E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need your opinion on hidden EZ Pass idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Need your opinion on hidden EZ Pass idea

I'd like to get rid of the white EZ Pass transponder that's on my windshield, and replace it with a black external mount version. You know, the kind that is meant to be screwed on to your front license plate. I'd like to be more discreet, however, so I thought I'd mount it behind the small plastic lower grill between the driver's side fog light and the license plate (the area shown in the attached photo).

If you lift the hood, you can easily reach behind that lower grill, so I thought I'd just attach it to the backside of the plastic grill with small black cable ties -- no screws required.

Do you think the transponder could be read from that location?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Need your opinion on hidden EZ Pass idea-img_3179.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Its a dark car with a black license plate frame... mounting it on the plate won't be so obvious. Who knows if it could be read where you want to put it, and it might be able to be read by the slow speed readers but not by the high speed readers and you wouldn't want to find out at a bridge or tunnel toll booth would you?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its a dark car with a black license plate frame... mounting it on the plate won't be so obvious. Who knows if it could be read where you want to put it, and it might be able to be read by the slow speed readers but not by the high speed readers and you wouldn't want to find out at a bridge or tunnel toll booth would you?
Even if I wanted to mount it on the plate, I don't think I could because of the "bend" in the middle of the license plate mounting bracket (and hence the license plate itself). Where I'm thinking of mounting it is only a little bit lower (but certainly further back) than the screw holes on the bottom of the plate.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
zip tie it to the grill or something just inside the hood... you should be ok, people will think you have a radar jammer
Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
I tucked mine behind my state inspection sticker. Done deal...
Old 08-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Oggie,
Stop at a car-parts store (like Strauss') and look around for one of those nylon canvas pouches with the suction cups. Then you really wont see it from the front.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 AM
CT3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC200
I literally just moved my fastlane transmitter a few days ago, its on the lower grill of my car as well, mounted with a similar apparatus... works totally fine with all cameras/detectors...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
I'm not sure how big your transponder is, but the one in CA is about 5" x 5". I just store it in my arm rest, and hold it up to the windshield if I pass a toll plaza. Then back in storage it goes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by CT3
I literally just moved my fastlane transmitter a few days ago, its on the lower grill of my car as well, mounted with a similar apparatus... works totally fine with all cameras/detectors...
Yes, that's what I want to do. Is yours in front of the plastic grill or behind?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
CT3

LC200
its behind the grill, completely concealed and out of the way
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by CT3
its behind the grill, completely concealed and out of the way
Cool. One more question -- do I need to mount it facing forward the way it would be if it were on the license plate? (This would be a little awkward, but doable).
Old 08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
CT3

LC200
I really don't think it matters which way it's facing, I can check on my car when I get home in 2 days, but I'm 90% sure it makes no difference... Good luck I hope it all works out!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM

'12 ML350
This is definitely a topic of interest as I found out another problem with the front plate mounted EZPass transponder on the 'updated' front bumper with the bend when I picked up my car: the front Parktronic sensor detected the object and was triggering the warning lights and alarm.

I didn't believe the dealer so tried both upper and lower plate mounts and it found them all; then I took it off and all was well!

So if you can mount the transponder behind the lower grille then that'd be the solution!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by rkao
This is definitely a topic of interest as I found out another problem with the front plate mounted EZPass transponder on the 'updated' front bumper with the bend when I picked up my car: the front Parktronic sensor detected the object and was triggering the warning lights and alarm.

I didn't believe the dealer so tried both upper and lower plate mounts and it found them all; then I took it off and all was well!

So if you can mount the transponder behind the lower grille then that'd be the solution!
I'm not sure this is going to be a solution for you. The Parktronic seems to be picking up a signal that's transmitted by the EZ Pass transponder when it's located near the Parktronic sensors. Mounting it behind the lower plastic grill may have the same effect. My car is a wagon, which is not available with front or rear Parktronic in the US for some strange reason, so that won't be an issue. Try it there and let us know.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Oggie, the parktronic wasn't picking up the frequency being given off by the EZ-pass but rather the fact that the EZ-pass sticks out too far and the parktronic "sees" it.

