To AMG Badge or not to AMG Badge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by W211AMG
I believe that its ok to have the badge as long as you have a few AMG goodies and most importantly, debadge the letter and numbers designating exactly what model it is

Good to see a Trini member on here. I was just there for Carnival....

Anyway, I saw probably 50 Benzes down there and every single one of them had an AMG badge, yet NONE of them were AMGs.

I think Trinidad is the World's leader in cheap, gaudy ebay type add-on mods (And Kentucky Fried Chickens). Every car down there, and I do mean EVERY car down there had a fart can, horrible peeling purple tint, hanging yellow fog lights, neon, chrome EVERYTHING, and hubcap spinners.

Horrible.

But welcome, my wife is from Port of Spain!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Spotted a very sad sight today in a Seattle garage.

Black W211. Badged as an E55 AMG

Clearly *NOT* an AMG. Wrong brakes, incorrect bumper, 17" wheels and incorrect exhaust tips.

Poser!

The only ones who recognize what the badge represents are the very ones who laugh at posers like this.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
.V.
Almost a Member!

2006 E420 490 CV
Mine is a E420 CDI boosted to 490 hp....

I do n ot need a AMG badge to kill them on the german motorway...

Wazzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by .V.
Mine is a E420 CDI boosted to 490 hp....

I do n ot need a AMG badge to kill them on the german motorway...

Wazzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaa
Yeah. There's no reason to advertise something that's real. It's only the fakes that depend on the logo. If I had an AMG, I'd debadge it first thing. Me knowing what's under the hood is all that matters. I don't care about anybody else knowing. Stealth is good
Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 AM
.V.
Almost a Member!

2006 E420 490 CV
Originally Posted by 220S
Yeah. There's no reason to advertise something that's real. It's only the fakes that depend on the logo. If I had an AMG, I'd debadge it first thing. Me knowing what's under the hood is all that matters. I don't care about anybody else knowing. Stealth is good
It's what I think too, I try to make it as standard as possible outside and as powerfull inside. M3, M5, AMG, Porsche ... can not even imagine how a untaged CDI can kill them with a incredible stroke.

For the corvette, it's different, when they see it, they turn crazy and want to kill it... Even a Lamborghini or Porshe GT2 can not make it.. 342 Km/h is my record with this car.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM

2006 E200 Kompressor, 2004 C180 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Good to see a Trini member on here. I was just there for Carnival....

Anyway, I saw probably 50 Benzes down there and every single one of them had an AMG badge, yet NONE of them were AMGs.

I think Trinidad is the World's leader in cheap, gaudy ebay type add-on mods (And Kentucky Fried Chickens). Every car down there, and I do mean EVERY car down there had a fart can, horrible peeling purple tint, hanging yellow fog lights, neon, chrome EVERYTHING, and hubcap spinners.

Horrible.

But welcome, my wife is from Port of Spain!
come on man, don't exaggerate, only a few of them have the AMG badge on them.
We got quite a few real AMGs down here though.
However, you weren't really exaggerating about all the japanese mediocre cars having cheap mods, fart cans and chrome stuff all over.
Its funny but as a local, i get used to it
Some of us here, go to extreme lengths to make our car look good, importing stuff from japan, USA and Europe
Trinidadians really love cars, thats why you will almost never see a car with stock rims atleast. For the mediorce cars, everyone buys the same cheap japanese accessories, found nearly everywhere Thats why you see so many cars that look almost exactly the same.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Is this really all about the badge anymore, or if a non-amg mercedes has the AMG logo on it.

I have authentic AMG rims on my E-class. Am i being a poser?
Should i have gotten replicas that doesn't have the AMG logo on it?
Would i be a poser?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 PM

04 S430 4Matic/03 Ml 320/ 98' E320 4matic/ 73' slc 450/ 05 cherokee
Is this really all about the badge anymore, or if a non-amg mercedes has the AMG logo on it.

Would i be a poser?
obviously you havent read the previous posts..

go ahead and throw on AMG add ons. no one said anything about upgrading your car with AMG parts/accessories
Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4

Would i be a poser?

If you have real AMG wheels - than the wheels already have the AMG logo on them.

Would you be a poser if you had a car that did 0-60 in 10 seconds but has an AMG badge? Everyone probably has a different answer to that question.

