E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Issue Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Issue Help!

Okay, I have a big problem, and wanted to get some feedback on how I should it should be handled. I replaced the brake pads on my car with low dust Akebono pads, however, several warning lights came on afterwards: ESP Warning, Brake Warning, Visit Workshop, ABS, etc. I replaced the sensors, and tried to reset the messages, but that didn't work. I took my car into the dealer on Friday, and was told that you have to shut off SBC before changing the pads (I admitted that I didn't). Now they're hinting that I will be charged for any work done to fix this issue, plus the cost of the SBC unit if replaced. The car is a '06 and it's still under warranty. They are going to call me on Monday after they talk to the regional tech?

My feeling is that this should be covered regardless of me changing the pads myself. What are your thoughts?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 735 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Okay, I have a big problem, and wanted to get some feedback on how I should it should be handled. I replaced the brake pads on my car with low dust Akebono pads, however, several warning lights came on afterwards: ESP Warning, Brake Warning, Visit Workshop, ABS, etc. I replaced the sensors, and tried to reset the messages, but that didn't work. I took my car into the dealer on Friday, and was told that you have to shut off SBC before changing the pads (I admitted that I didn't). Now they're hinting that I will be charged for any work done to fix this issue, plus the cost of the SBC unit if replaced. The car is a '06 and it's still under warranty. They are going to call me on Monday after they talk to the regional tech?

My feeling is that this should be covered regardless of me changing the pads myself. What are your thoughts?
There are far more experts than me on this board but from what I have read here, it is unlikely that you broke the sbc pump by not disconnecting it. The main reason for disconnecting it is so you don't get your fingers cut off when you replace the brakes. Did you drive the car there as in do the brakes work?

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-11-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
There are far more experts than me on this board but from what I have read here, it is unlikely that you broke the sbc pump by not disconnecting it. The main reason for disconnecting it is so you don't get your fingers cut off when you replace the brakes. Did you drive the car there as in do the brakes work?
I drove the car there, and thought it was just an issue where they need to reset the computer. That didn't work, and then they tried bleeding the brakes, which didn't work either. Now they are going to try and talk to the service advisor(?) on Monday to see if there's anything else they can do before trying a new SBC unit. I have the feeling that none of this is being covered under warranty.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 and 2008 BMW M5
Your feeling is correct. Plan to give part of your liver to mb. They will rob you left and right if they can.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
If you drove it there and the brakes worked ok then the sbc pump is working. If it wasn't you would know it. Do a search on the brake replacement posts here I'm sure others have run into this and it didn't require a replacment of the sbc pump. The better educated you the better position that you are going to be to prevent getting ripped off. And based on a purchase of an oil filter from the dealer they will rip you off if you give them the chance.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 10-12-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
If you drove it there and the brakes worked ok then the sbc pump is working. If it wasn't you would know it. Do a search on the brake replacement posts here I'm sure others have run into this and it didn't require a replacment of the sbc pump. The better educated you the better position that you are going to be to prevent getting ripped off. And based on a purchase of an oil filter from the dealer they will rip you off if you give them the chance.
Ok,, since you didn't disconnect or power down the sbc. This might be a long shot but this is what I would do. (this is based on you have installed new sensors and properly connected)

1) Follow the actual MB procedure to disable the SBC w/o the $$ startrek computer
2) After completing 1 disconnect the plug to the SBC unit.
3) Wait about 1 hr to allow all power on the SBC to dissipate. (this will probably happen in 1 minute or so but haven't measured this)
4) Connect the SBC unit
5) Depress brake pedal fully
6) Turn ignition on. ( this will energize the pump and force seat the pads)
7) Check for the warnings.
8) Repeat 6 and 7 about 3 times

Hope this helps. But before replacing the SBC pump I would certainly try this step. Also the way to damage the SBC pump is to push the pistons back into the caliper without opening the bleed screw. If you open the bleed screw when pushing the pistons back into the caliper it prevents forcing fluid back reverse flow to the SBC.

It is possible that some particles went into the SBC and affecting a check valve. Best of luck. SBC replacement (mine was total SBC failure replaced under warranty) was over $4000.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Just got a call from the service tech, and it's not covered. $2,500.

Most expensive brake job ever. ugh
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Just got a call from the service tech, and it's not covered. $2,500.

Most expensive brake job ever. ugh
What are they going to do for $2500? What got damaged and how?