E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer is offering to re-paint my door....Kinda scared, should I do it??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:07 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Dealer is offering to re-paint my door....Kinda scared, should I do it??

When I purchased my car, there was (is) a scratch on the passenger door, which the Dealer said they'd touch up, and if I wasn't pleased with the outcome, completely re-paint.

It's small, but completely deep, you can't really notice it unless you look for it, but it spans quite long and goes right to the bone (although there's touch up on it now).

I've been trying to make myself keep it and keep the "original" paint, but it's just eating away at me and I think I want to re-paint it.

My questions are, they DO use the original M-B Nano paint right? Also, I've seen good paint jobs match perfectly, and want to make sure that with M-B's, this isn't any different, i.e they're not harder to get to factory specs.

What would you guys do? Is it so important to keep the original factory paint job or just screw it and get it re-done perfectly?

Last edited by K-A; 08-12-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Nano clear coat can only be applied at the factory. I had panels painted at various times at the body shop on my '04. If its a good body shop, you won't be able to tell the difference. Someone with a paint thickness detector will know the panel was repainted due to the difference in the paint thickness on the door.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ahh crap, really? Damn, that's making me wonder if I should do it now. I'd hate to lose the Nano effect, especially since they say it ages better and doesn't show swirls as much, would there be a possibility in due time the different paint would become more noticable?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Originally Posted by K-A
Ahh crap, really? Damn, that's making me wonder if I should do it now. I'd hate to lose the Nano effect, especially since they say it ages better and doesn't show swirls as much, would there be a possibility in due time the different paint would become more noticable?
I don't think a well done paint job will turn bad because of disparate effects of washnig. How "noticeable" is the scratch they attempted to touch up now, I'm sure that looks worse than anything the repainted panel could ever be? In the end, go for the option that gives you the most peace of mind.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by topspin4hand
How "noticeable" is the scratch they attempted to touch up now? I'm sure that looks worse than anything the repainted panel could ever be... In the end, go for the option that gives you the most peace of mind.
Agree 100% with the above. Cars with repainted panels are all over the place. A crappy body shop doing the job with cheap paint will be noticeable. An MB dealer will be sure the job is done the best way.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah I agree, that's why I'm thinking of going with it. I just remember reading somewhere that although M-B factory Nano isn't available, there is a "other type" of Nano that Body Shops can use.

I'll post Pics of the Scratch when I get back to L.A in a few days also.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by K-A
...there is a "other type" of Nano that Body Shops can use.
"Clear Coat"
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The

dealer will use a high volume shop that they get great work out of and you will be happy with the results.Don't go through car washes and you won't have to worry about swirls and spider webbing.
ohlord
Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
I really dont think clearcoat durability will be an issue on a door, if it was the front bumper or hood then I would be concered. I would be worried about color match - make sure they blend into the rear door, roof, fender, etc.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by W Cole
I really dont think clearcoat durability will be an issue on a door, if it was the front bumper or hood then I would be concered. I would be worried about color match - make sure they blend into the rear door, roof, fender, etc.
Good point...they won't just paint the door, they do have to blend into the adjacent panels or it will be noticeable.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So I'm taking it in on Monday to try and get the surface scratches around the deep cut buffed again, if it doesn't look good then I'm just gonna go with it (new paint) I think.

What worries me is the first Service Tech I spoke to said the Body Shop is not certified as "they're hard to find in this area", and DID NOT know what Nano Paint even is, the second (head) guy I talked to said "it's all M-B Certified", blah blah, I don't know if he's BS'ing but I'm gonna ask a load of questions and get the Body Shops direct line to ask them questions if I decide to do it.

Also he did say they will blend it in with the other panels....I'm wondering why they can't just remove the paint from that little area and just re-paint it?? I told him the same thing and he said it just wouldn't look right.

I know it's not a big deal or ever going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but damn does it suck to LOSE out on having Nano Paint with all its hyped and "exclusive" glory on any area of the car IMO....Damned M-B for making these high tech things and making them unavailable or insanely high $$$$!!!!

Thanks for all the help again.

