E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing Low Beam Headlight on E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Changing Low Beam Headlight on E320

Hello,

I have a 2005 E320 and has been working fine since the day I bought it. A couple days both low beam headlights went out. I went to the manual and found out that my car has the halogen headlights bearing the code H7 (55W).

I went to sylvania.com to find out more about these bulbs and they have a couple variety, such as H7SU for the brightest and whitest halogen, H7ST for the brighter and whiter halogen, and so on you get my point.

Questions:

1) According to the manual, we can replace the bulbs ourselves. Is that recommended? Anyone try this before with their cars?

2) Should I get the H7SU or the H7ST?

3) Any other recommendations or factors that I have not considered?

Let me know. Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Yes you can change the bulb. I used the sylvania bright star for the extra light. But caution do not use larger wattage than the manual allows or you might be blowing circuits.
The back of the light assembly is covered with a large (3") rubber dome. Rotate it (don't remember which left or right) about 1/4 of a turn and the rear cap it will come off allowing access to the bulb. Then you can remove the bulb. I don't remember if the socket is a twist then pull or pull someone who has done it reciently might remember. Not difficult.

I suggest you use rubber gloves so as to not TOUCH the new bulb. If your hands leave an oily reisdue on the bulb it will fail prematurely.

I also suggest you change both bulbs at the same time. I found that when 1 fails the other is shortly behing it so buy a pair of bulbs if that will save you some $$.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM

2005 E320
Thanks, Vettdvr!

Both low beam headlights are out so I am planning to change both bulbs. Is that what you meant? Or do you suggest to change both the LOW and HIGH beam headlights at the same time?

Speaking of high beam headlights, I have found that my high beam headlights are also out - both right and left high beam headlights do not come on when I turn on the switch. Instead, the parking lights (right adjacent to the low beams come on brighter). However, I do not see any notifications on my screen that the high beams are out, only that the low beams are out.

Are my high beams really out or they do not work if the low beams are out?

Please advise. I'm really confused!

Originally Posted by vettdvr
Yes you can change the bulb. I used the sylvania bright star for the extra light. But caution do not use larger wattage than the manual allows or you might be blowing circuits.
The back of the light assembly is covered with a large (3") rubber dome. Rotate it (don't remember which left or right) about 1/4 of a turn and the rear cap it will come off allowing access to the bulb. Then you can remove the bulb. I don't remember if the socket is a twist then pull or pull someone who has done it reciently might remember. Not difficult.

I suggest you use rubber gloves so as to not TOUCH the new bulb. If your hands leave an oily reisdue on the bulb it will fail prematurely.

I also suggest you change both bulbs at the same time. I found that when 1 fails the other is shortly behing it so buy a pair of bulbs if that will save you some $$.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Your brights

are in the same module as the city lights,the little round ovals.The brights are also H7.If you want brighter light and longer lasting bulbs.Order 4 65 watt rally bulbs from www.danielsternlighting.com
They will not harm the wires and will not trip any lamp malfunction warnings.The bulb changing procedure is in your manual.
Wear some latex gloves when you do the change?(the kind without powder on them)they will protect your hands from scrapes in the tight confines behind the bulbs and not damage the bulbs if you happen to touch the glass.

If all 4 truely went out at the same time you might want to check the fuses.
As all 4 going at the same time would be odds in the millions.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 AM

2005 E320
Thanks. But I live in Canada and I would like to replace these bulbs quickly. Maybe I should just go to the Canadian Tire?

Would the consensus recommendation be that I changed the low beams first and then see if the high beams would work by then?

Should I consult my dealership? I have a service advisor, but he's hard to get a hold of.

Originally Posted by ohlord
are in the same module as the city lights,the little round ovals.The brights are also H7.If you want brighter light and longer lasting bulbs.Order 4 65 watt rally bulbs from www.danielsternlighting.com
They will not harm the wires and will not trip any lamp malfunction warnings.The bulb changing procedure is in your manual.
Wear some latex gloves when you do the change?(the kind without powder on them)they will protect your hands from scrapes in the tight confines behind the bulbs and not damage the bulbs if you happen to touch the glass.