Also why are you so against the glass mount? I used to put mine behind the rear view mirror on the passengers side so I couldn't see it while driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Kar don
Oggie, the parktronic wasn't picking up the frequency being given off by the EZ-pass but rather the fact that the EZ-pass sticks out too far and the parktronic "sees" it.

Also why are you so against the glass mount? I used to put mine behind the rear view mirror on the passengers side so I couldn't see it while driving.
Oh, then you should be okay with mounting it behind the plastic grill. I'm not crazy about the mirror location either because you can still see it from outside the car (I suppose I could paint it black and stick it there). I have enough stickers on the windshield as it is, so I'm looking to clean up that space. I removed my white "Mercedes" sticker recently as well.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:22 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by CT3
Well, I did that. I got an exterior (black) EZ Pass transponder and tied it with zip ties to the back of the small lower plastic grill in the front bumper, with the front of the transponder facing forward, the way it would be if it were mounted on top of the front license plate. The first toll booth I got to, did NOT read my EZ Pass. Luckily, I had the small white transponder inside the glove compartment, and I took that out, waved it at the reader and got through.

It seems the lower grill is too low and/or too recessed for the transponder to be readable. Now, I'm back to using the white interior transponder mounted at the top of the windshield.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Glad somebody brought this up...

My car suffers from the 'no-front-plate' syndrome so the license plate mount EZ-Pass won't cut it. It also does not work through the windows so you have to stick it out the sunroof every time you hit one of the toll booths.

My idea was to mount it on the DISTRONIC brackets right behind the grill.

I have not been through a toll booth yet so I don't know if it works or not.. but I will let you know soon!

Here it is:

Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
P.S. Oggie - I see you're from Long Island?

How come you've never come out to any of our meets and gatherings and BBQ's and hang outs and tune outs and what not?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Oxygen
My idea was to mount it on the DISTRONIC brackets right behind the grill.

I have not been through a toll booth yet so I don't know if it works or not.. but I will let you know soon!
Good thinking. That was my second choice for a hidden mounting location. I have a feeling that the chrome on the grill will cause the EZ Pass transponder not to be read in that location. But, please let us know if it works the next time you go through a toll booth.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon

How come you've never come out to any of our meets and gatherings and BBQ's and hang outs and tune outs and what not?
I hadn't heard about these. Please post on this board the next time there's a meet.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

Where & when & how often?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Where & when & how often?
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I hadn't heard about these. Please post on this board the next time there's a meet.
Well there have been many, many events this past summer all around the area, I try to attend as many as possible.

But, before the weather turns too cold, you guys have to come to the weekly Thursday Night Meets at the Best Buy in Westbury.

See this thread for all the details:
https://mbworld.org/forums/events-gatherings/263412-westbury-best-buy-thursday-nights-long-island.html

Let me know if you guys want to come out tomorrow... I always bring our mobile STAR DIAG unit with me.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I'd like to get rid of the white EZ Pass transponder that's on my windshield, and replace it with a black external mount version. You know, the kind that is meant to be screwed on to your front license plate. I'd like to be more discreet, however, so I thought I'd mount it behind the small plastic lower grill between the driver's side fog light and the license plate (the area shown in the attached photo).

If you lift the hood, you can easily reach behind that lower grill, so I thought I'd just attach it to the backside of the plastic grill with small black cable ties -- no screws required.

Do you think the transponder could be read from that location?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
try the induction cowl on the top of the hood (and on the right side) i have mounted the i-pass that we have here in IL and it works from that location. grill mounting works as well but you have to mount the pass literally directly behind the grille.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
If there is any Metal surface between the EZPass and the line of sight of the Toll Booth sensors it will not work. It looks like the Distronic location maybe too far underneath the hood to work correctly. Like Midcity said it would have to be right on the grill basically so the Hood would not be in the line of sight. Shoot, sometimes it doesn't even pick up the windshield mounted EZpass.