It's your car. Do whatever you want.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM

I guess this thread is really a mattter of your own opinion, or what you like or think works. There is no right and wrong way.
How could someone be a poser just by having an AMG badge?
If you have an E350 and rebadge it as an E55 or E63, Then that is seriously "poser-ish"
There are small differences between the AMG appearance package and a real AMG (Physically, on the exterior)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4matic
obviously you havent read the previous posts..

go ahead and throw on AMG add ons. no one said anything about upgrading your car with AMG parts/accessories
i have read the other posts
I'm just saying that its really based on ones opinions and what type of image they're aiming for.
The person who started this thread just wanted some opinions, not for someone to tell him whether he should do it or not.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
You're kidding , right ? ...............
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 PM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
Whatever for what my car cost down here 76k usd I think I have earned the right to put whatever badge I want on my ride ... And yes I have my amg badge that I got on eBay, I put it on since I liked the chrome badge and the right side of my trunk was bare. The fact that some one takes exception to this means nothing my rims say amg and my trunk says amg.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev
Whatever for what my car cost down here 76k usd I think I have earned the right to put whatever badge I want on my ride ... And yes I have my amg badge that I got on eBay, I put it on since I liked the chrome badge and the right side of my trunk was bare. The fact that some one takes exception to this means nothing my rims say amg and my trunk says amg.
Why stop with an AMG badge? Why not a Ferrari badge or a Lambo badge? Your car is not an AMG so it should not have the badge. Period. Let's be honest here. People do this to try to insinuate that they have more money than they really have. Many people mistake my car for an AMG, almost weekly. Every time I get a question about it, I make sure to state that it's not an AMG, but looks like one. You know what? Those same people still compliment me on it. Never have I gotten a response such as "Oh, it's not an AMG, it's junk." Be proud of what you have.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 AM

Why stop with an AMG badge? Why not a Ferrari badge or a Lambo badge? Your car is not an AMG so it should not have the badge. Period. Let's be honest here. People do this to try to insinuate that they have more money than they really have. Many people mistake my car for an AMG, almost weekly. Every time I get a question about it, I make sure to state that it's not an AMG, but looks like one. You know what? Those same people still compliment me on it. Never have I gotten a response such as "Oh, it's not an AMG, it's junk." Be proud of what you have.
I understand where your're comming from but if someone has the AMG appearance package on their car, they too could be mistaken by being someone who "Do this to try to insinuate that they have more money than they really have"
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand where your're comming from but if someone has the AMG appearance package on their car, they too could be mistaken by being someone who"Do this to try to insinuate that they have more money than they really have"
Not if I don't have the badge on my car.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Honestly, to everyone posing with an AMG badge on their car, stop being ashamed of what you have and stop fronting to the public in an attempt to make you feel better about what you drive. If you want a real AMG make more money and buy one.... Or save some money and get a used one.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by C43AMG
You're kidding , right ? ...............
Whats better, rebadging your car as an AMG model, ie: E350 --> E55
or just having the badge on with nothing on the other side

I hate to see cars that have the model number on the left followed by AMG on the righr, Example: E320 AMG , E350 AMG

I believe that it should be one, the other, or none at all

Also, the car must have some AMG accessories to even deserve getting the AMG badge

I think that completely stock benzs that have it look stupid

For the AMG owners, I understand why you hate seeing it on non-AMG models. You don't get the attention and respect that your car deserves. when everyone else thinks they are all the same (I'm talking about the average joes atleast. Real enthusiast will know)

Just curious, BMW has the //M3 badge but what is the //M Badge for? Their models with the M-Sport kit?
Maybe mercedes should have a sports badge for their models with sports packages.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 AM

Not if I don't have the badge on my car.
That's true
putting the badge on should be up to person,
I don't think that it is poser-ish if they do in a case like this
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
stop hatin I said I paid 10 to 12 grand more for my c300 than what you all in the states pay for a c63 I don't see it as fronting at all I see BMW's with The M badge all the time that come that way same way i see S line Audi's... I so happen to like the badge I didn't as some do change my front bumper and hood and then de-badge to try and pass it off as a c63... and even then so what its their ride... For me to have a c63 down here would mean I would pay what over 176 thousand USD thats crazy even if I had the money that would be crazy... May be in the states where c classes are priced like honda accords it would be fronting to put the badge on there but in many parts of the world these cars cost some serious money....

This criticism coming from some one who's ride looks like an e55amg... and whose wife comes from trindad you should know better having come to the islands you now how much these rides cost.

snap must edit again went and read your specs AMG exhaust, AMG body Kit... was diggin your pano roof only to see that its not a pano you just painted your roof black... now you tell me who is the poser.

