RED BATTERY warning Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
RED BATTERY warning Help

Finally my first error since vehicle purchase two years ago.

This is very strange. A couple of days ago I replaced OEM wheels with aftermarket ones and I don't believe I ever had TPMS but cannot be 100% sure. Next thing, the battery stops charging and the Red Battery came on the instrument cluster. After a while the warning went away but kept returning. I just got around to looking at the car this evening.

Probably nothing to do with the wheel change but it sure surprised me. I checked the voltage at the battery with engine running and it is low around 10v though the instrument cluster says 12.1v but drops to 11.7 when I switch lights and emergency lights etc. on for load.
The car is 2007 E320 Bluetec.

I have a feeling the regulator or alternator died.
Are there any recalls on alternator, regulator etc.?

My forum search feature is presently not working.

Last edited by pinebaron; 08-27-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
There was a bulletin on the alternator/regulator. I'm going by memory her; I've slept since I read this.

But yes, you are correct with your assumptions.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
There was a bulletin on the alternator/regulator. I'm going by memory her; I've slept since I read this.

But yes, you are correct with your assumptions.
I'll have to search the complete recall thread. Search function is just not working for me.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Correction. I just reread your post and noticed your MY. You should be covered under warranty regardless of bulletin/recall affecting earlier MYs.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Correction. I just reread your post and noticed your MY. You should be covered under warranty regardless of bulletin/recall affecting earlier MYs.
I searched all the threads but could not locate a related recall.

Even though the dealer usually picks the car from my home for servicing etc., I'll take it in tomorrow and hopefully get it fixed while I wait. My local dealer's service dept. is closed on Saturday.

I hope its not just a fuse or something.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211
When my battery warning light came on it truned out to be the BCM, Battery Control Module
Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rontnak
When my battery warning light came on it truned out to be the BCM, Battery Control Module
It was more than that here. I just returned from the dealership, without the car. The regulator and alternator both need replacing and the parts will not arrive till Monday morning. While its there, they will also perform service B though I could have waited for another 3 months. In addition the fuel filter will be replaced plus an outstanding DTB, not sure exactly which one perhaps the oxygen sensor one.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Update on Red Battery Message

Replaced Regulator, Alternator and Battery all under warranty. No idea why it happened though. Vehicle is with me and in perfect condition. They had the vehicle since last Friday changing only one component at a time, testing, then next and so on. I don't care as long as they fixed it and I am now a happy camper.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by pinebaron
It was more than that here. I just returned from the dealership, without the car. The regulator and alternator both need replacing and the parts will not arrive till Monday morning. While its there, they will also perform service B though I could have waited for another 3 months. In addition the fuel filter will be replaced plus an outstanding DTB, not sure exactly which one perhaps the oxygen sensor one.
?Fuel filter? In the tank filter? Expect to pay big $$ for this one and verify your fuel gauge works properly.

I took mine in at 80,000 miles to change the fuel filter and the service mgr told me they have begun to go 100000 before changing. He recommend not to change early.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by vettdvr
?Fuel filter? In the tank filter? Expect to pay big $$ for this one and verify your fuel gauge works properly.

I took mine in at 80,000 miles to change the fuel filter and the service mgr told me they have begun to go 100000 before changing. He recommend not to change early.
Oil & filter change service A (last service they flushed coolant), lubricate panorama rails, replace fuel filter $303.98 incl. tax. Not too bad I think.
Cherry Hill MB in NJ is usually quite reasonable.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Same just happened to me. Driving along....red battery symbol without any other text (according to owners manual, this means that the electrical system has stopped charging the battery, rather than a 'battery malfunction' itself). The warning message itself disappeared after a few seconds and seemed to become a 'lower priority' message. No consumer load shed indicated (maybe didn't drive enough with the error condition).

Luckily I was ~7 miles away from the dealership, and I just swung in, got in to a loaner. They called today...voltage regulator needs to be replaced.

07 E320 Bluetec...just turned 30k miles.

Finally my first error since vehicle purchase two years ago.