If all 4 truely went out at the same time you might want to check the fuses.
As all 4 going at the same time would be odds in the millions.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM

E320
The back of the light assembly is covered with a large (3") rubber dome. Rotate it (don't remember which left or right)
Righty tighty lefty loosey. Common for virtually everything that twists or screws on. Learned the quote in elem school from violin teacher. Typin on iPhone sucks.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM

2005 E320
Some people recommended taking off the batteries to change these bulbs. That would involve taking the negatives and positives off the main battery in the trunk and the auxiliary battery under the front hood.

Is this necessary? What are the chances of hurting yourself without taking off the batteries when changing bulbs? Note that the manual does not say anything about taking off batteries.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by JCFans
Hello,

I have a 2005 E320 and has been working fine since the day I bought it. A couple days both low beam headlights went out. I went to the manual and found out that my car has the halogen headlights bearing the code H7 (55W).

I went to sylvania.com to find out more about these bulbs and they have a couple variety, such as H7SU for the brightest and whitest halogen, H7ST for the brighter and whiter halogen, and so on you get my point.

Questions:

1) According to the manual, we can replace the bulbs ourselves. Is that recommended? Anyone try this before with their cars?

2) Should I get the H7SU or the H7ST?

3) Any other recommendations or factors that I have not considered?

Let me know. Any help is appreciated!
I think you need to check out your electrical system........the odds of all four headlights burning out at the same time are worse than the odds of hitting the Lotto! What's the status of the other lights, such as the turn signals, the fogs lights, side running lights, tail lights, stop lights, etc......do they work? You could replace one of the low beam lights just to verify whether that fixes it or not before taking it to your MB service shop. I just replaced one of my low beam lights...........if your vehicle is like mine, it's better to unfasten the coolant overflow reservoir and pull it out of it's rubber sockets before trying to access the light low beam.........so, try replacing the right side first to see if that works or not. Also, these are turn to the left to unsnap the holding lock and pull out.......reverse process for installing. I buy my H7s from my MB Dealer Parts Department.......just use the standard one they stock.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM

2005 E320
I think I may have made a mistake. I apologize, I don't know much about cars.

The high beam headlights are the small "eyes" on the inside of the four eyes, right? Then those are working. But I will try replacing my low beams today and keep this forum updated of the results.

Originally Posted by mcleantmw
I think you need to check out your electrical system........the odds of all four headlights burning out at the same time are worse than the odds of hitting the Lotto! What's the status of the other lights, such as the turn signals, the fogs lights, side running lights, tail lights, stop lights, etc......do they work? You could replace one of the low beam lights just to verify whether that fixes it or not before taking it to your MB service shop. I just replaced one of my low beam lights...........if your vehicle is like mine, it's better to unfasten the coolant overflow reservoir and pull it out of it's rubber sockets before trying to access the light low beam.........so, try replacing the right side first to see if that works or not. Also, these are turn to the left to unsnap the holding lock and pull out.......reverse process for installing. I buy my H7s from my MB Dealer Parts Department.......just use the standard one they stock.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 AM

2005 E320
I have successfully changed both my low beam headlights! High beams also work.

It was a challenging process due to the modules are occluded by other parts but I did both in over an hour. Taking off the electrical connector and plugging it back in was A PAIN though.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette

It was a challenging process due to the modules are occluded by other parts but I did both in over an hour. Taking off the electrical connector and plugging it back in was A PAIN though.

Well done, glad you didn't disconnect the battery. That would open the 2nd can of worms.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM

2005 E320
Thanks, vettdvr, for all your help!

Well done, glad you didn't disconnect the battery. That would open the 2nd can of worms.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
time to put on some HID kit!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM

2005 E320
I actually considered that but it's too cold outside lol.

How much would it cost to do HID conversion on all 4 high and low beams if I were to take it to a) the dealership, or b) a mechanic, like Mr. Lube or Midas (is this even advisable)?