Last edited by jamaicakevkev; 04-07-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
That's true
putting the badge on should be up to person,
I don't think that it is poser-ish if they do in a case like this
It obvious you've missed the entire point of this thread.Regardless of how Benz-O-Rama has tried to explain it to you in a kind and intelligent way,you just don't get it.Keep the badge on your car.The day will come when a "M" car or something else will roll-up and blow your doors off and then maybe the light will turn on in your head.Benz-O-Rama was also correct - why don't you just disgrace your car even more by making it a rolling collection of every other car badge that your car isn't. ...........
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GTS
Originally Posted by NOMO
Well none of the body panels really match do they?

you are a smart man.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev
stop hatin I said I paid 10 to 12 grand more for my c300 than what you all in the states pay for a c63 I don't see it as fronting at all I see BMW's with The M badge all the time that come that way same way i see S line Audi's... I so happen to like the badge I didn't as some do change my front bumper and hood and then de-badge to try and pass it off as a c63... and even then so what its their ride... For me to have a c63 down here would mean I would pay what over 176 thousand USD thats crazy even if I had the money that would be crazy... May be in the states where c classes are priced like honda accords it would be fronting to put the badge on there but in many parts of the world these cars cost some serious money....

This criticism coming from some one who's ride looks like an e55amg... and whose wife comes from trindad you should know better having come to the islands you now how much these rides cost.

snap must edit again went and read your specs AMG exhaust, AMG body Kit... was diggin your pano roof only to see that its not a pano you just painted your roof black... now you tell me who is the poser.

I've changed certain things about my car for aesthetic reasons. But in no way have I ever led anyone to believe it's an AMG. On the contrary, when unknowing people compliment me on my, (what they think is an) E55, or E63, I quickly inform them that it's only a measly E500.

You do realize that AMG is nothing more than a tuning company, right? Has anyone from AMG done any tuning on your car? Do you have any AMG performance parts on your car? My point is, why on Earth would you want to badge your car as having these performance parts when they don't? The answer is easy. So people think the car is more expensive than it is. Why did you choose an AMG badge and not a Kleeman, Brabus, or Lorinser badge? They're also Mercedes-Benz tuning companies, of which you don't have any of their parts installed.

Yes, vehicles in Trinidad and Jamaica are much more expensive as the same car would be in the U.S., so if you own one of these cars, it's already obvious to people that you're doing well, financially. If that's your goal.

And you've made my point for me. Yep, I have an AMG body kit, AMG exhaust, and even a set of AMG wheels for the Winter. And even with ALL OF THAT, I don't wear the AMG badge. Why? Because it's not an AMG.

Tell you what. Take pictures of your "AMG" car and post it in the AMG section of this forum. Let's see what kinds of responses you get.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 04-07-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I've changed certain things about my car for aesthetic reasons. But in no way have I ever led anyone to believe it's an AMG. On the contrary, when unknowing people compliment me on my, (what they think is an) E55, or E63, I quickly inform them that it's only a measly E500.

You do realize that AMG is nothing more than a tuning company, right? Has anyone from AMG done any tuning on your car? Do you have any AMG performance parts on your car? My point is, why on Earth would you want to badge your car as having these performance parts when they don't? The answer is easy? So people think the car is more expensive than it is. Why did you choose an AMG badge and not a Kleeman, Brabus, or Lorinser badge? They're also Mercedes-Benz tuning companies, of which you don't have any of their parts installed.

Yes, vehicles in Trinidad and Jamaica as much more expensive as the same car would be in the U.S., so if you own one of these cars, it's already obvious to people that you're doing well, financially. If that's your goal.

And you've made my point for me. Yep, I have an AMG body kit, AMG exhaust, and even a set of AMG wheels for the Winter. And even with ALL OF THAT, I don't wear the AMG badge. Why? Because it's not an AMG.

Tell you what. Take pictures of your "AMG" car and post it in the AMG section of this forum. Let's see what kinds of responses you get.
While this is a tired subject, I have to say that Benzo your "measly" E500 is beautiful irregardless of what badge you have on it...it's obvious you are proud of what you have and made it tight and clean...which you can do to any vehicle whatever the brand without pretending to be something it isn't.

I had a 2001 CLK430 and loved it but always craved the CLK55 but alas my bank account couldn't afford it at that time. Actually if you didn't know anything about MB's you probably would not know the difference. However, throwing an AMG badge on the rear deck just made me squirmy because I just felt I was lying to myself...but that is me.

I just bided my time and worked my **** off to get to the point where I could afford an MB that already had the AMG badge coming from the factory. That doesn't make me better than anyone else...it just means we have different standards.

Last edited by AMGfan; 04-07-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM

2013 E350
Hmmmm, lets see, your not a cop but you got some nice black boots on, so hey what the heck i'll just wear this cop batch i found on ebay. Are you a poser in that case ? (after all, it is nice and shiny and chromie like an AMG badge ).

Come on now...... enough is enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To AMG Badge or not to AMG Badge