This is very strange. A couple of days ago I replaced OEM wheels with aftermarket ones and I don't believe I ever had TPMS but cannot be 100% sure. Next thing, the battery stops charging and the Red Battery came on the instrument cluster. After a while the warning went away but kept returning. I just got around to looking at the car this evening.

Probably nothing to do with the wheel change but it sure surprised me. I checked the voltage at the battery with engine running and it is low around 10v though the instrument cluster says 12.1v but drops to 11.7 when I switch lights and emergency lights etc. on for load.
The car is 2007 E320 Bluetec.

I have a feeling the regulator or alternator died.
Are there any recalls on alternator, regulator etc.?

My forum search feature is presently not working.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Bluetec Diesel FUEL filters are right under the hood, in between the 'V' Takes maybe 15- 20 minutes to change. You usually need to change the clamps too. Fuel guage does not read from here obviously, but there is a water-in-fuel level sensor that fits in to the filter too.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by apl175
Same just happened to me. Driving along....red battery symbol without any other text (according to owners manual, this means that the electrical system has stopped charging the battery, rather than a 'battery malfunction' itself). The warning message itself disappeared after a few seconds and seemed to become a 'lower priority' message. No consumer load shed indicated (maybe didn't drive enough with the error condition).

Luckily I was ~7 miles away from the dealership, and I just swung in, got in to a loaner. They called today...voltage regulator needs to be replaced.

07 E320 Bluetec...just turned 30k miles.
The Battery message becomes increasingly frequent following the first occurence to becoming permanently on in a matter of a day (or few miles driving).

We want to keep track of this occurence though mine was the alternator/regulator and as a result, the battery too.
You will find out what they changed when the vehicle is returned to you. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
The Battery message becomes increasingly frequent following the first occurence to becoming permanently on in a matter of a day (or few miles driving).

We want to keep track of this occurence though mine was the alternator/regulator and as a result, the battery too.
You will find out what they changed when the vehicle is returned to you. Please keep us updated.
Ok, now it's YOUR fault after reading this thread.

My Battery Red warning came on yesterday. Had I not read your thread it probably would not have happened..

I have already replaced my aux bat about 6 months ago. Yesterday it verified 12.8 V engine off. I checked the charging system which does a very detail check and it passed all checks including reg, diodes/alternator.
I did not check the Bat module dont know how. I suspect the main battery is dropping a cell. After I drove about 15 minutes shut it off and started up the red warning cleared and no malfunctions identified. So I as suspecious my battery OEM 2003 origional is now dropping a cell with the engine off causing low starting voltage and throwing the warning.

So today I will do overnight power off checks to see how much the main is dropping with lights on and will probably have to buy a new starting battery.

Dang it if I read your post on red warnings. I think these cars talk to each other through the TelAid system to plot against us.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Had I not read your thread it probably would not have happened..
Perhaps we should call in a tall priest and a short priest...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Ok, now it's YOUR fault after reading this thread.

My Battery Red warning came on yesterday. Had I not read your thread it probably would not have happened..
I was just crazy enough to start a new thread for Bluetecs Red Battery messages; everyone else was having battery or regulator problems with non-Bluetecs. Mine topped that with an alternator failure too (in the negative sense ofcourse).
Worse still: my charging problems extended today to my garden tractor and I could not mow my lawn; it finally got too dark to continue working on it. I think I'll order a new tractor; pity I cannot do that with my vehicle for at least another year when 2011 Bluetec comes out.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Update.

I checked the charging system and all is well. This was solid state system that checks voltage wave form and total system.

Aux bat was 12.6 volts and bought 6 month or so ago from MB.

The main bat was placed in service 2002 for the 2003 model year and is 7 yrs old. I measured it under load and it was 12.1 volts with just headlights on engine off. I decided to pull the trigger on a new main battery.

Napa was $230+ 15 core + 8.5% tax and 4 to 5 day delivery
Autozone was $129 + 10 core + 8.5 tax but this was lead acid only no AGM and on the shelf
Carquest was $179 and this battery was on their website as OEM identical replacement AGM battery with 1 day delivery.

I decided to go carquest for the OEM Identical and 1 day delivery.

