Suspension DIY Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
Suspension DIY Help

Hey guys,
Hoping someone can tell me the best way to release the lower rear arm, i am just trying to release the tension on it somehow,
Basically today i tried to replace the rear bushes (putting in adjustable ones for camber correction) anyways after 3 hours of mucking around i ended putting everything back.
Basically the lower arm was under a lot of preload and was thinking people that have replaced their airmatics would have a good way to release some stress from the lower arm before unbolting the airmatic shock ?
Any help appreciated. I then have to work out the best way to press out the old bush
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by aintez
Hey guys,
Hoping someone can tell me the best way to release the lower rear arm, i am just trying to release the tension on it somehow,
Basically today i tried to replace the rear bushes (putting in adjustable ones for camber correction) anyways after 3 hours of mucking around i ended putting everything back.
Basically the lower arm was under a lot of preload and was thinking people that have replaced their airmatics would have a good way to release some stress from the lower arm before unbolting the airmatic shock ?
Any help appreciated. I then have to work out the best way to press out the old bush
I haven't done that specific job, but pressing out bushings require a full size press. I have never been able to press in new bushings without a heavy duty press. The old hammer socket just doesn't work for me.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM

The bushes came with a tool to press out the old bushes, or rather wind them out but i think the tool needs a little modifying to make it work properly.

The lower arm i have sitting on a gearbox hoist, while i work on the bush, but was thinking t would be great to get the gearbox hoist out of the way and people that have replaced shocks or airmatics would know whats the best way to get this arm off etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 AM

dammit i took it to a suspension shop that actually makes and mods bushes and after 3 hours they called me and started swearing at the germans haha. now my wife is kicking my butt so please if anyone knows what to do here please let me know, i could really do with getting this sussed asap.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
You need to release the tension on the lower control arm by letting the air out of the air spring. CAREFULY unscrew the hose from the top of the spring and CAREFULY insert a small thin screwdriver CAREFULY letting the air out of the valve. Did I say to do it CAREFULY?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by tashakes
You need to release the tension on the lower control arm by letting the air out of the air spring. CAREFULY unscrew the hose from the top of the spring and CAREFULY insert a small thin screwdriver CAREFULY letting the air out of the valve. Did I say to do it CAREFULY?
Hey bud thanks for that and the pm, in your pm you mentioned a pivot, i assume you mean a valve there like in 'bicycle tyre' or even car tyre valve ? This would mean there is a one way valve on here but i wonder how it controls and changes pressure if this is a one way valve.

Anyways I followed the line and unscrewed it on the otherside, where there seemed to be a bias valve (screwed to the backing of the right rear toe adjuster), and a little air came out but not much and the bags did not go down.

The line that goes into the rear shock goes into it from the side, unless there is another line that comes from the top (in which case this would probably be coming from the boot area).

I will try get some pics up shortly and see if im looking at the correct line.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 AM

just thought i would let anyone interested or anyone searching later on know that i found out the proper way to do it is to use the star diagnostic to release the air. basically solenoids inside it open and close so its not that easy to do manually i would think. If so i would think that you would have to power up the shocks some how to get the solenoids to open atleast one of the valves, from the diagrams i have seen when the solenoid is not powered (car parked) then the air remains in the unit.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
just thought i would let anyone interested or anyone searching later on know that i found out the proper way to do it is to use the star diagnostic to release the air. basically solenoids inside it open and close so its not that easy to do manually i would think. If so i would think that you would have to power up the shocks some how to get the solenoids to open atleast one of the valves, from the diagrams i have seen when the solenoid is not powered (car parked) then the air remains in the unit.
If there are two wires to the solenoid you might be able to disconnect, (all power off of course) and energize with external battery to open and vent.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 PM

probably atleast 3 wires as there are two solenoids, and knowing mercedes probably some sensors as well.
Thing is you would probably also need to know what voltage and amp to supply before doing it
Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
probably atleast 3 wires as there are two solenoids, and knowing mercedes probably some sensors as well.
Thing is you would probably also need to know what voltage and amp to supply before doing it
You're probably right. 1 wire common the other 2 would be open / close to shuttle the solenoid. I would not expect more than 12 volts needed. but starting at 5 would be a conservative start as there are many 5 V regulator circuits