Last edited by K-A; 08-12-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM
rjm

Multiple
My dealer our-sources their body work. I had a silver E-Class scratched by the dealer on the lower side panel when it was in for service....about a foot long. They repainted it and did a lousy job. Then they re-painted it again and only did a fair job...it was very noticeable. The 3nd time they kept the car several weeks and when I got it back it was perfect. You couldn't tell it had ever been touched. Everything depends on the quality of the shop you use. Most people will accept anything and will not demand perfection. For what you pay to have a Mercedes re-painted, you should demand perfection. Best of luck with it.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Correct me if I'm wrong,but I believe there is ASE certification for body shops,and the one I normally used (on my Acura,and 97 E320) has many certifications on a wall for the guys that work there when you enter the shop. Now while this isn't any type of guarantee, I was pleased with the work they did on the cars I mentioned..... The certifications I mentioned can be a gauge for who does your work. Good Luck with the paint job.

Last edited by ruffrob; 08-12-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks, yeah I am going to be VERY clear that I demand perfection as I *know* perfection is possible with the right work. I won't take the car back unless it looks absolutely perfect in my eyes. I really don't think that's asking too much, as people have immaculate jobs done everyday, and through a Dealer one shouldn't expect any less IMO.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
K-A

in L.A. you are in the heartland of good paint shops,before you take yourcar to the place the dealer wants to send it to ,ask to go see their work.Neat shop,good paint booth,quality work,it will all be on view.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
I have a similiar situation with my car. When I picked it up there were two huge chips in the driver's side door right along the edge and a deep scrape in the hood (looked like the porter pulled up the windshield wiper too hard and hit the hood). When I had the car in after 800 miles to have the right front shock replaced, they also managed to scrape my rim. I have an appointment Monday to take the car in to get all the paint fixed as well as the rim. I'm just like you-- won't take less than perfection and am very nervous about this work being done. The service manager told to me expect the car to be out for a least a week if they have to repaint the entire hood, which I'm hoping will not happen.

Let us all know how it goes with your car. I hope it turns out well.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ahh man that sucks, and thanks. I'm gonna keep you updated. I'm going to really try my best to get them to do whatever magic is possible in this universe to try and smooth out the deeper scrape and hopefully buff out the scratch marks again. But if not, I'm going to have to be as on it and picky as possible, I know how these guys work, "oh well it's a re-paint, it can't be completely perfect", I can just hear that coming out of their mouths if I get it back less than perfect....But it's not true, even (sadly) sacrificing Nano, perfect paint work and matching is very possible.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM

2006 350-E
I am interested in changing the color of my E-350 from black to grey. Has anyone changed their color and if so, what was the price range?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Personally I would never re-paint a brand new car. You'll never get the same results (ESPECIALLY considering the quality of M-B factory paint and application), you'll spend TONS of money for a quality job, and you'll lose TONS of re-sale value.

For a top-notch paint job expect to pay over $6-8K

You'd be better off just buying a new E with the color you'd like.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
K-A, ask the dealer if you can pick the shop. Then you can check out the work of high-end places like Avio Coach Craft (in West LA), etc.. (they do MB, Bentley, Porsche, Aston, Lambo, etc..)

Or if they balk, maybe try to cut a deal with the dealer like pay 20/80 or something....(?)

It's best to get an absolutely perfect job or it'll bother you for the rest of the time you own the car.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the info 220S. Actually fortunately this Thread is an oldie that seems to have been dug up, so it's already said and done. I have to admit, I was completely surprised at how flawless a job the shop they used did, it looks absolutely OEM, I've looked at it from so many angles and it's impossible to tell anything's different.

ONLY thing that was negative about the experience is I took the car to the wash a week after (one and only time I've taken this car to a car wash, I was just super lazy that day) and it came out looking like the car had been washed with sandpaper, just streaks EVERYWHERE. My heart sank when I looked at it, when I took it back they informed me that the car had overspray EVERYWHERE, which is why it streaked like that. So they did a major polish job and got the streaks and overspray off and it looked like new again.

I never told the Dealer, although I did have to pay over $100 of Washing/Waxing/Polishing that day.