E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question about a salvage E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX
Question about a salvage E320

Hey everyone. While looking for a sedan I came across this salvage title E320. The seller says the salvage title is due to water damage, but there is a gap between the front bumper and the hood. He is asking 6400 CDN which seems like a bargain. I will inspect the car soon, but I would like your input as to what to expect and look for and how much it would cost to fix that bumper. Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the MB owners community

The ad:

"2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic all wheel drive. It has a rebuilt salvage title due to water damage. The vehicle was taken through a puddle by a previous owner that resulted in immediately stopping the engine. The water damage was only up to the threshold of the doors and the carpet, seats, and all electrical components in the affected area were replaced. The motor was carefully rebuilt and balanced by a qualified ASE certified Technician. This vehicle has usual wear and tear for its low 59K miles that include minor scratches and body imperfections but is still in great shape! The front bumper on the passenger side is slightly misaligned because of the bent bracket underneath."
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
The hood might not be fully shut?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by vjknh
Hey everyone. While looking for a sedan I came across this salvage title E320. The seller says the salvage title is due to water damage, but there is a gap between the front bumper and the hood. He is asking 6400 CDN which seems like a bargain. I will inspect the car soon, but I would like your input as to what to expect and look for and how much it would cost to fix that bumper. Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the MB owners community

The ad:

"2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 4matic all wheel drive. It has a rebuilt salvage title due to water damage. The vehicle was taken through a puddle by a previous owner that resulted in immediately stopping the engine. The water damage was only up to the threshold of the doors and the carpet, seats, and all electrical components in the affected area were replaced. The motor was carefully rebuilt and balanced by a qualified ASE certified Technician. This vehicle has usual wear and tear for its low 59K miles that include minor scratches and body imperfections but is still in great shape! The front bumper on the passenger side is slightly misaligned because of the bent bracket underneath."
You have got to be kidding. Two years ago my car went through deep water -- no engine damage but lots of electrical issues and the rebuild would have cost $11,000. My dealer and I worked though a salvage sale (for more than you're paying) and I took the $11,000 from the insurance company and got a new car. I didn't want to worry about what was going to happen next.The problem is that the real effects of water damage often don't show up until considerably later as corrosion, mold, etc. develop. I suspect you will not have a reliable car on your hands. The "value" of a salvage vehicle is for its parts, not as a daily driver. Unless you are in the parts business and can see yourself making money by dismantling the car peiece by piece, I would stay away. By the way two other consequences: you may not be able to obtain insurance at reasonable rates; and when you ever try to resell you will have to deal with the salvage history.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Run the other way. In my previous car I drove through a flooded street and water got into the engine. A new engine cost $25,000USD so it was cheaper to salvage the car. I was very happy about it because I didn't want to deal with the car that had flood damage and I suggest you don't deal with it either. Molding and corrossion would be my primary concern and I'm sure the electric gremlins would be present also. Do yourself a favor and walk away from that car. It is cheap for a reason.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 PM

W204 C63
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Run the other way. In my previous car I drove through a flooded street and water got into the engine. A new engine cost $25,000USD so it was cheaper to salvage the car. I was very happy about it because I didn't want to deal with the car that had flood damage and I suggest you don't deal with it either. Molding and corrossion would be my primary concern and I'm sure the electric gremlins would be present also. Do yourself a favor and walk away from that car. It is cheap for a reason.
+1

Could agree with you more. OP, run away from what it's sure to be the beginning of your financial demise
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Acura MDX
Hey guys thank you for the replies. I just contacted the seller by email, so I will be waiting for a reply to inspect the car in person. As far as the engine goes the seller claims "it runs and drives mint and has been an excellent car! It was also serviced at the local Mercedes Benz dealer appr. 2500 miles ago."

If it is indeed in good running order now what sort of electrical/engine problems could possibly arise later? I will definitely do a thorough inspection before committing to anything. Basically I am looking for a fairly reliable daily driver at a low price. Although I am not a mechanic I am pretty good with auto mechanics...

I assure you though now after reading the replies I am not as enthusiastic as before.. I am definitely not looking forward to "begin my financial demise" or any kind of demise because of a car for that matter

Looking forward to more ideas...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Acura MDX

Last edited by vjknh; 05-15-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 PM

2003 E320
These are great cars BUT, not cheap to maintain. Services and Parts are EXPENSIVE. I would tell you to continue your interest on the E-Class since they are amazing cars but, do not go with a salvage one, especially from water. Like many others have mentioned, these cars have a LOT of technology in them and there are lots of electrical dependent systems and you know that those systems and water are NOT a good combination. Also that gap is not a good sign, if the hood was completely closed when the picture was taken then that car had some sort of accident on the front area. Keep looking, you will find a nice one that you will not have to worry about what may surface due to that water damage. That is my opinion
Old 05-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350
There is a latch on both side of the hood, so yes it is possible the latch isn't catching on the passenger side, otherwise run Forrest run!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 AM

2005 E500
if you just read the ad it says that there is a bent bracket and that is why the hood looks weird...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Life is like a box of chocolets you never know what you're gonna get!