E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

406 multicontour seats - a waste of money, E500 pewter/ash initial impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
406 multicontour seats - a waste of money, E500 pewter/ash initial impression

Since I only put 60 miles on the car today (first day) I don't have much in the way of detailed commentary, but wanted to reiterate earlier comments on this forum that the 406 multicontour seats are just *not* worth the money.

During the walkthrough with the salesman I couldn't get much of a feel for the lumbar supports, and the fact that it doesn't have massage/pulse as documented in the brochures is just an added annoyance.

I like the pewter/ash - it works for me.

But don't waste your money on the 406 seats - go for active ventilated seats instead. I got E5 (heated seats/wheel) and the wheel is only heated between the spokes - ie it's heated in the same place where there's leather on the wood/leather wheel. Not exciting enough to justify the existence of the switch.

It was sleeting and snowing and raining in Connecticut/New York today, and the car felt fine - I put it in Winter transmission mode preemptively. The most interesting thing was how *QUIET* it was...I found myself wanting to get some audio feedback on the state of the roads and the amount of snow/ice/rain on the ground, so I ended up lowering the passenger rear window 1/4 inch to hear what was going on.

Harmon Kardon's great, the default settings in logic 7 and tone (bass-neutral, treble-neutral) still sounded a bit bass-heavy to me, so I rolled some back.

More as the weather clears.

Oh yeah - I also posted something about 48 miles on the car at delivery - tonight in the garage I noticed some minor curbing damage on the right rear alloy wheel, something I didn't notice in the walkaround. I expect I would have felt it if it was some rock or something in a pile of slush that did it, which adds to my annoyance about the mystery miles.

So the general manager of the dealer gets a call tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
DAMAGE EVEN

Dude, I already posted about the 48 miles but now I find out you have some curb damage - You need some serious answers man!! Good luck..
Old 01-04-2003, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Youir comments of #406 Multi-Contour Seats

Jposhea3, thanks for your comments on the multi-contour seats. Originally was contemplating on them, but eventually decided on the Dynamic LH/RH seats instead. Went for the Nappa leather interior too.

Ahhh, 56 days to go.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:37 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Angry

Jposhea3: Eat the manager alive, give them major crap and tell them your goin to tear them apart on the survey!

its funny you should mention the multi contour seats we used to have them on our old w210 and they were alright, i specifically liked the way the side bolsters increased lateral support when we needed it, as with bengolf weve taken it up a notch on the w211 and have ordered dynamic drive seats for both passenger and driver

Good luck Jposhea3
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 AM

W211 & Q7
406 multicontour seats are just *not* worth the money.

it depends how you drive the car. if you seldom drive car in a high speed then it really wastes your money.

try to maximum the treble and leave bass in the neutral and adjust fader to the rear seats -- especially, you have passengers in the rear seats. I think default central surround sound still focuses on the driver seat.

this is my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:36 PM

2000 audq a6
48 miles? It disgusts me.
I think maybe they used it as a demo a few times?
Find out when it arrived at the port then the dealer.
What dealer was it?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:46 PM

2003 E500
the car was shipped from the VPC around Xmas eve, 24 dec, and arrived at the dealer that friday. They figured it would be prepped on mon/tues, so I picked up on Friday.

Dunno if they were open on new year's day proper, but they were really busy with people in on the holidays for year-end stuff I know that.

I'd be surprised if they prepped the car and then let people demo it - too many footprints on an ash interior to hide. More likely it was an insider.

Either way I'm not happy.

My first stop is the sales manager, he's around but I left a voicemail describing the issue so he gets a feel for the non-social nature of the call

the dealer's in connecticut - let's see how they handle this.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:13 PM

2000 audq a6
hey---- bottom line-
u have an awesome car-
the rim MUST be fixed- as in BRAND new
then u have to let it go ...
get them to throw in the wood matching wheel (or something)
and begin enjoying your MACHINE-
u sound like me..................................

good luck - awesome car
Old 01-04-2003, 02:41 PM

VPC was closed all this week - this is what I was told - is that true? I'm really starting to wonder if anything I hear is true about my car being stuck there...
Old 01-04-2003, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Jposhea3, I hope you have the curb rash on your rim documented when you took delivery, otherwise, it will be your word against theirs.

Also, note what was the mileage written on your sales invoice and/or delivery receipt. Hope you had all these discrepancies written down by the salesperson during delivery.

Suggest you look into it first before giving them the ax.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
James ... I agree completely about the 406 Multi Contour seats...a waste of money. I was going for the pulse and would have ordered the drive dynamic seat but the brochure indicated that the 406 had it too. Bummer...really disappointed.

I would advise against the 406 seats...if you want to upgrade go with the drive dynamic.

Sorry you got stuck with them too. Glad to read on the other thread that you may have a resolution on the mileage problem.

Ed

ps..I just edited my profile to include the "worthless 406 multi-contour seats" :p

Last edited by etenn; 01-04-2003 at 07:53 PM.