E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Driving 4 days for 4 day holiday: am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Driving 4 days for 4 day holiday: am I crazy?

Opinions please - we (wiffe, 2 kids, me) are about to take an 8 day vacation in Florida, in the E320. From Toronto, that's at least a two day drive - OK, we can do it in two days, have done that before. Everyone's a good passenger and I like driving - obviously.

But am I crazy to drive 4 days for a 4 day vacation? Opinions?

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 09:13 PM

Oh I think it depends entirely on how you do it... if you look at it as your vacation starts the day you arrive and ends the day you leave, then it's pretty questionable... but even if you're driving the entire first two days, if you look at it as those first two days (and last two days on the return) are also part of your vacation, then it's not unreasonable at all... plan the trip to stop and rest at nice places to see anyway.

This reminds me of the first time I did a coast-to-coast drive. I told my dad I was going to drive it rather than fly it, and he put his hands to his head and said, "Oh my god... that's such a long drive... what a headache!" And I responded with, "but pop, when would I get another opportunity like this." (I was planning to take a month to drive it between graduating college and going to my first job...) At that point, his expression changed completely... he said basically, well, if you look at it as an opportunity rather than a chore... I guess that makes all the difference. I've since done that drive two more times... and none of those times have I done it in the less than the 3,000 miles or 50 to 60 hours driving that it would take if I were just driving for transportation... I have always taken MANY, MANY, side-trips to see things along the way...

It's an opportunity. The vacation begins when you start the car... It's all in your attitude. It's the entire journey... not just reaching the peak! I guess I'm like Ferdinand the Bull... you need to take time to smell the roses, and then it's all good... (plus it sounds like you and your family all travel well, so that helps...)

-NavNut

Last edited by NavNut; 04-11-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Agreed

|Yes, that makes sense. We like traveling and seeign the world (well, the Eastern US) pass by in two days is pretty cool. I'm a big traveller (having worked in 25 countries) and this is a pretty good way to travel: at least you see things gradually change.

It's basically this sequence: Snow -- Firtrees -- Deciduous trees -- scary cops in scary hats -- Elvis followers -- ocean -- warmth -- palmtrees. Interspersed with the constancy of McDonalds. Looking forward to it!

Michael
Old 04-11-2003, 10:33 PM

Sounds really fun... I wish I could do that right now... I could use a break... even in just 8 days. It'll be a bit of a whirlwind, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

Great scary cops comment, btw!

-Navnut
Old 04-11-2003, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Thumbs up Driving is half the fun!

Well, I have driven across the States (coast-to-coast) 5 times during my younger days and enjoyed every bit of it.....yes, taking side trips and sniffing the flowers too!

Now that I am in my late 50s, the desire is there, but unfortunately I get sleepy too soon. A 3-hour drive down to Seattle can be a chore.

Mwillems, do it....enjoy the drive and company of your family. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:48 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Convinced

Okay, I am now convinced - the 'sleepy' comment convinced me. I am 44 now, and I suppose yes, eventually will be getting older and sleepier too, so now is the time. I am still used to operating on zero sleep (jet lag, early rise to catch a plane, etc) so this is it. I'll give you all running report on the E320!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 PM

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
I remember growing up all the way until I went to college, my parents and brother and I would usually take a 2 week vacation every summer and we would hop in the station wagon and drive. I think the longest trip was about 7K miles, we would start out with a general idea of where we wanted to go and make side trips and see whatever we wanted and basically enjoying.

Now that my parents are no longer on this Earth, I realize that those trips were not about what we saw and where we went, but WHO we went with...can't wait until my kids are a little older so I can do the same with them...something to think about....
Old 04-11-2003, 11:36 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
True words

Originally posted by abhansali
...Now that my parents are no longer on this Earth, I realize that those trips were not about what we saw and where we went, but WHO we went with...
That is so true. In my case, too, this is an opportunity. I normally spend my days and evenings working (how else could I afford the Merc!) and half the year traveling, and never take time off to be with the kids. Well, I am looking forward to this!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I love cross-country trips. I've done it 7 times now between Chicago and LA, and as soon as I'm at my destination, I want to turn around and do it again. The freedom of the open road is awesome. The best one yet was last year when I drove Route 66 it's entire length. I've done the trip in my '89 Honda 3 times, my ex-girlfriend's '97 Civic twice, and my Tacoma twice.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 PM

W211
Seems like you're looking forward to it Enjoy the trip!
Old 04-12-2003, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Originally posted by mbtech208
I love cross-country trips. I've done it 7 times now between Chicago and LA, and as soon as I'm at my destination, I want to turn around and do it again. The freedom of the open road is awesome. The best one yet was last year when I drove Route 66 it's entire length. I've done the trip in my '89 Honda 3 times, my ex-girlfriend's '97 Civic twice, and my Tacoma twice.

mbtech208, yo da man, Road Runner! Yes, the open road is simply awesome.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Don't forget the pleasure of driving your new car all that distance.

I drove from Seattle to Las Vegas soon after picking my car up. About 3000 miles round trip. Loved every minute.

