backup is that the car brakes normally for a few pumps????)

My used '05 E500 has been trouble free for the past 2 yrs, but the minute she gives unusual probs with only 38K on her, I'm dumping her. I can't stand unreliable cars.

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis a pleasant surprise for E owner