Originally Posted by MJ50
time to put on some HID kit!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
I actually considered that but it's too cold outside lol.

How much would it cost to do HID conversion on all 4 high and low beams if I were to take it to a) the dealership, or b) a mechanic, like Mr. Lube or Midas (is this even advisable)?
i've seen hid kits go as low as around 60 bux per pair...
u can prolly DIY the install... but need to visit dealer (or shop that has SDS) for version coding...
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM

2005 E320
How much would that cost in Canada?

Originally Posted by MJ50
i've seen hid kits go as low as around 60 bux per pair...
u can prolly DIY the install... but need to visit dealer (or shop that has SDS) for version coding...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
How much would that cost in Canada?
do the currency conversion...
Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 AM

2007 E550

How did you change your low beam bulbs. I have to ask my son who has a skinnier forearm to twist the darn socket back on. My left forearm was too big trying to twist the driver side low beam socket back on. Whenever I twist and my arm automatically flex, the darn coolant reservoir was there blocking it. My son was barely able to twist the socket on. I hope he twisted it securely on it may be trouble if it comes loose!

Anyone got any special pointer on a easier way than taking it to the mechanic for changing the light bulbs?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 PM

2003 E320
I take the single expansion type fastener out (it looks like a screw but it is not) and pull the reservoir can to one side. It makes the driver's side easier. I could never get to the lamp with the can in place. BTW, I am on my second set of Silverstars. They are much better than stock lights but unfortunately they have a very short life. I believe they admit to 500 hours. I have turned off the DTRL feature to extend their life.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 AM

2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by dhho1
How did you change your low beam bulbs. I have to ask my son who has a skinnier forearm to twist the darn socket back on. My left forearm was too big trying to twist the driver side low beam socket back on. Whenever I twist and my arm automatically flex, the darn coolant reservoir was there blocking it. My son was barely able to twist the socket on. I hope he twisted it securely on it may be trouble if it comes loose!

Anyone got any special pointer on a easier way than taking it to the mechanic for changing the light bulbs?
There's just one screw with nut holding the coolant resevoir in place.........unfasten the screw with nut and you can move the coolant resevoir to the side for more room to access the left (driver's side) headlight assembly. The Service Rep at my MB Dealer replaced the bulb for me at no charge and I watched how he did this............I've since replaced the left bulb myself. The H7 bulbs are used for both low beam and high beam lights. I did recently purchase a packet of two Siverstar H7 bulbs on sale at AdvanceAutoParts store and will use these for the low beams when they need replacement next time.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I didn't remove anything but the rubber dust cover. My fat hand fit into the opening. Quarter turn to remove the socket with bulb. Then a very small screwdriver to just pry the base of the bulb up from the socket then remove the bulb. As they would say in Chiltons for engine removal. Installation is reverse of remove.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by dhho1

Hello dhho1,

It's been a while since I've done the actual procedure so I'm not quite sure on the specifics. However I have fairly skinny arms that could go into the low beam sockets- keep in mind that after this I have minor scratches and scuffs on my arms. It was a pretty tight deal.

If anyone has any special pointers I'd like to hear them also!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM

2003 E320
Smile Headlight Help

I have a Mercedes 2003 E320…and here’s my issue

1. Drivers side headlight began to flicker and eventually went out
2. Error message came on the control panel saying “Low beam out”
3. Passenger side headlight works fine
4. Bright’s on both sides work
5. Replaced bulb on drivers side and it worked for a while…then went out
6. Tried a different bulb, worked for a while… then went out
7. Bright’s work on both sides
8. Thought it was the W211 Bi-Xenon Headlight Igniter Ignition, so I swapped the passenger side with the non-working drivers side. It worked fine on the passenger side so I am not sure if that is the issue.

Not sure if I need a new W211 Bi-Xenon Headlight Igniter Ignition or a W211 Bi-Xenon HeadLight Control Unit or Both

Help...pulling hair out
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
once you've swapped everything side to side, and you still have issues, your Driver side front SAM needs be tested....