In two weeks we are going to do a trip through Louisanna, Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama as we have never been down there. Had airline tickets lined up and car rental figured out.
Just decided to drive (I have lots of time) and just see more country.

The car makes these trips very easy and enjoyable. I will try to not make any reference to the lack of navigation in this thread and save it for the others.:p

Enjoy your trip.

Ed
Old 04-12-2003, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by etenn
In two weeks we are going to do a trip through Louisanna, Mississippi, Georgia and Alabama as we have never been down there.
Last August I also drove through Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. Talk about the worst time of the year to drive through the South, the humidity and bugs were unbelievable. It was very scenic though, especially the swamplands of Louisiana.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:09 AM

Volvo S80
Hi,
As someone who lived in South Africa I was used to driving long distances and enjoyed it. I have driven from Harare in Zimbabwe to Cape Town in South Africa leaving at 0400 hours and arriving in Cape Town for lunch the next day. Approximately 2000 miles. Of course that was in my younger days. However residng in the Uk the roads are a nightmare. To do 150 miles can take you nearly 3 hours.
I don't think there are any really open roads in the UK such as we had in Southern Africa and like you have in the States.
How long on average would it take some one to drive from the East coast to the West coast? This something I would really love to do. I really miss the love open spaces, no congestion and solidute!
Old 04-12-2003, 05:34 PM

2003 E320
I love road trips, and it sounds great to me!!
Old 04-12-2003, 05:45 PM

1998 ML-320
Me Too!

Originally posted by rickyfanmdr
I love road trips, and it sounds great to me!!
Me too! Last year, I drove from NC to Va Bch to Las Vegas to Indiana to NC - 5600 miles. Took the "scenic" route - I70 out there, I40 back. Lots of "side trips". Loved every second!
Old 04-12-2003, 08:41 PM

I usually go cross country in a very leisurely way... I will drive 500 miles or even a little more in a day, but I like to take side trips along the way.

Two of my friends drove from New York City to LA to see me one year, and they drove straight (one slept, one drove) and did it in a little under 55 hours... Not too bad... but that's a haul... around 3000 miles... When I did the same thing, I did about 6000 miles wandering through the Grand canyon, and Bryce and Zion, etc... and then up through the Rockies through Wyoming, and to Mount Rushmore... etc... and took about two weeks. It was a blast.

-NavNut
Old 04-13-2003, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Sorry but I have a slightly different opinion

My decision to drive or fly would depend on whether or not your kids travel long distances well. If you have 5 or 6 year olds who will have to stop frequently to use a bathroom, who fight incessantly, or who ask every half hour "are we almost there", then I think flying is the way to go. The trip down I-95 is also not the most scenic drive either. If the goal is more time in good weather, and I might add it was an amazing day in south Florida today (75 and clear skies), then flying would afford more time.

However if it was a trip down the Pacific Coast Highway or through the Smoky Mountains I think driving would be preferred.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:59 AM

2013 S550
If I'm going from point A to point B for a vacation, the A-B and B-A travel is a chore. Anytime, anywhere. I've driven 14-15 hr. trips and I hate it. Flights to Europe and Hawaii are okay 'cause I nap part of the way and can flip through the movies -- otherwise I'd hate them also. If it's over 3 hours, I almost always fly. I'm a Type A traveler. Once I get there, I shift to a mellow Type B mode and completely lose track of time. So, my vote -- fly.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Seattle to LA in 15 hrs is fuuuuun
and of course LA to Seattle in 15 hrs lol

east to west coast I think it would take about 3 days
friend done it not me
Old 04-13-2003, 05:38 AM

e500
can i come too
Old 04-13-2003, 06:54 PM
BEC

E-500
I agree - go for it.

Just allow yourself some extra time for side trips. One of the things that I always enjoy is finding the small, local restaurant. Usually, it turns into a very pleasant visit and an excellent meal. I know that you will enjoy the ride in your E.

By the way, I just took a round trip to Boston, about 500 miles RT, and it was like a walk in the park. The weather was lousy most of the way, but it made me appreciate the car more.

Have a good trip.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:16 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
OK, I have listened carefully and we'll drive. It will be I75 so not at all scenic - even less than I95 - maybe we'll "do" the smokey mountains on the way back. 14 hours a day driving is boring especially at 65 mph.

But on the other hand it is family time and the kids travel well - I don't hear "are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet" too often. And when we get there, we'll have a Merc there instead of a Chevy!

One other minor concern is the car itself - it's a new E320 and I have been warned by various people here that as of late, Canadian cars in the US (especially southern states I am told) get scratched due to Canada's anti-war stance. I shall take that with a pinch of salt and will assume people are more mature than that.

Michael

Last edited by mwillems; 04-14-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
Everytime you park your car someplace, just leave a bag of French fries on the hood and let it take the abuse instead of your car...
Old 04-14-2003, 06:36 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Well, that occured to me... things could be worse. Even though I am in fact Dutch, the car is German made and Canadian registered... but it could have been FRENCH Canadian!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving 4 days for 4 day holiday: am I crazy?