Dangest thing after getting the visit workshop bat once it has never come on again. Could have been just a fluke but I figured after 7 yrs the main battery could be replaced under normal maintenance anyway.

So tomorrow in goes the new battery.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Well, regulator replaced....said they tested it, and drove it...all was well. Go over a bumpy patch of road on the way home.....battery message came back same as before. Grrrrr. Trying to decide if I can risk returning to the dealership (15 miles away).....stay tuned.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 PM

2004 E500 & 1987 560SL
OK, I join the club. 2004 E500 66k, here are my symtoms:

- Red Battery warning
- When the engine is running I also get the conv. accessories shut off
- Radio works without the key inserted????

Had to drive home -then got the STOP immediately Brake malfunction message.

Replaced both batteries - no change.

It is draining the main battery, small one seems to be ok.

It is going into service tonight - hope they find the real problem and not just replace everything that might be wrong.

I will post an update!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by treddel
OK, I join the club. 2004 E500 66k, here are my symtoms:

- Red Battery warning
- When the engine is running I also get the conv. accessories shut off
- Radio works without the key inserted????

Had to drive home -then got the STOP immediately Brake malfunction message.

Replaced both batteries - no change.

It is draining the main battery, small one seems to be ok.

It is going into service tonight - hope they find the real problem and not just replace everything that might be wrong.

I will post an update!
Battery control module mounted on the rear panel by the main battery?

This might be your issue or the seat relay.

Today I installed a new main battery bought from carquest. Special order AGM battery. Not that difficult to install once I found the hold down strap used a metal arm to attach to vs another fabric arm. Looked all over for the fabric end then dah,, realized it was the metal arm. Only issue was ESP disable after changing battery. I re-synced all the items but the manual doesnt' say how to energize the ESP. I figured it might auto reset so I took it for a test drive. Stopped the car then punched it. Wow exciting much like my corvette, spun both tires easily. Drove it for a few minutes, noticed the yellow ! flashing and pushed the ESP on button and it came on, so I think it just auto set after driving.

Dang clock instructions Followed the manual and the clock just would not reset, then the wife noticed in the FSS the note about press R to accept. This was not in the manual. After pressing R all was well.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM

2004 E500 & 1987 560SL
My red battery light is supposingly coming from a bad alternator. I was quoted almost $800 for the part and install (Non official MB Shop) and that is using a BOSCH rebuilt one. I can get the same part for $300 - is it that difficult to install and alternator in a E500? Does anybody have instructions?

Your support is as always highly appreciated.

treddel
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
My red battery light is supposingly coming from a bad alternator. I was quoted almost $800 for the part and install (Non official MB Shop) and that is using a BOSCH rebuilt one. I can get the same part for $300 - is it that difficult to install and alternator in a E500? Does anybody have instructions? Your support is as always highly appreciated. treddel
VIN included in Service Campaign 2005070017 that entitles you to free repair check your email.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
My red battery light is supposingly coming from a bad alternator. I was quoted almost $800 for the part and install (Non official MB Shop) and that is using a BOSCH rebuilt one. I can get the same part for $300 - is it that difficult to install and alternator in a E500? Does anybody have instructions?

Your support is as always highly appreciated.

treddel
Below are details of actions fromMB invoice to remove and replace alternator in the following order on my Bluetec:
1. Engine Cover
2. Passenger side airbox
3. Intake muffler
4. Throttle valve inlet
5. Throttle valve assembly
6. Charge air tube downstream of intercooler
7. Alternator

The above actions do not include removing fault codes, battery load test, sds tests etc.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55, S65, C63, SLK55K4
where can you get the same part from for just $300... i just changed my alternator recently at the stealership and i paid almost $1300 for a W210 E55.. knowing where to get cheaper parts for future reference would be great. thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 AM

2004 E500 & 1987 560SL
It was a factory remanufactured Bosch unit. It's a small shop here in Houston: Javier at F&J Autoparts, they are specialized in Mercedes 713-773-0887.

I even found a Bosch reman. unit for $189, from a Houston altenator shop, but that seem a little too good to be true - I trust F&J.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RED BATTERY warning Help